Did Jesus really exist?

by slimboyfat 97 Replies latest watchtower bible

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

@designs ,I'm fine with that we live in a free society it is your right and my right to differ

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I think Jesus existed because most scholars of antiquity think he did and because of the Turin shroud, which has been shown to be older than the carbon dating tests suggested.

• sd-7
    sd-7

As Douglas Adams wisely put it, he was nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be if everyone was a little nicer to each other. No matter how improbable, then, if we engage Improbability Drive, Jesus not only existed, he even came back, at least twice, ordered snacks, and then left to consume them. They were excellent snacks.

--sd-7

• sd-7
    sd-7
    the Turin shroud

At the very least, this is proof that Turin Turambar, son of Hurin, existed, or else why have a shroud named after him? Right? Right??

--sd-7

• sspo
    sspo

From Raymond :Why would the first 3 century Christians put them selves through persecution and violent death for a fabricated character?

The same reason why JW's would be persecuted or not take blood and die.

Same reason why a Muslim blows himself up so he can get 70 virgins.

All trying to please big daddy in the sky so that can please him and get a gift....sounds like Santa Claus to me

• Simon
    Simon
    Not including Bible sources, the following people wrote about Jesus:
    * The Jewish historian Josephus (A.D. 37-100)
    blah blah blah

The truth is, Josephus was no historian. He was a Jewish rebel captured by the Romans who weaseled his way up to being friends with the emperor who he also documented "ascended visibly to heaven" when he died. Yes, a reliable eye-witness that's for sure.

Oh yeah, and he was in ROME the whole time Jesus supposedly happened and also didn't actually write ANYTHING about him. The older the manuscript, the less there is with the oldest being in the margin in someone elses handwriting.

• Simon
    Simon
    I'm fine with that we live in a free society it is your right and my right to differ

You have a right to differ. You don't have the right to be 'right' when you have no evidence or facts.

The simple truth is there is no proof of Jesus because if there was, the church et al would be all over it. All the supposed evidence always end up being created hundreds of years later.

You claim there is more proof of him than Alexander the great and others? What an ignorant, ignorant statement.

• gymbob
    gymbob

Well Simon beat me to it, well said...

• Simon
    Simon

The other laughable evidence that the Jesus crowd always trot out is "well we know that was the name of Caesar and yeah, we know Romans and Jews existed ... so, the story must be true !"

I could name a thousand books or films that have real people, real places and real events in them that are about a fictional character. It's what people writing a story do to make it more believable - they use the world of the time for the setting.

It doesn't make James Bond, Harry Potter or any other make believe character 'real' beyond being a character in a book.

Although those books were actually well written and entertaining.

• jam
    jam

The problem I have with the Jesus of the bible ( I believe there was a Jesus the man),

is this. It's strange that we have Christ-like figures that pre-date Jesus.

What are the chances that two people have the same outlandish claim.

We not only have two but ten or more.

Maybe I miss something but was there a book that gave us some

idea when this Son of God arrive. If so which Jesus or some other name.

The other Christ like figures, Buddha, Krishna, Odysseus, Dionysus just name

a few that had the same experience as the last Jesus.

Did these people have the same book in order to identify this son of God.

Because it's mighty strange these Christ like Figures, was of a virgin birth, same

age when they begin their ministry, was told he would be ruler of the world, tempted

by the devil ( and respondent the same "Get you away from me"), selection of

disciples, celebration of the last supper, born in a manger and on the 25th of Dec.

and yes turn water into wine.

So the question, why are the stories the same and why would God send impostors?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit