5go's AGM summary and review

by 5go 10 Replies latest jw friends

• 5go
    5go

I am writing this from memory I didn't ake notes so forgive me if it is out of order.

Sumary

It started off with the annoucement of a bible display (Mueseum) being built that focuses on Jehovah's name in the bible. (I found it funny that few if any bible predate the 12th century because that's when the word Jehovah was created bet that get's left out) The speaker went into the work done searching for various and the miracles donations and loans that happened to bring this about. Many poor bethel brothers donated their stipend (I get that that was dropped in to guilt the brothers into thinking about how they aren't donating their share) to find the rare bibles.

There was several hints that a bible was about to be released. A video interview of those that attended the last release plus a video that constantly stated that the old translating comity did not want to reveal who they were. (but all through the program they hint it was the GB and writing dept. of the time)

Then came the big reveal a grey NWT bible. I have to say even though I am out I was exicited to get it. It's a nice parting gift. Every there was exicited as well but you did get a feeling in the audience that hey this is it. No the end is nigh just a new bible. Also it is going to be fun at the meeting from now on as this bible is to be used right now. As anyone know that never goes well in the corporate world you need a phase in time.

Finally we come to the part that almost gave me up and I do believe gave a fellow apostate in the building the app show I had to really hold back the laghter as it was clearly trying to hard to make them look cool to younger ones and relate to the tech culture. I would say to a level it worked on the crowd.

Review

Simply put it felt like any other corporate meeting. If you have ever had the plessure to go to one or at least see one on TV there is way to much attempt at humor. Which more often than not lead to akwards bits of silence and unease. This was a product roll out and I fully suspect this will become an annual event and replace the SAD or just be added to the calender it's for the most part free to them as it just required using halls.

Also this in my opinion could not have been streamed. It had to have been downloaded as the quote of timing was off between my timezone and theirs on the east coast. I could be wrong but doubt it. Also there was an interuption and it was quickly fixed with no chop ahead in time like streaming it was like someone hit pause on accident.

Also it felt like a show put on by the GB to cash in on their fame in the society and like someone said become visable pope like leaders.

So that is it.

• Listener
    Listener

"A product rollout" Great stuff.

Thanks for your summary 5go.

• 5go
    5go

Yeah the Irony is I love how this bible looks they picked my color but it still doesn't change my mind on anything.

The bible is a book written by men long ago and is falible.

The WT society is not in anyway in special comunication with her/him assuming she/he exists.

If anything this meeting proved to me they are desperate to energize the base.

It was a political pep rally and a product roll out rolled into one IMO fake video conference. I bet we see more of these.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I bet you're right. Thanks for sitting through that chunder-fest for us.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

OK, please forgive me for sounding like a rube, but what the heck does "AGM" stand for?

CyrusThePersian

• Simon
    Simon

AGM = Annual General Meetings

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Particularly enjoyed the Apple-esque rollout of the new App, with wireless headset and all. That was pretty entertaining.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Thanks! Back in the old days it was just called the "Annual Meeting." There was no "General" part in it, at least not that I remember.

• Gayle
    Gayle

1. How many of the GB, out of the 8, gave talks there? Was it three or four? or?

2. What is the cover binding made of; leather? or ?

3. What kind of 'cost' evaluation to the WTS for this bible? Only a guess, but how much can be estimated by members will feel obligated to 'donate?'

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

All of the GB spoke at some length. Technically, Br. Pierce was the chairman and didn't have a part. He seems to have a stuttering issue, so that might be the reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit