REACTION from my neck of the woods...

by problemaddict 30 Replies latest jw friends

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Hello all,

As some of you may know I am in the midst of a fade, working on the family coming along (new thread to update there). Most mf my close friends are still JW's to varying degrees. I would say most are couples that are around our age (25-35), and they attend maybe 90% of the meetings, go in service on Sat, pioneer in April, and have a couple bible studies etc... In general the good kind. None serve in the hall yet as servants, but probably will at some point (or have, but were removed for something silly).

Anyways, these people do NOT shun me. They know my stance to a degree. At the very least I slide the snarky remark in there sometimes because we are close. These are really good friends, and for the most part I trust they will remain that way. So they went to the annual, and got their bibles. Basically here was the overall reaction from them, and that was noted by them about their halls. (they are all in different halls)

1) The bibles construction is fantastic. They love the way it looks and feels (read....less cheap than the last one).

2) The contents, table, explanations, and simplification is GREAT. Basically all they did was change the word harlot....I mean that only makes sense right?

3) In some halls, even they were uncomfortable with the reaction of the crowd. One woman in a hall when they announced and showed it on screen said out loud "I want one!" and stretched her arms out. Three women around another friend were all crying when they got theirs.

4) People felt it was long but that it was almost like another special assembly day thing since they didn't have meeting and did the WT. This makes me think, maybe this will be something they will experiment with as far as conventions, or other assemblies.

Ok......thats it.

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks problemaddict. Informative feedback. I note the way Witnesses will decry emotional displays in other religious organizations but exude it in their own. The hands reaching out for a new translation reflects amazing superficiality. As if the world needs another "new, improved" version of the Bible!

The emotions and tears of appreciation are a tiresome staple of JWs' appreciation of their earthly leaders - a shame they do not channel this emotionalism into worship of their God.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Frothing and swooning.

It reminds me of a documentary I saw about North Korea and how they feel about "the Leader". A women wanted her sight restored just so she could look at a picture of "the Leader".

• Emery
    Emery

Heard of several people in my area crying when they got their bibles too, this really disturbs me.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Guys they said she was tapping her legs and reaching out her hands. My friends thought it was a little "weird" and "crazy" to say the least. it was at this point that I let them know its not uncommon for translations to revise editions based on new information every 10-15 years easy. This was 60. They were due.

There is no such thing as a "new bible", if you think about it. :)

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

There's always the occasional nutter in the group, I wouldn't judge the majority by the extreme cases. I do know a JW woman with no emotional control or mental filters... who knows it might be the same one!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

New light from god's own publishing house, it cant get any better than this.

but as with all the other past new lights, this too shall pass.

Food at the proper time typically and regrettably ends up in the toilet eventually.

• carla
  • rubadubdub
    rubadubdub

A local dub called me today bursting with news--

The Stanley Theater had brothers from 99 countries.

1800 Locations around the world

8 meetings per KH per day

"The logistics were amazing!"

"This summer's weather was perfect for printing bibles-- Of course, Jehovah was blessing the work!"

The RNWT has "13% less content, although, it is a correct tanslation for modern usage."

"So many sisters burst into tears of joy as they received their new bibles!"

Dub: "This was an historic event!"

Me: "Why do you say that?"

Dub: "Because it was the first Annual Meeting where they did the Watchtower, so we didn't have to go to another meeting."

She didn't go to her assigned meeting (no surprise there), so the attendant says, "You're not assigned here are you?"

Dub: "I am a servant of the true god Jehovah; LEAVE ME ALONE!", as she walked away! Gotta love her!

• Flg8ter
    Flg8ter

I heard the same thing....crying when they got the new bible......I guess the old one wasn't good enough!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit