Accepting my own mortality, and the naturalness of death - the final step in my JW recovery.

by fresh prince of ohio 61 Replies latest jw friends

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

I don't know how people cope with uncertainty and death. We all want our own life to be a rich and meaningful experience. But what if it's not? What if there's really not much good happening in your life, and there's little reason to expect this to change?

My parents will likely only be around another five to ten years. I don't know how I'm going to cope with their passing. I think it is going to freak me right the F out. Like bad.

Life is full of pain and loss. And it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot happening other than that. I'm really on the edge today. I don't have a PLAN per se. I just wish it wasn't so difficult. I wish that there was an easy way to opt out. Why live when you know you will die? Why wait around for that to happen in some horrible way?

All I have to look forward to is increasing loneliness and isolation.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I agree that is one of the final steps of healing.

I think I would want to live forever, as long as conditions were right. In a paradise, without disease, crime and upsetting things, with people I love, and with endless things to do to occupy myself...

But you're right. It's not real. I think humans, as a species, have not yet fully evolved the ability to accept this. That's why we did this.

• Comatose
    Comatose

You need professional help and some short term prescription drugs most likely. The way you feel is not normal. Life IS good! It can be for you too if you seek help. Hang in there bud. Sorry it's a hard time.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

Rebel8, I've never heard of that movie. Rickey Gervais is one of the funniest people on the planet though. I may watch it if it's available on netflix or amazon video.

Comatose, I'm doing both. And calling these hotline numbers every day. And posting stuff here. And talking with friends, family, and coworkers. It seems that since I broke up with my girlfriend every day has become a mighty struggle to find a reason to go on. Especially on the weekends....the loneliness and isolation. Really gets me down.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I think you will be o.k. Most people are actually happier in their 50's & 60's than when they were younger- it's not that life is better, but they have ajusted more to life- found a balance, maybe. Seens strange, but I think it is true. Not that that will help you right now though, lol. Maybe it would help to try to work out what you really fear- death... or a life you're leading that isn't exactly what you want? In the words of the 3 Doors Down song... 'You've got to live this life you're given Like it's the only one you've got'. It's tough, and maybe you will have to take some risks to be able to live the life you really want and to get what you want out of life, but hey- it's the only way.

People are like light globes- some might flicker a bit at the end, like those energy-saving globes, and others might just go 'bink' at the end and go out like an incandescent globe, but it doesn't matter- what matters is how brightly they shine while they can...

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

I don't want to participate in existence any more. I want out.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

Well to those of who on this and other threads encouraged me to seek help...

I finally caved and will be starting on an Rx depression med tomorrow. So wish me luck. The past three months have been a real roller coaster ride, only not in the enjoyable sense.

• cofty
    cofty

Good luck fpoo! Well done on seeking help. I wish you well for better days ahead...

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

How long would a species last that did not seek to prolong survival? There is usually paticular emphasis on passing the age of procreation and seeing the successful genetic continuation before people are 'more' content to pass away.

This is not unique to humans, try drowning a cat/dog/tiger and see how keen it is for the big sleep. This hesistancy to die even in the animal kingdom does not logically conclude their right or natural progression to everlasting life. The emphasis on genetic continuation is also seen in the animal kingdom as paternal animals risk or even offer their lives to a predator of their offepring. Despite life being precious to an animal, its offspring are generally more so.

Being alive consumes energy, consumes time and space. To want to live forever is to deny the right of others to live at all. It is a selfish thing to deny the wonders of life to people who would never exist had some had their way of immortality. Simple physics and biology dictate that to live and breed for infinity would be impossible. To live forever and not breed would be a death sentence to the unborn.

Living forever is a very selfish want when examined in the realms of reality. Of course an ignorant and loyal to the end cultist/fundementslist could claim the magic of god as the answer, he could make the earth, universe and everything infinite..... Of course, introducing new forms of humans on a new planet in a new universe with new physical laws and new constraints may answer the dilemma, but gone is the notion of everything they claim. We would not be us, our earth would not be our earth and our universe not our universe, the life we did not want to end would not be our life.... Quite a different set of circumstances to where we began i.e. Living forever on a paradise earth. The irony of course is, this promise, this description, this concept is not found in ONE verse of the bible anyway, not ONE. Only ONE bible reading christian religion teach this,because it simply is not in the bible.... The Jehovahs Witnesses! They only introduced it 50 years into the religion themselves. In the 1930's they now had to explain why there were more than 144,000 witnesses as they had long taught that was the limit to the number going to heaven ( Ironically to explain away why so few people were JW's), What a mess!

But far from the JW message, the reality is that death and energy transfer is very natural, to not WANT to die is also very natural. There is no contradiction if you know your basic biology. Along comes a cult and takes advantage of these two natural incidents and hangs an untrue but seemingly logical fallacy.... If you dont want to die, death is unnantural, therefore living forever is natural. All the time they forget.....no ignore.....that they denounce the simple dog as mortal, yet no dog wishes to die either. The snake salesman is good at his job however and 8 million people want the product..... Everlasting Life, even at the expense of all the earth being wiped out by a deity for them to get it. All thiose men and women, all those children and babies... All those buildings to rubble...... all for a log cabin in a field and a panda in the garden, how disgusting! The snake salesman is that good at selling the product, not only do they want it, they believe they deserve it... EVEN at such great cost in human life and suffering at gods hand....why? Because they attended some meetings and placed some magazines...........

crazy.......

• MissFit
    MissFit

Hi Fresh Prince, I just wanted to see how you are doing. I know you were going through a rough patch.

I can relate. I also broke down and got on meds. I can really tell the difference.

I hope things are looking brighter for you these

days.

Do you have any updates you want to share?

Miss.Fit (I used to have a cute piglet avatar, now I'm hideous)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit