The Red Tent

by Panda 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• Panda
    Panda

Yah'll are bringing tears to my eyes. A few of my friends have read this book but having xjws views are this side of heaven.

Do you remember The Red Tent explanation for Jacob(Israel) broken hip and beat up condition. Not a wrestling with divinty. A fraternal bout of comeupence! Good grief I loved it...Esau beat him up! I always wondered why the bible never told about any altercations between the reunited brothers, didn't we all know that Esau wasn't going to forget the sneaky Jacob (and mother Rebecca)?

I too agree about Leah's character. As jws we kinda took Leah as the ugly older sister. I prefer her as the wiser loving older sister. And how wonderful to see the women's own society (and let's face it)civilization.

Has anyone read the Unauthorized Version?

Any recomendations?

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Panda, You said:

Has anyone read the Unauthorized Version?

What do you mean by that? Is that a book?

• Panda
    Panda

Patio,
    The Unauthorised Version truth and fiction in the bible written by Robin Lane Fox. He is a historian who claims that he "believes the bible but not in god." He also wrote Pagans and Christians which I think I remember the WBTS quoting from !
    gooooo figure.
    I had to get a copy of it because I found myself wanting to refer to either the book itself or the refernces and sources Fox documented. If you get a chance get it at the library.

• Princess
    Princess

I loved it. I was asking my husband about the whole Shechem/Dinah rape thing. He had to admit that it didn't make much sense that a rapist would want to marry his victim and be circumcised! Totally changed our thinking in that matter. The part about the family gods was very interesting too. We were always taught that Rachel and Leah were good Hebrew women but I no longer think that was the case. Even though it is fiction, so much of it makes sense and it really has changed my thinking and beliefs about the Jacob/Rachel/Leah story in the bible.

Princess

• sableindian
    sableindian

Going to get this book tomorrow. Check out my post

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=37328&site=3

Dinah, guilty or not guilty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit