I guess I was ashamed of the JW religion...

by Jim_TX 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

When I was a kiddo growing up, I wasn't one of those that we all heard at assemblies giving their experiences... "Here, let me show you the answer from the bible..." <reaching into their a** bringing out a bible>

No, I would sit there in the audience, and think... that person has balls to do that.

When I went to grade school, I tried to keep as low of a profile as possible. It was bad enough that I had to start the day by NOT saying the Pledge of Allegience like all the other school kids. That usually drew unwanted attention.

Then later, when the teacher handed out the seasonal mimeographed papers to be colored (which I loved to smell) - Halloween - No. Thanksgiving - No. Christmas - No. Easter - No. St. Patrick's Day - No. 'Well, here, then. Color these pretty fall leaves.'

As I got older, in the higher grades, it got a little easier, but I still had to keep a low-profile. I wasn't allowed to join things like National Junior Honor Society. No band (extracurricular). No choir. No joining football or basketball teams. Nothing.

Again, I wasn't one of those JWs that walked around the campus carrying a bible with me. It was a green bible. Different. Just like the religion. Different. Most other religions had cooler bibles - black with gold edging. Yes, I know that you could get one of those from the JWs, but you had to pay a lot for them, and my family was poor.

I also never took my 'study' books to school, either. I may have been dumb, but I wasn't stupid. I had a large enough target painted on my back as it was. I certainly wasn't going to have anyone ask me questions about what I was reading. Questions that I would have to answer. Nope. Not going to do that.

Somehow, I got through all of that and graduated. Oh - and I wasn't allowed to walk across the stage to get my diploma. Something about 'all honor goes to god' bull crap. So, I had to skulk to the main office later afterwards, and they gave it to me. No ceremony, just 'here's your diploma'.

When I went to a local junior college, I met this neato kid my age. We got along great! We had similar ideas, and we liked to talk electronics and stuff. One day, he came out to visit me where I lived south of town. My room mate at the time was one of those 'bible thumper' JWs that never passed up an opportunity to 'witness' - or in my case - embarrass me - in front of this friend.

My new friend looked at me - and I kinda turned beet red. I wasn't into preaching that much - especially to friends. I'm sure my friend left that day thinking... 'wierdo'.

I never saw any other religions being agressive like the JWs were... except for a few 'nut case' religions... I believe they were called 'holy rollers' or some such. My mom knew one of those, who would come over occasionally and preach at her... whilst she would preach right back at him. Neither got anywhere convincing the other. I think that they liked to argue religion - then tell others about how bat-sh** crazy the other was later to their friends.

Anyway... I got this thought this morning on the drive to work... I guess I was ashamed of the JW religion when I was growing up. Probably why I left it later.

Of course, nowadays, I have no desire to be in ANY religion. They're ALL nonsense - in my book.

Regards,

Jim TX

• inbetween
    inbetween

your description fits yery much my own experience

• designs
    designs

Embarassment of this religion was a major factor in wanting to get out. 1975 was huge. Fred Franz view of Creation another (7000 year days). Seeing and hearing several members of the GB live was another (A.Schroeder, F.Franz, D.Splane).

Pentecostals in our territory actually outdid us on who was the bigger nut religion.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

I would guess that you have summed up the feelings of the majority of children of Witnesses, including myself. Thanks.

I hate all religions and those who follow them.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

No birthdays, and in a class of 30, it seemed like someone was having a birthday every week, bringing in biscuits or cake that I wasn't allowed to have. Harvest festival, Halloween, Guy Fawlkes night, Christmas, Valentines, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's day. All little school events where I wasn't allowed, I couldn't take part, I was separate, different, not meant to make friends with the 'worldly children'.

Still, I made life long friends with my age group at the kingdom hall. The same lifelong friends who barely speak to me now I'm 'inactive'.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

My most embarrassing moment was being in the D2D work, and a girl who I had a huge crush on answered the door. If I could have died right then and there, I would have! I was always embarrassed to admit I was a JW...I usually said I was a Christian.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Jim_TX

I agree that you have acurately described many of us here on this forum. Growing up in the JW cult wasn't all bad but it did stunt our emotional growth and limit our view of the real world. As I look back now, I see that Rutherford and Freddy did everything they could to make JW's different. All the crazy stuff that they came up with was the opposite of 'normal' behavior. Anything that Christian religions practiced, Rutherford found a way to do or teach the opposite. Even the non Christian name 'Jehovah's Witnesses'. Rutherford chose a weird name that had to be so different so he could put his 'brand' on the religion. JW's are good people for the most part. Too bad we were raised in a cult.

• carla
    carla

No band? guess you were in the wrong cong! When my jw first joined the cult I was very surprised an elders child was in band! Naturally she had to put her instrument down for the holiday songs. I think when she got to high school her dad put an end to it though, either that or she lost interest and quit.

Your post is exactly why ex jw's with children should do all they can to keep their kids OUT of this so called religion and let the kids have a normal life and decide to choose later if they want to join a cult.

• cult classic
    cult classic

It was very embarrassing being different in school. And it was worse feeling ashamed for being embarrassed because I was different. Because that meant that I wasn't a good enough JW.

What a screwed up religion.

• KWJoe
    KWJoe

Jim, you described my childhood as well. I always dreaded back to school after Christmas......"what did you get for Christmas?" Or Monday morning hearing....."I saw you in my neighborhood wearing a tie and carrying a bookbag". I could hide pretty well, by the time I got to high school. Now that I think about it, I became a master of deceit.....I was also hiding the fact that I was gay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit