The Lawsuit Landslide: Irwin Zalkin representing ELEVEN child abuse victims against Watchtower

by cedars 62 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• steve2
    steve2

Uncomfortable aha moment for Watchtower supporters: The organization is just like the churches of Christendom.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

problemaddict, I've heard so much about the first ammendment. what does it say exactly?A further question that comes to mind is that the US occupies an hegemonic position in the world and it is proud of the freedoms it stands for (and rightly so) but here we have extreme violations of freedom in civil society via the Jehovahs witness religion (an American religion) and as JWs are international what does this say about US hegemonic credibility on the international scene?

Lawyers like Mr Simmons (in the Conti case) have highlighted the overlapping space where religious coercion restricts the freedom of minors and harms them in the space that civil society also occupies and where civil law ought to operate. This is good news but the US justice system needs to get to grips with this aspect of religious domination and coercion and restrict their violation of an individual's rights in civil society. The US needs some victories at court on this front.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The Searcher - I suspect that ALL will hinge on the outcome of the Conti case.

I don't think that will matter. Conti was an unusual case in that Kendrick was not an elder. These cases are similar to the other ones that Zalkin have already had victories over, through out of court settlements.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Candace Conti , has been an exceptional strong woman who has resisted taking an out of court settlement and accompanying gag order for purely monetry gain . I just wish their were more like her .

This is the first I have heard of Irwin Zalkin , I hope he is an exceptional lawyer who can acheive justice for the victims he is representing.

smiddy

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

At least the Catholic leadership is starting to admit culpability and is trying to redress things. The Watchtower leadership is lower than them.

• Zoos
    Zoos

Given some of the drivel that passes for news worthiness these days, it absolutely amazes me that these stories are not gaining some significant headlines, if any at all. Has the Catholic pedophile scandal burned us out on the topic so thoroughly that the VFW Ladies Auxiliary 12th annual bake sale tops the news lineup?

• carla
    carla

marking

• sspo
    sspo

It's good to get out of bed and getting some good news like this. Of course not so good for the children that were abused.

Thanks

• Simon
    Simon

I think the reason this doesn't hit the news more is that the Catholic Church is much bigger and of more general interest to the population. The JWs are still a minority sect more of interest to the general media as a curiosity when they don't have much else to discuss (and mall shootings etc... tend to grab the headlines).

It was also 'new' when it was the Catholic Church - now it's kind of expected that churches will be involved with child abuse isn't it? It just seems to be in people's consciousness.

One things for sure, as more and more cases come out and most importantly are won then more and more people will start bringing cases and more law firms will smell the blood and come for a bite too.

• blondie
    blondie

Numerous cases have not toppled the Catholic Church. I'm more concerned that the victims/survivors get the help they need and that more jws might wake up to the dangers in their own congregations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit