The Lawsuit Landslide: Irwin Zalkin representing ELEVEN child abuse victims against Watchtower

by cedars 62 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"However there is a case in antoher state (I'm in Cali) that could breech that a bit. A person in the hall took a young girl and raped her. He recorded the rape because he was especially sick. He got caught and went to jail, but the elders on the judicial comitee sat there with the yound girl and the parents and listened to the tape with them, asking the girl to explain what was happening as they went through it piece by piece with pauses so she could explain what was happening.

Really? Imagine now how those parents must feel shame for not standing up, slapping those guys three stooges style and just walking out of the room."

The problem is that this is what takes place in EVERY court whenever an abuse case is tried, and slick defence lawyers are trying as hard as they can to destroy the reputation and coherence of the abused. And this I KNOW. From personal experience. For three hours that scumbag lawyer abused her for the second time thru his way of dealing with her in court, and managed to get the monster freed. While at the same time seriously hurting her. If only I had had a knife, the monster would not have been able to leave the courthouse with all limbs intact.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

theOldHippie

I am truly sorry this happened to your daughter

• besty
    besty
    The problem is that this is what takes place in EVERY court whenever an abuse case is tried,

Truly sorry to hear you and you daughter go through 2 ordeals.

I would beg to differ that kangaroo courts with no mechanism for redress or normal protocols conducted by untrained window cleaners is the same as the judicial system.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Good piece, Cedars; well done. I think you've really gotten the hang of this.

BTW, I sent you a PM.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I agree with besty, while both ordeals are horriable...you expect it from defense attorney. Sadly thats their job, get their client off... whatever the cost!

The elders, on the other hand are suppose to be our "protection from the storm" we go to them thinking they will help us, comfort us... I think that's where they have the advantage, the parents are in complete shock!

I'm very sorry your daughter didn't recieve justice TheOldHippie :( She was very brave to stand up to the monster.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I watched a series of You Tube interviews with Candace Conti and her lawyer, Rick Simons or Rick Simmons. It is interesting. Unlike most others, I expressly heard Simons state that the Conti case has unusual facts that bolster a claim against the WTBTS. The WT had actual notice of the pedophile in question. The WT lawyers made themselves vulnerable by counseling elders when they have no legal duty to do so. Actual notice makes the defendant more liable than in the usual case.

Most cases against elders will only be against elders. Although I never liked elders, I don't believe they should be liable when the Bethelite lawyers walk away free. This will be the typical situation. I believe there may be ethical obligations on the WT lawyers to inform elders that the counsel may be contrary to the elders' interest. I believe in attacking the executives at the top who instituted a policy, not the small people downstream.

People here are delusional about the Conti case and the impact of sexual abuse cases. Name the details that make the WT worse than any high control religion. Are the Mormons better than the Witnesses? Is the Opus Dei faction of the Roman Catholic Church better than the WT? I just moved back after a painful time in Mennonite country. They are truly neutral and do good works around the globe. Yet within the Mennnonite churches of the more conservative order, there is high control.

To pick on the WT alone or make snarky remarks about the Roman Catholic Church does not market a remedy you see for the WT. Lawsuits are poor vehicles for social justice. First, the costs are prohibitive. Second, one is hemmed in by other bodies of law that don't directly relate to the important facts, such as procedural law and local court rules. This glee concerning random lawsuits signals a lack of sophistication.

Letters to the editor, conversations with neighbors, perhaps public service ads promoting child education to fend off offenders are morth worty places of action. No one is for child sex abuse- except pedophiles. I recall a Roman Catholic official describing the generational changes in his church. In the 1960s, the Church believed some prayer and concern could cure pedophiles. The Bible states that we are suppposed to forgive. With the organization of victims and more social science studies, the current belief is that few pedophiles can ever be successfully treated.

Yes, other lawyers will follow Simons. What good are these cases unless a link to the WT can be proven to a judge or jury? Simons knows what he can accomplish and what the law will never allow. Personal injury lawyers are the low point of the bar. Certainly there are some decent ones. Making your income from other people's agony is not noble, IMO.S

The WT is vulnerable but not in a court of law. Let the Conti case succeed on appeal before you count the cash. The WT side has legal merits. Sometimes it strikes me that a certain crowd here is delighted that children were abused so the WT could be sued. The court of public opinion is more important. If fewer people join the Witnesses, the WTBTS might die of attrition. They have deep pockets. These lawsuits are a nuisance, not a death blow.

• cofty
    cofty
    Sometimes it strikes me that a certain crowd here is delighted that children were abused so the WT could be sued.

That is unwarranted and offensive.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Cofty,

You are entitled to your opinion but I am also entitled to my opinion. It is tiring to read distorted statements all the time. Other lawyers have also posted that this strategy will never end the WT. It is nothing that the WT lawyers do not know. Also, it is also apparent to all trial judges.

• cofty
    cofty

Many of us are delighted the WT is being sued and their crimes against children are being exposed. The rest of your statement was careless and unnecessary.

• latinthunder
    latinthunder
    Sometimes it strikes me that a certain crowd here is delighted that children were abused so the WT could be sued.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit