Whats your opinion on the best way to step down??

by Leander 26 Replies latest jw friends

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

You sounds like you are in a tough position since you seem to be pretty deep in the 'in' crowd - at least as much as your wife's family. You may have to just stick to your guns and site 'personal reasons' and not let it go beyond that. You could allude to the fact that it's too much stress, but I would site that as the main issue.

Trust me, they will push to have you remain on as MS, probably offering a reduction in talks, etc for awhile until 'you sort it out'. If you really want to, just force them to drop you from MS. Or as stated before, leave your name on the rolls, but accept no more talks, duties, etc. Once you stop going to meetings eventually they'll drop your name so as to not look bad for the CO. You WILL get questioned on the meeting attendance though.

• Leander
    Leander

I guess there is no easy way to do this. Cold turkey is probably gonna be the best way for me, I'll try to get this over with as quickly as possible so that I can get on with my life.

• out4good3
    out4good3

It's amazing how much madness and subterfuge one has to go through to honorably get out of this organization as if taking control over your life was a dishonorable thing to do. To say that it is a lie that these people micromanage the lives of those supposedly under their "care" is an understatement. It should be an easy thing to decide that you just don't want to participate in JWdom anymore for whatever reason and walk away but the WT chains you to them using your family as hostages.

Leander

You're in a tough spot. No matter what you do, the ripples through your family will be far reaching. good Luck !!!!

• Francois
    Francois

I like Xander's idea.

However, when a friend of my exited, he wrote a letter and mailed copies of it individually to the entire congregation. He gave his reasons, backed them up with appropriate scripture, and then he bugged out.

I still like Xander's idea. And it avoids so much family uproar. Wish I'd thought of that.

Francois

• metatron
    metatron

Simply say you are depressed and put it in writing.

If questioned, just repeat that you are depressed and refuse
    to go into it any further. If they call and try to arrange a
    meeting, just say no thank you.

Keep it simple - and don't offer any other details

metatron

• astroboy
    astroboy

When I began having serious doubts I tried stepping down (from MS) siteing personal stress...the elders refused to let step down but took my duties away to "ease my load."

I eventually took my family to another hall (same hall different cong.)

about a month later, 2 of my former eilders met me after my sunday meeting demanding why did I leave!!..dont remember much what I told them just basically I wasnt happy at their hall anymore and wanted to change...they gave me the strangest look and you can tell they didnt like what I did and/or said..made them look bad??? I dont know.

Anyhow, I soon faded out of the picture and my wife soon stopped going too.

• Spartacus
    Spartacus

Leander, I changed congo's and faded away, I attended one meeting and never returned. YAAAHOOOO!!!! I was an X-Elder!!! ....shake shake shake da da da da da daaa shake shake shake da da da da da daaa shake yo bootay shake yo boootay shake shake shake da da da da da daaa shake shake shake da da da da da daaa shake yo bootay shake yo boootay.

I know a brother who stepped down as an elder about a year ago and he just stopped going to the meetings. He told the brothers at the last meeting he attended that he was not coming back and it was nothing personal and nothing to do with the WTS (a lie) and it was a personal matter and to not try to contact him. When they called on him he told them not to call back everytime, he gave absolutely no details.

They tried and tried and then finally they got the message. I'm not sure what the state of affairs are at this point. But the last time I saw him he was happy with the sitaution.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Whats your opinion on the best way to step down...

Butt Naked!

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• patio34
    patio34

Leander you said

I'm thinking maybe I should just write a short letter saying that I'm stepping down for personal reasons and just leave it at that. I'm also thinking that I'm going to skip the slow fade routine and just stop attending meetings once I step down.

Metatron said

It seems to me that this is the best possible way to handle it. I have health problems, so i just continue to say that whenever anyone says anything. They don't really preclude my attendance, but any time you say you have problems from cancer treatments, it ends the questions.

All the best,
    Pat

• Spartacus
    Spartacus

Ditto patio34

Metatron said

quote:

Yeah, this is a good one, I like it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit