The new translation of John 17:3 seems like a major shift.

by paul from cleveland 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• allelsefails
    allelsefails

I had this talk with my wife the other day. I was frustrated that "gnosis" is translated "taking in knowledge" which sounds like an intellectual procedure. (Exactly what JWs want it to be.) But gnosis means getting to know someone in a personal way. Like I "know" my wife but I can never "know" George Washington. I can "take in knowledge" about good old George, but I can never Know him.

At least it is one thing they got right in the change.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Rose I agree with you. Spot on. Welcome!

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Knowledge is dangerous and they know it. It implies that someone should do research and find out more about this god personality and his kid and this organization. Take in knowledge about "Jehovah's Witnesses" means to Google them and then click through the first 1-5 links. To get to "know" an invisible, non-responsive person can only be done through someone's interpretation telling you how to interpret his lethargic non-reaction towards you, this person has powers of understanding that cannot be tested but are known to be true regardless. To get to know the organization means that the organization is likewise an invisible hand, a force which you should get to know intimately by someone else with these powers of understanding explaining it to you.

"Taking in knowledge" would be to research and establish tests and scientifically prove something which does not yield positive results for either a deity or a religion.

You can read all about George Washington (to use the previous example) and take in knowledge and this knowledge can be tested against using proof (historical documents, DNA testing etc) to see if your knowledge is accurate. Getting to know GW is currently impossible unless you claim some supernatural power and even if you did claim to possess such power, such cannot be proven.

You cannot take in knowledge about Zeus or Thor or Jahweh or Jesus, you can only take in knowledge about their literary and historical significance but you cannot take in knowledge 'about' THEM as a person (because they never existed nor is there any proof they did). You can get to know Thor if I tell you how (it involves hammers and blonde dudes with nice abs)

• smiddy
    smiddy

Welcome to the board rosyray,say what you want to say, and express your own opinions ,your free to do so here .MOST people are nice and accept anothers viewpoint.Take care.

smiddy

• jhine
    jhine

Welcome Rosy , I agree with your point that taking in knowledge of someone is different to knowing them , and the example of GW above is spot on .

I often get worked up about a subject and just type !.

My NIV says

" Now , this is eternal life : that they may know you , the only true God , and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent . "

I do not know about the NWT( old or new version ) but my NIV cross references that with Php 3:8 .

"What is more , I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord , for whose sake I have lost all things . " NIV .

The study notes say

"Not only a knowledge of facts but a knowledge gained through experience that , in it's surpassing greatness, transforms the entire person ."

The Philippians verse is cross referenced with Jer 9: 23-24 . I will quote 24 in particular in case it is different in other translations

"but let him who boasts boast about this : that he understands and knows me ..... "

Other references are then given for that verse , which are a bit numerous to go into at the moment . I appologise if the NWT also gives these cross references but I think that they are relevant , so worth mentioning .

Jan

• carla
    carla

Rosy, to highlight something look on the box right above when you are posting, cut and paste the portion you wish, then see the on the far right an icon that has ab and a highlighter pen looking thing? click on it and choose the color you like, highlight the portion you want. You can pick any color you like.

pretty yellow box?

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Not just coming to know, but their continuing to know, or rather, their taking in knowledge of God and Jesus Christ results in everlasting life.

w50 10/15 p. 390 par. 3

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

There is hypocrisy involved, IMHO. The reason is this, the WTBTS has always said that other translations were inferior to the NWT, even though somehow, some way, you could learn the truth from any translation. Like the "trusty" KJV, LOL!!! That killed me at the AGM! Back to the point, the NWT is superior to all others, yet contained numerous "issues" that have been solved by the release of the RNWT, which just happens to follow the pattern of Christendom's easier to read versions. The only real difference is the insistence on adding JEHOVAH in even more places where it has NEVER been found in the oldest extant MSS. So to constantly say how superior the NWT is compared to Christendom's Bibles, and then remove "spurious" verses while at the same time relying on the Bible Cannon provided by Satan's churches, is hypocritical IMO.

Really, nothing has changed. Coming to know GOD will mean the same thing to JWs as it always has. Being a baptized dub and following their prescribe list of spiritual activities required for life, as determined by their collective Pope, the GB/FDS. They said as much at the AGM. They are simply modernizing to survive. When the END does not come in the next decade, it will be interesting to see how they evolve.

DD

• Londo111
    Londo111

Matthew 5:3 is still horribly translated.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

What verses? Are you looking at the right version? It's all "elders" where I'm looking (1 Tim 4:14; 5:17 and Titus 1:5), only Titus 2:2 still has "older men".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit