The Red Tent

by Panda 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• Panda
    Panda

A few weeks ago I read The Red Tent. The story of Dinah, not as told in the Bible. As we xdubs know the representation of women in the Bible is lacking. Jael has always been a favorite of mine and also that free love chick in Song of Solomon.
    So, The Red Tent is about Leah and Rachel and Jacob. The story takes on an archeological bent, because there would be no other way to describe the religion of those women or their lives by just referencing the Bible.

Okay...we won't ever know the REAL story of Dinah. But this is well researched and a terrific read. The author puts her own twist on the work arrangements and marriages according to well documented customs of the time. And of course the red tent itself establishes the female preservation of cultural rites of passage.

The author usually writes about modern day Judaism. With this book she shows her terrific talent for research.

If you've read this book I'd like to know what you thought about it.

• termite 35
    termite 35

I think I recomended this one a while ago...fantastic!!!I 've just lent it to 3 more people who were blown away by it!What a book,I could'nt put it down, I usually have 2 or 3 on the go but I could'nt with this one.It conjoured up magnificent mental pictures for me; the women were so sorted and strong; I loved the way they were so in tune with eachother,I loved the atmosphere of the book as a whole,and the dream like state it took you to at times.I tried to read it slowly so it'd last but could'nt!SO glad someone else has appreciated it as much as me-roll on the next one!

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Panda,
    I read Waiting's, my sister, copy of it. I really got involved in it. One thing I remember particularly as interesting was Jacob changing his name to Israel because he was afraid of retribution for his sons' slaughter of Shechem. Then he said "God told him so."

There were so many interesting possibilities in the book and I really loved reading it.

• outnfree
    outnfree

I, too, have read this book. It was recommended to me by my sister-in-law. I adored it!!! Leah is finally given her due as not only capable but lovable. The way the rites and customs were depicted made archeology and the ancient Middle Eastern world come alive for me.

Two of my daughters have read it -- 16 and 12 yrs old -- and also were riveted by Dinah's courage and fortitude.

I feel it's mostly a woman's book. However, if you're a guy and like books by Michael and Kathleen Gear about ancient Native Americans or by Jean Auel about early man, you might enjoy this as well.

outnfree

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts -- John Wooden

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

i read it too! i'm in a book club at work and it was the book i picked when it was my turn to pick. the people in my club all liked it too. was amazed at how much more fulfilling this story of dinah was than the one in the bible. what i remember of the bible story was "dinah was bad, she didn't listen and look what happened to her, she was raped!" found this version to be much more enlightening :) i gave the book to my friend for her flight home to japan. she loved it as well.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

I LOVED that book.

Interesting take on Dinah.

I also liked the background on midwives

I would recommend that book.

j2bf

• ChiChiMama
    ChiChiMama

I read this book right after a recomendation from a friend and I enjoyed it very much.The author brought this story to life.

ChiChi

• waiting
    waiting

I loved the book, all but the songs (could have done without them.) Just to see a woman's history. Lord! In 30 years of jw-dom, we never knew squat about what a woman's life was like back then.

Remember when Jacob was leaving with Rachel & Leah? Rachel stole her father's gods and sat on them - feigning that it was her menstrual time - and asked if he really was going to "expose her?"

Now, if Jacob was a follower of the true god, why did he allow Rachel and Leah (along with their kids) to worship false gods in his camp for all those years? Why in the world would he marry them in the first place - they were pagans? Because he wanted to preserve the family lineage - and his parents agreed with him.

I remembered reading this in the Bible, but when we came across stuff that didn't correspond with jw thinking......we just "put it aside."

It also showed what a shepherd's life was like - not mighty, just a herder. Rough, dirty, uneducated, life.

I remember reading in the Bible about Shechem wanting to marry Dinah, then her brothers savagely killing all the men. Why? Out of male ego - nothing else. Seeing that women were thought so little of back then, hard to believe that it was a devout love of their little sister. Of course, the Bible is silent about how Dinah felt when her first love was slaughtered by her proud brothers.

Btw, I thought the midwife information was cool too. In line with other ancient peoples. The women "had ways" with herbs & knew how to bring forth life - which the male priests couldn't do. Got 'em killed in the Dark Ages though.

Fascinating look at ancient women's life.

waiting

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

Read it last summer. So so so different from what we learned as JWs. It was one of the best reads i've had in a long time.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I read it last summer and passed it on to Princess and Venice and her Mom. All of us really enjoyed it. I thought it was really interesting that Isaac wanted Jacob to marry within his own people, not religion. They obviously weren't worshipers of the "true God" and Jacob didn't care. The story of Dinah was very believable, and could be how it really was. We really know so little. That becomes more and more evident to me.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit