Bible Hoarders.

by scotoma 11 Replies latest jw friends

• scotoma
    scotoma

I was really turned off by the segment of the meeting dealing with the Watchtower's Bible Collection. I thought I was at the Antique Road Show on PBS.

What was that all about? It was so bizzarre for these "annointed" ones to get off on collecting these old printed bibles.

You can get excellent scans of just about any historical document.

Looked like a personal hobby of Sanderson the nararator.

There is something idolatrous and at the very least a sick display of the hoarding instinct in the glee coming from getting their "paws" on these treasures.

What a disappointment to see a religion started by people who wanted to abandon all earthly things and join Christ in the air, fawn over these relics carefully preserved as a memorial they can fondle.

Are they really in the museum business now? Maybe they ought to build a shrine.

Also the table with all the notebooks used buy the NWT translation committee. If those notebooks are so valuable why don't they scan them and put them on line so we can see what their thought

processes were. Since they are hiding their identity that ought to be the least these "scholars" should provide.

Instead they hoard these relics and try to generate excitement over the scrawlings of these faceless "experts". Didn't you feel priveleged to get a 5 second view of one of the pages of this historical project?

We now have Watchtower treasures just like the Vatican. The only difference is that the Watchtower isn't 2000 years old.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Heh, very nice points. I suppose that single table of notebooks and the Bible display is the 120-year old Watchtower equivalent of the 500-year old Vatican Library with over 1 million items.

• bildad
    bildad

I can think of lots to criticize, but not their Bible collection.

You can see the Mona Lisa online too, but it's not the same as actually seeing it.

Since they are supposed to be a "Bible" Society, I applaud more emphasis on the Bible especially if it would include less emphasis on WT writings!

I take it you don't go to the Museum often which is fine of course. I agree, I think it was a pet project of Sanderson.

• TD
    TD

Well call me a hoarder. I have a nice collection and wouldn't mind seeing theirs. It's been one of the few hobbies my (soon to be exJW) wife and I could enjoy together.

• scotoma
    scotoma

Bildad,

I love museums. I wish it could all be under one big roof. I am a serious visitor to museums. I actually read what the curators write. I actually listen to the audio tours.

I believe in museums as an instructional tool and important function of society.

But what the hell. The Watchtower denies us the luxury of such "frivolous" non Kingdom pursuits. They would frown on expending our personal resources and time with a hobby.

Ray Franz said that Karl Klein advised those who have an inclination toward critical thinking to take up a hobby so they don't become apostates.

Apparently that's what Sanderson has done.

• clarity
    clarity

Wish I had known .....just got rid of all my bibles & bible commentaries,

geez ...just imagine seeing your 50yr old green bible behind glass haaha

>

I think now a pet rock collection will be just be great!

clarity

• rebel8
    rebel8

WHAT?! They are selling the notebooks?!

• scary21
    scary21

My thought was........just trying to copy the Catholic church ......again !!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I did not see it. It sounds like a scene out of a tour of the Vatican Museum. Do they have any truly valuable Bibles? Historical ones or art Bibles? I purchased a King James Version with color plates of Rembrandt's paintings of Old and New Testament stories. The Bible is beautiful but a little too heavy to wield.

My father served at Bethel and collected leather bound Bible paraphernalia and other translations besides the NWT. There prob. wasn't a NWT when they were active. All the JW material looked so authortative lined up in our home. Now I view it as very funny. The colors of the WT books are a hoot. We had magenta, purple, you name it. They had a whole Pantone scheme going in the 1960s. It was not very respectable looking. I can just see law books lined up in magenta or orange.

I either get angry recalling the Witnesses or laugh so hard. There is no intermediate position.

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

Inquiring minds want to know how much the german bible costed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit