Not Forsaking Christian Gatherings

by StephaneLaliberte 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

At the meeting this week, there was a part about placing our trust in Jehovah and not worrying about food and shelter (Mat 6:33). The part was based on the 2013 Yearbook p138 and 139 where there were two examples:

1. A family went to their convention leaving their chickens unattended for a number of days, worried about if they would survive. Turns out 19 were missing when they came back. Yet, they ended up reproducing more than the neighbors that year end had more chicken than expected.
    2. Another family didn’t have anything to eat and caught nothing fishing. At the end of the day, they decided to still go at their meeting. After the meeting, turns out that some wind scared the fishes toward their fishing area and they caught fishes using a basket!

What caught my attention is that the first example would be considered animal cruelty in Canada. You can’t just leave farm animals unattended.

As for the second example, wouldn’t it bring shame upon the brothers and sisters in that congregation for not sharing anything to eat with the poor family? What about the example set out by the first Christians helping the brothers and sisters in Jerusalem for basic food (Act 6:1 - 3)? And if the brother was too proud to ask for help at his congregation... then, could we still say he placed his entire confidence in Jehovah?

Finally, why do they equal attending ALLthe meetings with putting your trust in Jehovah? I can’t see the connection.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Stupidity, cruelty to their domestic creatures, & negligence led to them losing their chickens, but noticeably, the Yearbook never even hinted at how they acquired 100 chickens within a year. Did their lottery ticket come up, or did they just stop contributing at the KH for that year?

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

They didn't say the total number of chicken they had in the first place. If they had 25 or 2000; who knows?

• hoser
    hoser

The biggest problem is that the people who these guilt inducing service meeting parts are designed for never come to mid week meetings

hoser

• Comatose
    Comatose

hmmmmm.... So god lets the Whitney Heichel get raped and forced to perform oral sex, but he saves chickens.

The reason I hate these types of experiences is that it says one thing very clearly. God was pleased with the chicken family but not pleased with Whitney... Or else he could have saved her right? Not very fair for all the people who didnt get a divine miracle in their lives to have to know god didn't care about them or their loved ones but that he did care about the chicken people.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Whether these stories happened or not (and there is probably some facts that have been left out), they aren't made for analysis. They are made to get you to do exactly what others want you to do. No questions asked.

They never analyze "not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together, as some have the custom," which is a far cry from "never miss a meeting (that we decide when and where it will be)."

At the most recent Memorial, the speaker opened his talk saying that all over the world people were gathering in halls, rented meeting places, schools and private homes in order to memorialize Christ's death.

He then went on to describe some who had to cross miles of jungle and croc-infested rivers to attend the Memorial. That's how important it was to be there.

I leaned over to my neighbor, who was sitting beside me with his IPad, and asked if I could type something in his little notepad app. I typed in, 'If you could meet in a private home, why would you endanger your family in a croc-infested river?' His reaction was to sit straight up with wide eyes. Very interesting reaction it was!

I should have added, "Who is this that is asking them to cross croc-infested rivers? Are hateful persecutors asking them to do this?"

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Comatose

This is what theists always fail to grasp (or consciously ignore):

If god is willing and able to give one person what they need, yet another person equally as devoted and deserving does not get what they need, no matter how much they pray about it, then god is neither loving nor just. He plays favorites, just like flawed humans.

It doesn't say much for god if he holds the life of a raped, murdered JW in less regard than chickens and a day's meal.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

If it is something good... it is coming from God... if it is not... it is always your own or Satan's fault

It is just that simple...

• WishingLiz
    WishingLiz

19 missing chickens = animal cruelty = not inspired of god to me

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Bobcat : Simply Awesome

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit