Musings about different types of atheist!

by Seraphim23 304 Replies latest jw friends

• latinthunder
    latinthunder
    Meanwhile back in reality science is healing the sick.

Correction, Science is failing at healing the sick (ultimately). With the big talk I have heard over the years I would expect so many human ailments to not exist, but they still do. This means that SOMEONE must be keeping them into existence. A constant barrage of new more complicated problems keep arising. It's this bizarre paradox, really, because healing the sick IS a way of mitigating uncertainty, but materialists believe that we will ALWAYS have people who "fall by the wayside" and they seem to believe that there will ALWAYS be "shit" that happens randomly. They are certain that there is, and always will be, uncertainty. But what they don't seem to realize is that it's THEIR belief in shit happening that keeps the shit happening. Because belief is a powerful human force that shapes reality as WE KNOW IT.

• adamah
    adamah

Cantleave said-

Interesting that people feel their reality is different to that of others.

Well, to be more precise, everyone has THEIR potentially-unique perception of reality, and no one else can say what another's experience or perception is. Obviously some people make their entire careers out of being movie reviewers (eg Siskel), based on the idea that their opinion might be shared by their readers, who look to their recommendations.

But there's no ABSOLUTE standard of reality, and no way to determine what reality really "is", eg a canine's preception of a tree is very different from a human's, very different from a squirrel's, very different from a bird's, etc. Even a logger and environmentalist tree-hugger are going to perceive trees quite differently.

But that inability to determine what a tree actually "is" is no excuse for inactivity, as the World is just too fascinating NOT to learn about and explore, simply because you can never understand it all and there's another stone to turn over to see what's underneath. Heck, if that were a valid attitude to adopt, then NOTHING would have ever been accomplished, just everyone sitting around and praying for "the answer".

I'm reminded of the words of 19th Century black abolitionist and ex-slave, Frederick Douglass:

"I prayed for freedom for twenty years, but didn't receive an answer until I prayed with my two feet!"

Adam

• latinthunder
    latinthunder
    What is true at a sub-atomic level is not true at the scale of objects with which we live. The moon really is there when you don't look at it.

What we see at a sub-atomic level is just a microcosm of the larger reality. The belief that the moon will continue to orbit the planet when we look the other way is was keeps it in it's predicted movement. If we started believing otherwise, eventually it would probably fall to earth and the laws of gravity would change. It's important to be careful of what you wish for, because it might not come in a positive manner. Once something becomes existent, it has a process of reverting back into nonexistence which is called destruction.

• adamah
    adamah

LT said-

But what they don't seem to realize is that it's THEIR belief in shit happening that keeps the shit happening. Because belief is a powerful human force that shapes reality as WE KNOW IT.

However much you want God to exist, you cannot will him into existence.

You're not Peter Pan, and God is not Tinkerbell (and Jesus and the angels are fairies), where you can make them real but only if we believe in them strong enough.

Adam

• cofty
    cofty

Yeah well yo go ahead and heal the sick and raise the dead with the power of your imagination Latin.

Don't let us tedious rational folk stop you.

Why are you still here? Go raise the dead and stop talking about it FFS!

• latinthunder
    latinthunder
    However much you want God to exist, you cannot will him into existence. You're not Peter Pan, and God is not a fairy where if only you'd believe strong enough, you can make them become real.

God already exists because people have believed in Him for a very long time. I merely wish for the idea to continue it's proper course. In short, I do not wish to kill God, I wish to liberate Him. Yes, that is my preference, but I believe that it's one that works for the benefit of all. I believe, like my ancestors, in a benevolent, caring God. And I AM Peter Pan. ;)

• latinthunder
    latinthunder

Yeah well yo go ahead and heal the sick and raise the dead with the power of your imagination Latin.

Don't let us tedious rational folk stop you.

Why are you still here? Go raise the dead and stop talking about it FFS!

OK, challenge accepted. Pay attention to the news over the next few years. Everything will change and it won't do so because of Science, it will do so because of Spirit.

• cofty
    cofty
    If we started believing otherwise, eventually it would probably fall to earth and the laws of gravity would change.

Nobody can be dumb enough to actually believe that.

I think I know who you are now.

OK, challenge accepted. Pay attention to the news over the next few years.

Bullshit.

You claim the dead can be raised by the power of your thoughts. Go and do it tomorrow and do it in public.

Put up or shut up.

• latinthunder
    latinthunder
    I think I know who you are now.

It took you longer than I expected.

• adamah
    adamah

LT said-

I believe, like my ancestors, in a benevolent, caring God. And I AM Peter Pan. ;)

Wow, well that was an easy self-diagnosis!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puer_aeternus

http://similarminds.com/types/peterpancomplex.html

Peter Pan Complex

avoids responsibilities,

people tell them they are childish and need to grow up,

would rather live in their head than the real world,

wants success to just happen to them,

focuses on fantasies more than reality,

believes they deserve to have whatever they want,

life lacks direction,

never know what to do next,

does dumb things frequently,