If You Were A Bro(tm) Did You Enjoy The Prestiage Of Giving A Talk? Do You Miss It?

by LoisLane looking for Superman 41 Replies latest jw friends

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I was a Sister ( tm ). I was only allowed to give talks to my Householder.

You Brother's ( tm ), all eyes were on you.

What was that like?

Did you enjoy it?

Do you miss it?

LoisLane

• hoser
    hoser

They still assign me talks and I give them on the school. Is it a thrill, not really. The only thrill I get is when someone comes up after to tell me how great my talk was asking them what point they really enjoyed. blank stare. lol Then I say you obviously weren't paying attention if you can't remember what it was about.

hosre

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hoser - Kosher - Mosher... lol

LoisLane

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

Lois Lane, I am/was sister in congregation. I never enjoyed giving talks. I was a householder on the first theocratic school where sister delivered talks, so I started out early in life (11 years old first time 1959). It never became easier and I was thrilled to give up giving talks. Glad I wasn't a brother.

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

What was that like?

It was nerve racking but at times quite enjoyable, I personally felt like a well versed speaker so for the most part my nerves didn't show and I knew what I was doing. I used a lot of illustrations and tried to keep the audience lively during my talks, especially the public ones. The topics always seemed kind of boring though and the outlines didn't seem to make much sense.

Did you enjoy it?

I did but it became a drag because many of the "responsible" dudes would bail so on many occassions I was called literally a few hours/days before to cover a public talk.

Do you miss it?

No, I remember once I'd discovered TTAT and was still giving them I felt like a was contributing to the poisoning of minds. I lost all love for that aspect of service and although I have fond memories of the parts/talks I gave I honestly regret every last one.

• Laika
    Laika

I didn't enjoy writing or delivering them but generally felt good about myself afterwards if I did a good job. Given I was way too incompetent in ministry to ever start a study, good talks was the only way I could earn praise in Watchtower world, and we all need that sometimes.

• erbie
    erbie

Personally, I enjoyed giving talks very much as I am particular about knowing my subject inside-out. I used to love standing in at the last minute to cover for other brothers who were sick or late as this was a real challenge and would test my knowledge and personal study. I loved the adrenaline rush and the on-the-spot pressure that it incurred.

Actually, I may go back so I can do it all over again

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

Hoser, that's a good one- I should have done that too because I always felt like the people who said I did well had no idea what the damn thing was about.

Have fun erbie

• minimus
    minimus

I used to LOVE giving talks. I was told by many that I was one of the most requested speakers in the Circuit. HOWEVER, the last 3 years, I gave talks as a duty and instead of giving an average of one a month, I did a talk every 3 or 4 months. I started to feel , who the hell was I to tell everyone what they should or shouldn't do.

• James Brown
    James Brown

From 1972 to 1975, I enjoyed giving talks. It was my hobby, my avocation.

As a brainwashed young man, I thought I was doing something good.

After 1975, I knew something was wrong, I started drifting away and fading due to lack of interest and

feeling decieved and missdirected.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit