Silentlambs--ELDER LIABILITY ALERT!!!

by Investigator 22 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Investigator
    Investigator

WTS Attorney--Moreno—Who’s Screwed?!?

The legal liabilities are rapidly mounting for Congregation Elders & Kingdom Hall properties. This will involve all legal matters especially Pedophile cases. As Pedophile cases start getting filed this will no doubt unleash massive lawsuits by others Disfellowshipped, Blood Transfusions, especially with the January article to doctors world wide in the British Medical Journal. And those long time JW’s who were DF’ because they were deemed to be apostates. This will no doubt hit critical mass as the Government starts its investigations.

I know what I’m talking about after serving as an Elder for decades and in most all capacities available for appointment. If you are an Elder, or you have friends that are, please send this memo to them.

The New Boys of the GB and the new directors that replaced them in Oct. don’t have a clue what is coming their way. The old GB did, and think they will be able to dodge the legal artillery that’s ready to be unleashed. The old GB didn’t do it because, “They are going to devote more time to study”, come on do you really think they would willingly give up legal control if they thought they had any options? Living on the East Coast I don’t live all that far from the headquarters.

This corporate move was set up so the Attorneys and PR men like Moreno and Brown and others in their depts. could run this Org. Who are talking to the reporters so far? No GB or directors.

Here’s what is happening!

1- At the Elders schools we go to every 3 years the idea is given that we are covered by the Societies liability insurance. If we get sued that might have worked when they had outside insurance, they cancelled the policy we were told, and now they are self insured. Do you think they will turn loose of any more cash then they really have to? I don’t think so. They could be in a real pickle if inundated by multiple suits or class action suits. There is no large insurance company to fall back on anymore.

2- Read between the lines in Moreno’s and Browns’ comments, The Paducah Sun Newspaper 1/28/01 Paducah KY. First of all, this case could have been enough for WTS Corp director/GB changes not counting past and future similar cases. Anyway col. 3 par 1 says concerning the Pandelo case, “Carl and Barbara are arguing an appeal that the witnesses elders cannot claim ecclesiastical privilege because they are volunteers, thus unpaid, clergy”. In Col. 4 par 1 the reporter says both Brown and Moreno said, “That the Elders, who volunteer and are essentially untrained clergy, might err in their application of policy.” Untrained, doesn’t’ that make you feel special? Very Interesting! Elders I hate to tell you this but in reality you are on your own! The WTS legal and PR depts. are well aquatinted with the strategy of Pandelo’s attorney and are saying what Moreno will no doubt say to all elders. ‘You are screwed, because you screwed up’, in effect.

Moreno used this highly dignified Christian terminology in the Courier-Journal news of Louisville KY on 2/4/01 as told by the reporter Peter Smith. Pg. 4 last par(computer copy). “Once in a while, in a small minority cases, Elders screw up. They screw up because they don’t call here (WT legal dept.). When they call here, they don’t screw up.”

Elders are in a very, very, bad catch 22 situation. Even though every time the CO comes he trains us with the Flock Book and letters of direction from the Society (which we don’t get copies of, often) and every three years we have a 2 day seminar which we are often told legal procedure but told not to write it in our copy of the Flock Book, only on other paper. And then at Circuit Assemblies with the CO & DO taking turns outlining procedure. Untrained??? Maybe nothing in writing from the WTS on these very legal situations, but nonetheless we are trained, even thou Moreno and Brown say no. How does that make you feel, as they are trying to shift the liability?

If you want to even feel better call or write the legal or service dept and ask in writing what are the details and limits of liability for Elders. I have not known of one elder who was given a definitive reply. You are on your own!

It’s encouraging though that Brown says on pg. 11, “that Pedophiles also might not be sent into neighborhoods where they might be recognized as molesters.” Are you as Elders fully aware of where the Pedophiles in your cong, are working at ALL times? How about the pedophiles that move in, that have been convicted, but you were not notified by his, or her, previous cong. This happened in our hall! There are plenty more scenarios for liability. Browns words in the Christianity Today of 3/5/01 were most reassuring of our spiritual paradise, ‘The incidence of pedophilia is no worse in his religion then in others’. Maybe he was thinking about Moreno’s comment as quoted in last Sunday’s Louisville’s Courier-Journal. “If people could not count on confidentiality when they go and confess to a Catholic Priest, there’s going to be quite a chilling effect on religion.” So are we saying the WTS is on par with the Catholic church & their priests in the above matter?(“no worse then”).

Friends, take a moment and realize what is being said, how it’s been said, by the individuals the Governing Body of JW’s has appointed and given authority to speak for them, we have to wake up and ask some very important questions.

How could this be happening if this is truly God’s Org? Is it? Are we truly Boreans or are we blind followers? It’s time to figure it out on our own! There was no Org for almost 2000 years. I’d say we need to really study our Bi8bles without Org. interpretations and see if it really says what we’ve been told. I’ve heard recently the key is to try and see what the whole chapter is saying and what the 1st century Christian would have expected it to mean. I don’t believe it’s all that complicated.

RECOMMENDATIONS

1—As Elders, have the CO-DO or WTS put all directives in writing that could create any liability situation. No excuses (They will say we have to trust mother, God’s org) Don’t they tell us to put all matters in writing that could create lawsuits with our brother. Stand up like Bill Bowen, and others, God Blesses the Jehu spirit. Do you want to lose your home and everything if the WTS determines you screwed up. By the way that’s great language when talking about pedophiles Moreno, it show’s a lot of fellow feeling and support.

2—Have your attorneys cancel all family or individual wills, trusts, etc. you have pledged to the WTS. Do you want your family assets going down the drain in future lawsuits which could run into the mega millions—It’s estimated that the Catholic Church has paid out between ½ to 1 Billion dollars. This might be possible if as Brown suggests, ‘the incidence of pedophilia is no worse in his religion then in others’!

3—Even though the WTS has demonized the internet, what are they afraid of? I understand if we just start looking we can find dozens if not hundreds of sites about JW’s. Don’t believe anything negative unless you can verify it, the truth should be able to stand up to any scrutiny!

Moreno’s closing words; “What was the Harm?” Moreno said. “The report got made. You’ve got a teen, who has been molested, upset at the elders for not calling the police?” he said. “You can call the police. You’re the one injured. Who makes the laws? Not us. Don’t blame us for the laws, please. Talk to the state legislators in Colorado.” Moreno, I thought we were not supposed to get involved in politics—remember neutrality.

Please copy and send out to one and all. Especially Elders, CO’s & DO’s.

I believe timing is critical! Protect yourself, and your families financial interests. Get professional Help!

The above quotes were taken from these links;
    http://christianitytoday.aol.com/ct/2001/004/23.html
    http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2001/02/04/ky_jeh.html

InvestigatorJW

• TR
    TR

Can you say "out of court settlements?" I knew you could.

Cha-ching!

TR

Edited by - TR on 11 February 2001 14:31:33

• neyank
    neyank

Just like a corporation.
    When things start getting rough, let the weakest links suffer.
    I guess from the sound of it,the weakest links are the elders.
    They are going to be the fall guyes.
    Even though all the elders do is follow orders from "MOTHER".
    Imagine that.
    Coming from an orginization that claims to be Gods sole channel of communication.
    God doesn't work that way.
    Only a man mad religion does.

Thanks for posting that Investigator.

neyank

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Investigator
    REALITY ALERT!
    I can see those of us who still have ties with the congregation printing out your post and bringing it to our elders. Maybe we should wait until the C.O. has a meal at our house and give him a copy also.
    What do you think would happen to someone that did that?

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• waiting
    waiting

A Big Thank You Smooch?

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Frenchy,

You asked: What do you think would happen to someone who did that?

The answer is, they would be set free.

• logical
    logical

Hi

How could this be happening if this is truly God’s Org? Is it? Are we truly Boreans or are we blind followers? It’s time to figure it out on our own! There was no Org for almost 2000 years. I’d say we need to really study our Bi8bles without Org. interpretations and see if it really says what we’ve been told. I’ve heard recently the key is to try and see what the whole chapter is saying and what the 1st century Christian would have expected it to mean. I don’t believe it’s all that complicated.

I will attempt to answer that for you. I will start of with simple answers, and will go into more detail as time progresses.

"How could this be happening if this is truly God’s Org? Is it?"

Firstly, identifing whether Jehovah's Witnesses are God's people. Go back in time, to the days of Israel. 3 things set them apart as being Jehovah's possession, these are:
    Called by God's personal name;
    Monotheistic (one God concept);
    Iconoclastic (no icons in worship)

In 1931, the Bible Students became known as Jehovah's Witnesses. They took upon Jehovah's name for themselves, as an identity. They also reject the trinity idea, and refuse to use icons in worship. They have a basic framework of the truth, for example, using scriptures to show there is no eternal hellfire for the wicked, and the above.

Hence, Jehovah's Witnesses, when adopting the name they now carry, in 1931, and underwent rededication, and too selected for themselves, the Name of God, as their Name, now becoming a "people for God's Name," namely "Jehovah's Witnesses." (Acts 15:14-17) They were thus, accepted and taken into the New Covenant by Jesus Christ, in the fateful year of 1931...and as such became members of the New Covenant in 1931...no mediator necessary to GET INTO THE COVENANT...they simply became "Israel," by becoming a "people for His [God's] Name." -- Acts 15:14-17

History tells us, they were the FIRST RELIGION TO DO THIS , and thus started the "Divine Name Movement," since that time. There is no INTERNATIONAL organization on the face of the earth today, that carries the Name of God upon themselves, even as we speak...that's internationally-speaking.

Jehovah's Witnesses, are UNIQUE ... from an international perspective. They were the FIRST in the Divine Name Movement... they started the whole thing... and they are, and still, the ONLY international group carrying the Divine Name upon themselves, and finally, they are clearly the LARGEST group carrying the Divine Name earthwide, bar none...

...that's

(a) the First to accept the Divine Name upon themselves,

(b) the Only international group carrying the Name upon themselves, and

(c) the largest group on earth, carrying the Divine Name upon themselves. Jehovah's Witnesses...history confirms.

They are unique, clearly.

Jehovah’s Witness ARE NOT the righteous group that they claim to be. They are in the same predicament as the Jewish nation in Jesus day, in an unapproved state.

Carrying Jehovah's name brings upon them a mighty responsibility. How important is Jehovah God's name? Is it not the most important thing? So, shouldnt the group carrying the most important name in the entire universe be as close to perfect as humanly possible?

Unfortunately, they are not. This will be explained in the next post.

>>> http://www.geocities.com/logical_7/index.html

• ISP
    ISP

Hmmmm................

So far as I can see an Elder could be responsible in relation to the child abuse issues in the following circumstances

1. Not notifying the Branch on the event of coming across an instance of child abuse and as a result not notifying the authorities as required. This is the 'cover-up' situation. The inaction would have to be shown to be causative of prolonging the pedophile's ability to abuse unchecked by the WTS rules and authorities.
    2. Failing to remove a pedophile from office/position and that position was causative so far as the subsequent abuse was concerned. Using a known pedophile in a congregational responsibility and that position was causative of the abuse.
    3. Failing to warn the congregation if the elders know of a pedophile coming to the hall and that the failure was causative of the abuse.

The abuser will and always be primarily responsible and will face criminal charges. However a family who have suffered may point the finger at others including their own family, the elders and the WTS and seek to pursue a civil action. However I would say the WTS will generally be responsible for the failings of elders. The elders are appointed by the Branch after all and serve as their representatives until they are removed. In my opinion, only where an elder flagrantly violates the WTS position on pedophiles will he be personally responsible.

This is my perspective and I don't mind any input from elsewhere. Here in the UK all child abuse matters are reported to the police as far as I am aware. I don't see any particular reason for elders to be overly concerned of being sued personally unless they deserve it. If they deserve it-so what.

ISP

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Scorpion

You asked: What do you think would happen to someone who did that?
    The answer is, they would be set free.

You evidently know very little if anything at all about being a JW all your life.

ISP

3. Failing to warn the congregation if the elders know of a pedophile coming to the hall and that the failure was causative of the abuse....I don't see any particular reason for elders to be overly concerned of being sued personally unless they deserve it.

There is no provision for a body of elders to make such an announcement before the congregation if either one moves in or if judicial action is taken locally against such a person. Elders are prohibited from making such statements from the platform.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Frenchy,

Sorry you lost your personality, or did you have one?

Maybe I should have clarified what I said in response to you.

Edited by - Scorpion on 13 February 2001 2:19:0

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit