The new translation of John 17:3 seems like a major shift.

by paul from cleveland 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rosyray
    rosyray

1st time poster but long time lurker (edit: oops technically this is my 2nd post, completely forgot about that)

"Coming to know you, coming to know you" lol

Quote from David Splane:

"It is not the act of taking in knowledge in itself, but the actual coming to know God that's important. Developing a firm, close, warm, personal relationship with Jehovah God, that is what is going to lead to everlasting life and that is what we wish for you."

As soon as I heard this, I seemed to remember that they had made a point in the past about other translations using the terminology "to know."

So low and behold, a search of the Watchtower Library brought me to:

*** w02 12/15 p. 8 par. 5 “Draw Close to God” ***

According to John 17:3, Jesus said: “This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.” Many translations of this verse differ slightly from the New World Translation. Instead of saying “taking in knowledge” of God, they simply render the verb “to know” God or “knowing” God. However, a number of scholars note that the sense of the word used in the original Greek involves something more—a continuous process, one that may even lead to intimate acquaintance with another.

So first they criticize other translations for simply rendering the verb "to know" and now they have deemed it holy in their "New" New World Translation! Such hypocrites!!!! Ugh!!!

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Can anybody tell me if in Acts 15 they hint more or even use the term "Governing body"?

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe

Braincleaned they changed older men to elders in acts 15

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Wow... so they are pushing the Watchtower Nov.15th "Obey to Elders and GB" thing ...

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

@rosyray: Yes, I remember them making a big deal in articles like that one over how the NWT used the wordier "taking in knowledge". However, as you said, the NWT now reads "coming to know", which is in fact different from most Bibles, which simply say "know". So I think they felt that "coming to know" was a more streamlined way of expressing the same concept as "taking in knowledge". Both describe a continuous process.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Braincleaned, they use the term Apostles, and Elders, now in Acts 15

• davidl7
    davidl7

Rosygray wrote 1st time poster but long time lurker (edit: oops technically this is my 2nd post, completely forgot about that)

"Coming to know you, coming to know you" lol

Quote from David Splane:

"It is not the act of taking in knowledge in itself, but the actual coming to know God that's important. Developing a firm, close, warm, personal relationship with Jehovah God, that is what is going to lead to everlasting life and that is what we wish for you."

As soon as I heard this, I seemed to remember that they had made a point in the past about other translations using the terminology "to know."

So low and behold, a search of the Watchtower Library brought me to:

*** w02 12/15 p. 8 par. 5 “Draw Close to God” ***

According to John 17:3, Jesus said: “This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.” Many translations of this verse differ slightly from the New World Translation. Instead of saying “taking in knowledge” of God, they simply render the verb “to know” God or “knowing” God. However, a number of scholars note that the sense of the word used in the original Greek involves something more—a continuous process, one that may even lead to intimate acquaintance with another.

So first they criticize other translations for simply rendering the verb "to know" and now they have deemed it holy in their "New" New World Translation! Such hypocrites!!!! Ugh!!!"

I don't see the hypocripsy here...In fact, when interpreting John 17:3, the WT has always emphasized that it refers to a having a relationship with Jehovah God and Jesus, NOT just head knowledge. Once you know the true God, God himself would KNOW YOU...that's the way it was always interpreted. Many NT lexicons also included the term "taking in knowledge" or "having knowledge" as an alternative rendition for John 17:3. And the WT has quoted numerous times from other translations when citing John 17:3. So I don't see the hypcripsy there...all the nitty-gritty over a word, which basically has the same root meaning. It reminds when people would some would get hysterical over the NWT rendering of "underserved kindness", instead of "grace", when the Greek Bible dictionaries and lexicons clearly state that CHARIS means "undeserved favor" or kindness or "unmerited loving kindness". It means the same thing!!!!

• rosyray
    rosyray

@rosyray: Yes, I remember them making a big deal in articles like that one over how the NWT used the wordier "taking in knowledge". However, as you said, the NWT now reads "coming to know", which is in fact different from most Bibles, which simply say "know". So I think they felt that "coming to know" was a more streamlined way of expressing the same concept as "taking in knowledge". Both describe a continuous process.

I don't see the hypocripsy here...In fact, when interpreting John 17:3, the WT has always emphasized that it refers to a having a relationship with Jehovah God and Jesus, NOT just head knowledge. Once you know the true God, God himself would KNOW YOU...that's the way it was always interpreted. Many NT lexicons also included the term "taking in knowledge" or "having knowledge" as an alternative rendition for John 17:3. And the WT has quoted numerous times from other translations when citing John 17:3. So I don't see the hypcripsy there...all the nitty-gritty over a word, which basically has the same root meaning. It reminds when people would some would get hysterical over the NWT rendering of "underserved kindness", instead of "grace", when the Greek Bible dictionaries and lexicons clearly state that CHARIS means "undeserved favor" or kindness or "unmerited loving kindness". It means the same thing!!!!

I am new to all of this, so be patient with me as I vent my new found frustrations about this religion with you all. I have seen that this is a safe avenue to do so and also a place where I can learn to refine what I say in a more concise manner and not have my every word be picked apart (I get enough of that at home). I am not trying to be nitty gritty about a word, my apologies if it came out that way.

I simply wanted to agree with the OP when he said:

Up until now, everlasting life was dependent on "taking in knowledge". It was a perfect fit for a publishing house to interpret that scripture that way. If we didn't keep up with the endless stream of publications from the Watchtower our salvation would be in jeopardy. Now that they've changed the translation closer to most other bibles it reveals that salvation comes by knowing God and having a relationship with him not how good our study habits are.

And also I have been lurking such a long time and I really have benefited from the posters on this forum. I just wanted to start participating on this forum as well. I thought that others might find that w02 quote interesting. What I wrote was just my initial reaction to what I had just heard. Maybe I should have thought about it a bit more before I posted something, but I was really eager to get it out.

Thinking about it now, I guess I feel that saying "to know" is acceptable and in my opinion it does mean that it involves something more than just knowing a person at face value. Especially if my life depended on it as the scripture says, I would want to know everything about that person including their past, present, and to keep involved with them as time goes on - hanging on their every word. However, I do realize that many people probably do need a more precise clarification to convey greater depth or they might try to take the easy way out with the scriptures.

I do know that the Watchtower has always taught this point of view about taking in knowledge and having a relationship with Jehovah and Jesus. And yes I would agree that saying "coming to know" is more "streamlined" and more clarified than just saying "to know." When it comes down to it, my issue is that the Watchtower in the w02 12/15 article criticized other translations for simply using "to know" instead of their "taking in knowledge." Making them seem more elevated. Saying "taking in knowledge" and "coming to know" are fine with me, but I don't think its wrong to just say "to know."

Hope that clarifies my point.

• rosyray
    rosyray

P. S. When I am quoting other people in my reply, how do I get it to appear in the pretty yellow box? I stared at all the buttons in the reply area forever and I couldn't figure it out myself. I even tried to search on here how to do, but couldn't find anything that worked for me.

Help

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

Hi Rosyray, Thanks for the 02 quote. I agree with your initial assessment. The wording makes a difference. It doesn't mean the same thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit