Do you have any "one-liners" for drive-by witnessing?

by Faithful Witness 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I am looking for things I can say in passing, when I meet some of my JW friends. We used to attend meetings, but have not been officially recognized yet, as apostates. We were good and curious students, but fell away and were choked out by weeds.

Since i will be renewing my bible student status soon, I am hoping this will open more windows into the organization. I hope to use this opportunity to attempt to turn on some light switches in there.

Do you have any ideas for simple questions I can ask, with sincerity, that might cause someone I know or meet, to start thinking critically?

I am not looking to be a smart aleck, but my husband is one who enjoys "stumping" people. He used to love doing that with the JW's, especially...

I've also had a few people ask me this very question:

How do I help my friend? What do I say?

I live in a smallish community, with an active JW population. It seems that about half the people I know, have a JW that has touched their lives. I know I'm getting my hopes too high, but this new light seems like a beacon to me... A spotlight, before the next warning, and the air raid sirens going off... Time is running short for these victims.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

You could ask the following questions : "Do you think as a JW you have.......

1. the right to complete and truthful information

2. the right to think about and analyze that information autonomously.

3. the right to feel whatever emotions one feels without fear of repercussions

4. the right to choose one’s own behaviors based upon thoughtful analysis of that complete and truthful information, in a way that produces real, positive feelings of joy and friendship – and unconditional love

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

You could ask:

1. Who told you that the 8 men in Brooklyn were 'God's direct channel of communication'? (Yup, they themselves via WT)

2. Why does Deuteronomy 29:10-15 state clearly that alien residents were participants of the Covenant, but the G.B. says the opposite?

3. Why did the G.B. sanction the teaching of 'New Scrolls' being opened during the millenium, when Rev. 20:1-12 says no such thing?

4. The G.B. says that a G.B. was used to resolve the circumcision issue; Galatians 2:1-10 indicates the spirit used Paul to do so. Which is correct?

• jgnat
    jgnat

"We missed you at the meeting."

"Charming that you missed me. You have my number. Call me and we will go for coffee sometime."

"The time is close to the end. You should return to the truth."

"Do you really want to know why I won't return?" (Getting permission is a powerful wedge to help people to listen).

"Is truth something you can put in a box or a building? Doesn't truth stand on it's own?"

"The time is close to the end."

"Brother Russell warned us it was close to the end, didn't he? That's been, what? Over a hundred years now?"

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

(Off topic)

@Searcher:

The G.B. says that a G.B. was used to resolve the circumcision issue; Galatians 2:1-10 indicates the spirit used Paul to do so. Which is correct?

Agreed. You might find this interesting... something that was pointed out to me just yesterday. In Acts 15, who was it that said it was "my decision"? It was James. Which James? Some scholars say James, son of Alphaeus. Others, including WTS, says James, the fleshly brother of Christ. If it was James, son of Alphaeus, he was one of the 12 apostles. If he was James, the fleshly brother of Christ, he was not (although WTS says he was an "apostle" (using quotes around the word) in the Insight book under James). If he was the fleshly brother of Christ and NOT one of the 12 apostles, how could he be part of the first century governing body?

Also, it was pointed out to me that the circumcision issue specifically revolved around the Gentiles. They were not disputing circumcision of the Jews. In fact, Peter had previously address the issue of the circumcision of the Gentiles earlier (see Acts 11).

Back to the topic...

• prologos
    prologos

off topic NOT, these are good one liners if you know that the JW, and

he / she is known to be knowledgeable.

he / she will be delighted to have found a kindret thinking soul

and dig deeper and hopefully out of the "holy" hole.

leaving-quietly: "-- how could he be part of the first century "governing body"?" follow with

But NOT part of the Faithful & Discreet Slave?

presiding over "spiritual food at the proper time" decision making?

spiritual food that is deemed binding today. in the bloody isue(s)?

New light that has a SHELF LIFE of nearly 2000 years ?

compared to decades before decay, at best, with wt writings today?

• Fernando
    Fernando

Why are followers of the Watchtower discouraged from reading and teaching the "Good News" according to Paul?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Why do JWs refuse Christian baptism to military personel when the GB in the first century endorsed it? Acts 10

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

@ LEAVING QUIETLY

This is what the Insight Book says about 'James';

it-1 p. 1251 James - "it was evidentlythis James (Jesus' half-brother) who was an overseer of the Christian congregation at Jerusalem"

They even state the evident truth that he was not one of the apostles!

It's evidently clutching at straws to assert something for which you do not have a shred of proof!

Falsehoods perpetuate other falsehoods!

• wasblind
    wasblind

The bright light that gets lighter ( Proverbs 4:18 ) shows that Jehovah's witnesses are

Always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowleged of truth ( 2 timothy 3:7 )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit