Winning Oscar Means Disgracing Yourself

by Spartacus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• terafera2
    terafera2

on the topic of Denzel Washington...

what was up with Julia Roberts hanging on his arm in EVERY DAMN PICTURE????????????

She needs to get a life!!!!!

• Spartacus
    Spartacus

TeeJay don't get pissed, it's just an observation. I'm happy for both of them. I can't argue against your point of view, noted.

Peace, Sparky

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Spartacus,

"The Gladiator" is one of my favorite movies but I think just about any actor with a build could have done what Russell did in that flick.
    That movie was so well produced and looked very authentic, that was certainly a team effort in that movie. The Director and the Money spent on that movie for all the excellent props and design of the fight scenes made that movie great. Heck even Arnold Swartzennagger could have done it in that flick.

Spot on. Well, on second thought, maybe not the Swartzenagger part, but...

Marilyn

Have you seen Proof of Life?
    No, I took the critics advice on this one, and stayed away.
  • Marilyn
    Marilyn

SixOfNine, You don't think I actually left the house to watch Proof Of Life do you? My husband works in Hong Kong and he buys copy DVDs for $1 US. You name it, we've got it.

I think we actually watched all of P O L out of fascination for how terrible Crows acting was. Either that or we were too tired to get up and walk to bed.

Marilyn

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I didn't read through all the reply's yet but wanted to post a thought before I read further.
    This has to do with a documentary I watched not long ago about Sidney Portiae (don't remember how to spell his last name) ANyway he has alwasy been a sorta ICON as an actor since he first graced the screen even though we don't see much of him anymore in film.
    In the documentary he was said to be looked down on with in the black community for his performances even as brilliant as they were because of the charractor's he portrayed. He was a well educated extreemely sophistocated charming man and that brought him much critisim from the black community who wanted to see more black actors like the charactor "Shaft" get more recognition rather then a QOUTE "wus"

This is not MY opnion but the opnion that was shared via the documentary I watched.

If this is true then that would have to have a greater effect on the dicissions of the entertainment industry then we might realize.

Any comments on that?

http://ourworld.cs.com/pwmkwzy/home.html

• simplesally
    simplesally
    "The Gladiator" is one of my favorite movies but I think just about any actor with a build could have done what Russell did in that flick.
    That movie was so well produced and looked very authentic, that was certainly a team effort in that movie. The Director and the Money spent on that movie for all the excellent props and design of the fight scenes made that movie great. Heck even Arnold Swartzennagger could have done it in that flick.

Drats, Sixy, you beat me to this quote!

I have the DVD for Gladiator and I love the movie, and I agree, its not an Oscar for Crowe. And Proof of Life? No way. I didn't see his new one this year. But Denzel? Did he deserve it for this movie, No Way!!

Denzel played much better roles in Hurricane and Fallen. I saw Hurricane recently on DVD and loved it. Fallen is a great movie if you haven't seen it. Saw if before I got df'd and surely wasn't discussing the flick with others.......but now I can!

• Spartacus
    Spartacus

plmkrzy, Sidney Portier (I don't know how to spell his last name either) is and always was respected by the Black Community. He is an Icon of his excellent work. He inspired many a black people to go into acting and to shoot for the stars He is one of the all time greats of acting!

• teejay
    teejay

He is one of the all time greats of acting!

Spartacus,

Forget "acting." Sidney is one of the all-time greats, period. Nothing but class, class, class.

• detective
    detective
    The number of ‘firsts’ that Sidney Poitier accumulated is the primary reason that he is considered to be such a great pioneer. He was the first black actor to be nominated for a Best Actor Academy Award (1958 ‘The Defiant Ones’), and was the first black actor to win that award (1963 ‘Lilies On the Field’). He also became the first black number one box office star in 1967, after the release of ‘Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner?’

The article that Spartacus posted does seem highly biased. Poitier played a range of "respectable" characters and Farah Fawcett would be an example of a beauty queen playing down her looks to be a troubled, abused person in the burning bed. It just seems as if the author didn't really think out their argument or they would have realized the flaws in their reasoning.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Sidney Poitier -- my all-time favorite actor, bar none! What a man of character he was and is, and it shines through in his roles!

What a year 1967 was for this great actor - besides his role as John Prentice in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?", he starred as Mr. Thackeray (or "sir") in "To Sir With Love" and as Detective Virgil Tibbs in "In the Heat of the Night". Any one of the roles in those movies might have been "the role of a lifetime" for a more ordinary actor.

-J.R.

This post was not evaluated by any mental health professionals.
    Any opinions expressed are those of a fuzzy, cuddly rodent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit