Bragging among JWs...

by ohnightdivine 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Stand for Pure Worship
    Stand for Pure Worship

It's sad that you percieve the boasting in Jehovah by zealous Kingdom Proclaimers as, bragging. Evidently you have nothing positive to boast in and so you view the happiness and spiritual pride of a True Christian with suspicion and contempt. The difference between True Christians and your ilk, is that we recognize our imperfections and sinful inclinations. Rather than throw our hands in the air and giving up our fight against selfish desires, we continue affirming our faith all the while praising God.

You see, so called Christians and that includes weaker JWs, seek to boast in selfish ways. They boast about their material posessions, their accomplishments within higher education, their prominence or social status as they want to be somebody in the world. Why boast in anything related to this system of things in consideration if it's impending collapse? Truly unreasonable! How much more sensible it is to boast in Jehovah by pioneering, or volunteering your time and skills for our projects in Warwick, NY? There's plenty of other ways to have a share in the organization. Regardless of how, when we stay busy in spiritual pursuits despite our weaknesses, we gain Jehovah's blessings and encourage one another by setting a good example. To discuss our theocratic activities and share our experiences with others is not bragging, but rather boasting in Jehovah.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Introducing your Bible Study to everyone at the Kingdom Hall- Yeah, that's right, my study is at the Hall!

Telling everyone that you won't be out "in service" this weekend because you will be with the RBC on a project.

Piling everyone into your new minivan so you can say how you decided to get the bigger "service vehicle."

Posting how you are going to be interviewed at the next assembly.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

LOL SFPW, I like your style.

I'm actually a little worried about how JWs are using stuff like facebook and instagram. Its almost like they are becoming more entrenched because they have this bragging outlet.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

SFPW - there are some who are sincere, but we are talking about the self righteous, hypocritical, and as the bible put it, those who do their charity only infront of others, and sit in the prominent seat.

• Sofi
    Sofi

While I was in, the internet was the biggest enemy. It was always discouraged in meetings to use the computer, unless it was for work or homework... but how things have changed and there's a jw.org so no more "the internet is devil's tool" type of thing. Now you can brag about your "theocratic work" online as well.

I remember the days before the assemblies and memorials. I didn't know anybody who was worries about what Jesus had to go through to give us salvation, what his sacrifice meant or even what the assembly was going to be about. Just thinking about what clothes to wear, if I have shoes that go with that dress, make up and do everything I could to SHINE, yes, shine because all of the sisters are there in competition to get an "spiritual" brother to look at them and start conversations. So, yea, I don't know how JW end up missing the point but in the JW world, appearances do count.

• ohnightdivine
    ohnightdivine

SPFW, I know what you mean and I understand where you are coming from because I have been also been sincere with serving Jehovah through preaching through these years. But some tend to rub it on those who are unable to do so out of "weakness". And there are also some who are forced to do it because they want to fill up the "time", which really made me sad when I was still a Bible study.

There are sincere and insincere ones. There are humble and arrogant ones. There are righteous and the overly-righteous.

The title of this thread only reflects my observation AND experience about JWs being proud about many things, not being different from what we perceive as "worldly" people.

• ohnightdivine
    ohnightdivine

Sofi, how true is that.

During the last memorial the sisters were very busy taking pictures of THEMSELVES in their beautiful dresses for half an hour. Nobody talked about the talk. It was all about the dresses and I knew how busy they were trying to get those dresses several days before the memorial.

Meanwhile, the invited guests had to wait while the photo session was on-going. Some had to leave first because their conductors were still busy. I'm not exaggerating. I felt a little ashamed at the time.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

" You see, so called Christians and that includes weaker JWs, seek to boast in selfish ways. "

Good to see you're such a loving and understanding Christian person, buddy.

Back to the topic, I'd say JWs are no different to normal people who brag about their kids, their houses, their work, and all that other stuff. And face it, JWs don't have much to actually be proud of because they're not encouraged to achieve anything or help anyone except in their cult and for their cult. It's not like they can produce some work of art, literature, research, or other legacy and go, "Yep, I did that. It was hard work, but I'm happy with the result." So they have to brag about little things.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

What else have they got?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

That's my point too

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit