Winning Oscar Means Disgracing Yourself

by Spartacus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• bigboi
    bigboi

Oh yeah I forgot about the original post.

Jumping through this "Hoop of Disgrace" even once, makes the role player a disgrace to himself, herself, his community, her community, and/or other Black people, all while Caucasians make that financial killing at the expense of maintaining good moral values, decency, and/or respect, as it pertains to those who make the headlines, or make entertainment history with respect to the community of Black America.
    Anyone know who the executive producer of Monsters Ball was?

ONE....

bigboi

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I thought Denzel did a great job as the scum-bag, skimming, ultra-corrupt cop in Training Day. The fact that he does good guys so well made it all the better.

Russell Crow deserves to lose a few oscars just for winning it for Gladiator. Pathetic. Even if you think the movie was great, his performance was nothing to win an Oscar for. He did "stoic" well, but wheres the Oscar in that?

• Spartacus
    Spartacus

Yo bigboi, long time no see. I thought I would drop in for a bit. I have not discussed the Oscars, just getting it out of my system.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Kevin Spacey's Oscar for his performance in "American Beauty" was well deserved. I do believe Denzel Washington deserved an Oscar for "Malcolm X" but sadly Spike Lee screwed up Denzel's chances of seriously being considered by the ludicrious, stupid, flakey ending he tacked onto it. ("I'm Malcom X!" So corny I was embarassed for the actors repeating this drivel) Anyone who has been through the JW experience will appreciate the story of Malcolm X which is so similar in many ways. Except he was murdered for his "apostacy" from the Nation of Islam.

• Spartacus
    Spartacus

SixofNine, "The Gladiator" is one of my favorite movies but I think just about any actor with a build could have done what Russell did in that flick.

That movie was so well produced and looked very authentic, that was certainly a team effort in that movie. The Director and the Money spent on that movie for all the excellent props and design of the fight scenes made that movie great. Heck even Arnold Swartzennagger could have done it in that flick.

LOL

• Spartacus
    Spartacus

Megadude, I can't remember how Malcolm X ended. You know the Academy did not like Spike Lee's outspokenness either. Perhaps if Spike was more low-key Denzel's chances would have been better.

Tell me how it ended I can't remember.

Thanks for your viewpoint.

Remember people we are just talking about acting, no biggy.

I think after 9/11 actors have been put in their place, they ain’t heroes and never was.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Spart,

I can't describe how painfully amateur it is. It turns into a statement on black pride, which in my opinion contradicted the spiritual rebirth that Malcolm X experienced. Spike Lee is definitely the kind of director who let's his politics get in the way of good film making.

• teejay
    teejay

Spartacus,

I began reading through this thread (not my normal m.o.) and started to get a little pissed. You started off by approving of Denzel’s “hatred” of the role he played in “Training Day” while denigrating Halle for her joy in winning the Oscar. Aren’t those two very different things? Doesn’t that make your initial post very flawed? I’m only asking.

How did Halle feel about the character she played? You didn’t say.

How did Denzel feel about winning the Oscar? You didn’t say.

These two professionals, and many others just like ’em, play-act for a living. They don’t have to really BE or even LIKE the characters they portray. If they do their job well (i.e., their performance is believable) then they are worthy of accolades. Their performance is all that matters.

Minority actors (even the “better” ones) don’t generally get the meatier roles and are forced to work with the scripts that come to them. You quoted (I suspect because you agree with what’s said?):

In order to win big, make the headlines in a major newspaper, or be seen world wide via the media, in the thoughts, vision, and beliefs of Caucasian Americans, Black people must be the worst in a character or characters... This certainly sends the wrong message of the meaning of success, and/or how best to achieve it, to our young people...
    If a minority wants to act for a living and they are choosey enough to wait for only “honorable” roles, I’m afraid that they may as well seek employment elsewhere because they will not be working very much, if at all.
  • Marilyn
    Marilyn

:::Russell Crow deserves to lose a few oscars just for winning it for Gladiator. Pathetic.

Well honey, you ain't seen nothing yet! Have you seen Proof of Life? Most of the time Russell Crow sounds like he's reading a Peter and Jane book. God knows how Meg Ryan fell for him during the making of such an inane movie.

However I'm an idealist (hence I woke up to the WTS) and I think they should give the Oscar to the best actor. Jerk or not.

Gladiator was a bit of a bore IMO. I also loved American Beauty and thought Kevin Spacey was great as was the wife (oops memory is hopelss) I haven't seen Malcolm X. I feel I have to see it now to check out the ending!!!

Marilyn

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

My son reckons Denzel Washington should have won the Oscar for Fallen - he says Denzel was 'wicked' in it.

M.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit