I guess I was ashamed of the JW religion...

by Jim_TX 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It wasn't until I left that I looked back and realised that even from pre-school years and including right up until today, I am deeply ashamed to have been in the religion.

I hid it well from everybody that I could, and when some found out I was a JW, or had been one, they would (will) often say "What you ? !!!!"

Just feeling that shame was a difficult thing to bear, and yet I was born-in, so very little is down to me, apart from being so bone-headed as to stay in so long.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

My husband had a very simular upbringing as you with the exception he was outgoing and enjoyed everyone there. He felt like you did when it came to school and not being allowed to do the fun things. The football coach begged his mom to let him play but she wouldn't give in but she did allow him to get involved it track and little league. He did have some "worldly" friends he could hang out with. They were very poor too because his parents were divorced since he was 6. Music was important in his family so she did find him a guitar and let him take lessons.

He was treated very well by most of them but I think it was because his family was one of the original families in the city and his grandmother was one of the "anointed" and taught piano. He did have some great roll models that he is grateful to have one being Taze! He will admit that things are not the same now. The congregations did a lot more fun things together back then and the elders use to really take an interest in the youth.

I feel for all of the born ins because a lot of their childhood was robbed. I know how uncomfortable it is to be at work and there is a birthday cake, or the Christmas party or being some place and the Pledge is said or the national anthem is played, it was always so uncomfortable for me to not be able to do those things. The child does not make their own choice, they are forced to do these things and they honestly lose out of so many levels.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit