Newly released New World Translation still full of numerous errors and abuses

by yadda yadda 2 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

So "impale him" is equal to "To the stake with him" is it ? This is a prime example of their tranlating in a way that backs up their weird ideas.

The silly thing about this one is it really makes no difference to their recruiting work, most, if not all that they call on will say "Who gives a **** what the instrument of death was ? it was the death that was important".

They just get more and more silly.

• prologos
    prologos

"To the stake"* is more awkward wording than "impale--", but that

pointed end barbeque meaning had a wt mssionary being threatened with a gun by an ardent admirer of Jesus.

The cross of course is abhorred to the WT for the attending idolatry in BTG.

Are we not glad that we do not worship the sacred pole/stake? room for more misunderstanding there too.

* it does not sound right as a communal cry in a drama

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

http://tetragrammaton.org/wtarticle.html

Translation #1—An example of freedom from translation bias 
     Quotation: Isaiah 45:21, 23, 24 The evidence substantiating freedom from translation bias:
     "Is it not I, Jehovah, besides whom there is no other God; a righteous God and a Savior, there being none excepting me?...that to me every knee will bend down, every tongue will swear, saying, 'Surely in Jehovah there are full righteousness and strength." (NWT) The Hebrew text for these verses in the Biblia Hebraica uses the Tetragrammaton. The original readers understood that the text was using the divine name. By using the name "Jehovah" in this verse, the translators have preserved the original meaning of the Hebrew text. When reading this translation, the modern English reader understands that the passage is referring to God when it uses his personal name.
    Translation #2—An example of translation bias 
     Quotation: Isaiah 45:21, 23, 24 The evidence substantiating translation bias:
     "Was it not I, the LORD? And there is no God apart from me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but me. . .Before me every knee will bow; by me every tongue will swear. They will say of me, 'In the LORD alone are righteousness and strength.'" (NIV) The Hebrew text for these verses uses the Tetragrammaton. The original readers understood that the text was using the divine name. By using the capitalized word "LORD" in this verse, the translators have hidden the original meaning of the Hebrew text. The modern English reader may confuse this passage to be talking about Jesus of the New Testament. We do not know the intent of the translators, but the end result biases the passage in allowing confusion between Jesus and Jehovah in Isaiah's statement.
    Translation #3—An example of translation bias 
     Quotation: Romans 14:11 The evidence substantiating translation bias:
     " 'As I live,' says Jehovah, 'to me every knee will bend down, and every tongue will make open acknowledgment to God.' " (NWT)The translation of this verse does not follow the Greek text in the Kingdom Interlinear Translation. The Greek text uses the Greek word Κύριος. The original Christian readers understood that Κύριος was used in theSeptuagint as a Greek translation for the divine name and was later then also used for both the divine name and as a title for Jesus meaning "Lord" in their own Christian Scriptures. Κύριος is thus ambiguous. Nonetheless, it is a bias for the translator to presume to make a selection between the two meanings for the English reader when the original author left the first century reader to make their own selection.[15]
    Translation #4—An example of freedom from translation bias 
     Quotation: Romans 14:11 The evidence substantiating freedom from translation bias:
     "It is written: 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.'" (NIV) The Greek text for this verse uses the Greek word Κύριος. Irrespective of the fact that this word was ambiguous to the first century reader, the translators used the English word "Lord" which contains equivalent ambiguity for today's reader.
    Translation #5—An example of translation bias 
     Quotation: Philippians 2:9-11 The evidence substantiating translation bias:
     "For this very reason also God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every [other] name, so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground, and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father." (NWT) The Greek text for this verse in the Kingdom Interlinear Translation does not have any word or grammatical structure that allows the bracketed word "[other]." The bracketed [other] apparently results from a translation bias required to maintain a theological position unique to the group producing the translation.[16]
    Translation #6—An example of freedom from translation bias 
     Quotation: Philippians 2:9-11 The evidence substantiating freedom from translation bias:
     "For this very reason also God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every [other] name, so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground, and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father." (NWT) The Greek text for this verse in the Kingdom Interlinear Translation   uses the word Κύριος. The translators have correctly translated the phrase, "Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father."[17]
    [15] This is one of the simplest ways in which a Bible translation may be biased. Translation between any two languages encounters the reality that a single word in one language may be translated by multiple words in another language. Which word should be used may often depend on the meaning or context of the word in the original language. For example, the Christian Scripture reader in the first century would understand the word Κύριος (Kyrios) to have the range of modern English meanings of JehovahGod, the LordJesus, a slave master or employer, an owner, and a title of respect meaning Sir. The New World Translation appropriately uses thisrange of meanings in a number of instances. However, the Bible translator may bias his translation by choosing a particular meaning he wishes the translation to convey and eliminating other optional meanings which the original reader in Greek or Hebrew would have also considered.
  • label licker
    label licker

A while back didn't someone write that there were over 200,000 words removed from the latest bible? We are trying to find it and cannot. We would really appreciate it if you could help us since someone wants to see that.

Thanks a whole bunch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit