Musings about different types of atheist!

by Seraphim23 304 Replies latest jw friends

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Maybe the rituals are more of a 'pascals wager' than real belief? :)

• cofty
    cofty

It's debatable whether a coach should passively indulge a performer's superstitions, or help them to recognise them as "Dumbo's feather" and trust self-efficacy.

You might guess I favour the latter.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

But then the power of placebo should not be underestimated ;)

There is no ethical element to superstition and sports, so if it lets them have more focus and balance in their mind fulfilling those primitive needs.. let them have it ;)

You mean old coach you !

• scotoma
    scotoma

The world is NOT just forces and particles. The world contains information about relations between forces and particles. Information is weightless. Life is a special structure of relationships and introduces a new level to the universe. It introduces structures that perpetuate themselves. So basically the meaning of life is "life". Life is not a top down formation. It is a bottom up emergence.

Eventually, life produced sentient forms which make up a whole new layer that can plan and decide into the future. The laws that dominate in this sphere produce morality.

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

Is it a fair analyze that a "soft atheist" is not sure, but just suspect that God MAY not exists (like 55/45 % in chance)

and a "hard core atheist" is convinced 100% (he "knows") that God does not exists? (100/0 % in chance)

• cofty
    cofty

Yes good point Snare. My desire to win is greater than my opposition to woo.

My approach is to build self-efficacy in the vain hope that superstition fades. It never does!

• cofty
    cofty

Back to the topic....

Mr Fool - Somebody who thinks the possibility of god is 55%/45% just hasn't thought about it properly yet. They need to keep reading, thinking and debating.

I have never met anybody who thought it was 100% against.

Proof belongs in the domain of maths. For the rest of life we have to assess the evidence and reach a reasonable judgement.

I'm 99.99999524% sure there is no god.

Life is not a top down formation. It is a bottom up emergence. - Scotoma

this ^^^^^^^^

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

Cofty, so an "soft atheist" is still an igorant atheist until he reaches the 99.999 (kind of) % in belief (against the existence of God)?

• cofty
    cofty
    Cofty, so an "soft atheist" is still an igorant atheist until he reaches the 99.999 (kind of) % in belief (against the existence of God)? - mr Fool

Are you misrepresenting what I say just so you can try to score points, or are you genuinely interested in understanding how some atheists live happy and purposeful lives free of all superstitions?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Mr Fool, atheist means doesnt believe there is a god.

Most make the desicion based on the fact there is no evidence of a god and there is plenty of evidence explaining away the invention of gods.

Scientists will never say there is 100% no unicorns or fairies etc because it is impossible to prove that statement. Likewise the mindful scientific atheists (not better or worse than any other type) will say it with an element of probability i.e. it is unlikely....

For example I would say I am 99.99% convinced. If a christian wants to intepret that as "even snare thinks it is possible!" as many did when Dawkins said something similiar, then that is up to them.

Atheist does not come with any additional baggage, there is no more to say about that person in the label atheist, other than like you they don't believe in Zeus or Poseidon and the oher thousands of gods, only different to you they also reject yours."

As for you SCOTOMA, what the hell was that? Are you high? Mushrooms?

The world contains information about relations between forces and particles. Information is weightless. Life is a special structure of relationships and introduces a new level to the universe. It introduces structures that perpetuate themselves. So basically the meaning of life is "life". Life is not a top down formation. It is a bottom up emergence.

Eventually, life produced sentient forms which make up a whole new layer that can plan and decide into the future. The laws that dominate in this sphere produce morality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit