The distinction between cult and religion.....

by NoRegrets 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Ask ex-Mormons their opinion about the Mormon religion as a cult. That should tell you all you need to know.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

No, I'd prefer to ask current believing Mormons. I've talked to too many obnoxious, rude, boorish buffoons who have left the church for what I believe are spotty reasons. That would be okay, but most often they turn into bitter enemies of the church. I had a good friend who left the church and it was all he could talk about. I told him, "Look, don't become a basket case. Just drop it and move on." My wife, a non-Mormon, got to where she no longer wanted to be around him. His family is still very strong in the church. He kept promising to send me irrefutable evidence that the Book of Mormon was a hoax, and I promised in turn to read it, but it never came. (Also, if there was any credible evidence, I'd know about it.) So I'll go with the active members....

• cantleave
    cantleave

I'd prefer to ask current believing Mormons. I've talked to too many obnoxious, rude, boorish buffoons who have left the church for what I believe are spotty reasons.

Funny - that is EXACTLY what current JW's say about Ex-JWs. You can't see it can you? You are a member of one high control group and use exactly the same reasoning of another high control group that you have never been a member of, but feel qualified to criticise.

• paranoia agent
    paranoia agent

Cold steel: if I leave the church am I shunned?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Paranoia agent - like the JW's officially they do not shun those that leave, but the reality is somewhat different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG8jI8jwArs

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

"The distinction between cult and religion lies squarely in how those leaving or those wanting to leave are treated"

Well, Cold Steel, the fact that you have the gumption to color the ex-Mormons you've encountered as "spotty" or "boorish" shows that you are trying to discredit those that left your faith in whatever manner possible. You say a lot of words but it can simply be boiled down to that opening quote from my original link. If you are not free to leave any group without being defamed and/or alienated socially that means that you're involved with a dangerous and destructive CULT!!!

• adamah
    adamah

If it's easier to join than it is to exit, it's a cult:

Adam

• zound
    zound

JW's aren't a cult.

They have a new FAQ on their site that answers "Are JW's a cult?". The answer is no.

Funny, I always thought it was yes - but apparently it's no.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I have seen Mormons post here and on other ex dub sites. The reason they do is that they face many of the same issues as ex dubs, family issues, due to leaving, guilt over going against their upbringing, and depression due to finding out they believed in a lie. My daughter in law was raised Mormon, she was on a mission when she realized she didn't believe the things she was telling others. The problem is, once you see the emperor has no clothes, you cannot simply go back and pretend you don't know what you know, it can be very difficult. I wrote a poem on the ABCs of JWs, another poster was inspired to write his own Mormon version. Same meat, different gravy in my opinion.

In my mind the culture is very similar, although specific beliefs are different. They don't enforce shunning family members as much as the Watchtower does, my DIL still sees her family. Alhough I have known some whose family did shun them. One young neighbor became an emancipated minor at sixteen, got a job and her own apartment, she didn't believe it and didn't want to marry young and start popping out more Mormons. Her family shuns her, but sent the elders around to check on her, her roommate said she was out turning tricks, lol.

I cannot fathom why anyone learning the TTATT would turn around and join another cult, maybe they need the certainty of thinking they have the only route to God, which makes them feel superior to those who believe differently, who knows? The things Cold Steel posts are just like the dubs, "don't ask an ex Mormon, talk to a current one". Right. The problem those in a cult never think they are in a cult, they will give you the edited, sanitized version, as they are still fooling themselves they are not in a cult.

Walks like a cult, talks like a cult, IT'S A CULT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit