When did Theology Last add something to Human Knowledge?

by cofty 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• latinthunder
    latinthunder

Theology adds to the human vault of knowledge every single day. The study of the Divine is the most mentally strenuous action any human can take. Such mental work yields a high personal gain, much like lifting weights and building muscle. We were designed with the ability to contemplate the infinite, this is not by accident. To say theology has nothing left to teach us is pure silliness.

The greatest discovery man has made on this front is that God is Love.

• cofty
    cofty
    The study of the Divine is the most mentally strenuous action any human can take.

Sudoko and crosswords can also be mentally strenuous. As far as I know nobody gets awarded a PhD for solving puzzles.

Is there something more specific that you think theology has contributed to human knowledge?

• latinthunder
    latinthunder
    Sudoko and crosswords can also be mentally strenuous. As far as I know nobody gets awarded a PhD for solving puzzles.

Huh?

Is there something more specific that you think theology has contributed to human knowledge?

The issue here is that one can study God their whole lives and only yield personal benefit. That does fall under the category of "human knowledge" but I assume you are speaking about knowledge that everybody can use. Theology isn't about linear discovery, that's what Science is for. If 100 people follow 100 spiriutal paths you get a pile of "human knowledge", but it only benefits the individuals. It's sort of encrypted within the individual human experience.

A pitfall of religion is that they take a spiritual path tread by a prophet and then try to impart that experience onto others. It's been shown to not necessarily work which is why they often have to develop systems of enforcement which just puts them on the path of desolation. I think the human experiment of religion has taught us that spirituality is a deeply personal pursuit. I am not saying that we shouldn't share and compare notes, but it's going to be difficult to translate.

Theology teaches us how we can rely on God for strength. It teaches us that the universe is not a finite place and that things happen for a reason.

• cofty
    cofty

In other words you can't think of anything at all that theology has contributed to human knowledge in recent years.

Thanks

• cofty
  • adamah
    adamah

LT said-

It teaches us that the universe is not a finite place and that things happen for a reason.

Huh? Care to cite an actual scripture on the "universe is not a finite place" bit? AND, then an example of how that information has been useful to mankind?

As far as the "things happen for a reason", I suppose you've never read Ecclesiastes?

“Because time and unforeseen occurrence befall them all.”— Ecclesiastes 9:11 .

Adam

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

How about contributing to the knowledge and acceptance of the past historical elements of human ignorance,

perhaps as well the knowledge of social psychological behaviors of are ancestors.

Ancient mythology tells much in that regard.

There appears to be a strong logical connection toward human ignorance and ancient mythological beliefs and as well todays expressed theology.

• latinthunder
    latinthunder
    In other words you can't think of anything at all that theology has contributed to human knowledge in recent years.

Here is a list of human knowledge I refered to in my posts:

• God is Love
    • The human mind was designed with the ability to upgrade itself
    • Theology isn't Science
    • Spirituality is personal and difficult to express to others
    • Religion is a human experiment and comes with pitfalls
    • Humanity relies on God for strength
    • Existence is infinite
    • Everything happens for a reason
    • Not everyone agrees on theological results

Remember, Einstein said imagination is more important than knowledge. That's because he understood the true power of the human mind. He understood that we make it up as we go along. Like I said, imagination and theology are inseparably linked. Therefore:

theology > knowledge

There's some math for you.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"theology > knowledge" If you don't mind, I would like to when theology was greatest that knowledge in the following questions: Why are there clouds in the sky? Nahum 1:3 Why are some people blind, deaf, dumb or handicapped in some other way? Exodus 4:11, Luke 1:20 What causes thunder and lightning? Job 37:2-3 Why do we sometimes see rainbows? Genesis 9:13-15 What causes tornadoes to form? Jeremiah 30:23, Isaiah 40:24 Why are some women unable to have children? Genesis 20:3, 18. Samuel 1:2, 5 What causes earthquakes? Isaiah 13:13, Psalms 18:7 Why are some men afflicted with hemorrhoids? Deuteronomy 28:27, 1 Samuel 5:6 Take care, ismael

• Laika
    Laika

The belief that all humans have dignity because they are all loved by God is, I think, theology's greatest contribution to human society and remains so.

I find it comical when wealthy white men complain about how religion/theism has nothing good to contribute to society. It might sound compelling in university lectures but take that kind of argument to the 90 year old woman with no family who's only visitors are from her local congregation, the addicts anonymous group meeting in the basement of a church or the salvation army soup kitchen and home and see if it makes sense there.

Like millionaires sitting in a country club discussing the benefits of gutting the welfare state...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit