Too many changes mean more changes to come

by Verenda 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Verenda
    Verenda

Hello everyone,

I just joined this site after researching the recent 'new light" My daughter is an unbaptized witness, as well as her husband and my grandchildren. i was baptized in the 80s but I am inactive for years now because of changes and inconsintancies etc.

If the sheep and the goats teaching has been changed to happen after the Great tribultaion, or after Armageddon then this would mean that everyone would not be seperated or judged until after Armageddon has occured. So this must mean that no one is going to be destroyed at Armegeddon if everyone is to be judged after it occurs? So who will be destroyed at Armegeddon?This makes no sense at all. So basically the scripture telling us to go door to door and preach is for what outcome? Why are people still being told they have to become a Jehovahs witness to survive Armegeddon if the ywill not be seperated and judjed until after?

It seems that these new light teachings will mean that they will now have to come up with other new light to fix these new problems caused by the changes.

All of these changes have been very upsetting to me even though I am not active I still held to my prior beliefs and now to find out I was believing something wrong makes me feel betrayed. My daughter tells me the new light is just new knowledge and that there were just misunderstandings about the other teachings. Well these misunderstandings affected thousands of peoples lives. I sent her a copy of the passage in the old Zions Watchtower which talks about new knowledge must be added to the old not change it or contradict it. She said that was old thinking and we have learned new things since then so basically it did not apply. She told me that the faithful and dicreet slve, now the governing body, are being used by god to teach us. I told her if they are being used by God then there should not be any mistakes or misunderstandings and she just kept sayying they were imperfect humans so sometimes misunderstood things. She could not grasp the idea that if they are being directed by God there should be no misuderstandings.

She just could not see my point about all the changes and their false teachings. She insists that they were just misunderstandings and she said they are to follow the faithful and discreet slave because it is the same as following christ. This is what I could not believe that she would actually agree with. She said that Jehovah tells us to follow and obey the leaders so we have to obey the governing body because Jehovah said we should. It just blows my mind

Anyway, I am not sure how to help her if she can even be helped. And where do we go when we figure out all the lies? I still believe in Jehovah and the basic teaching in the bible, so where do I go now? thanks

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Hi Verenda! Welcome to the forum! You will find lots of help here!

People will tell you the same basic things:

Read a couple of books: Cult Mind Control, by Steven Hassan, Crisis of Conscience, by Raymond Franz, and In Search of Christian Freedom, by Raymond Franz.

Try not to talk to others about your doubts until you know HOW to do so... That is why Hassan's book is so important.

The reason why it's hard to convince other people about your doubts is that they have been indoctrinated to reject critical thinking...

Anyways... I should have a template, like ABibleStudent does, of things to say for newcomers.

The most important thing is, WELCOME!! You are among friends!

Sincerely,

ILTTATT

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Welcome!

If I remember correctly, the WTBTS teaches that the sheep and goats occurs when the Great Tribulation starts. [ Anyone correct me if I am wrong] So from now until the very moment the GT starts, every man, woman and child still has a chance to be baptized as a JW. That baptism guarantees them the " scriptural hope " of gaining the " prospect " of everlasting life. Remember they still have to spend 1,000 years being organized, only to have the God of love release Satan upon the world once again. As if being born sinful and living a life of hardship was not enough. I believe there is a current WT picture of a woman going D2D, that caption says something about people making a choice while there is till time.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Hello Verenda..

It is indeed an insanely difficult position to find oneself in when you open your eyes and see just what crazy things we have been taking on sheer trust and faith with the leaders of that organisation. None of what they say can be proved or verified.. we must believe it simply because they themselves tell us it is true. Throughout the 130 years of witness teachings they have taken more twists and turns then a drunk snake.

It is sheer lunacy of the highest order. The wickedest of grand deceptions. We have been deceived and lied to at the deepest level imaginable. And we all trusted in them. That is what hurts. It knocks one off balance so badly that it can take years if ever to get oneself straight again. One is left not knowing what to believe any more.. not knowing what is true and what is not true.. one no longer is sure of what God thinks any more.. one's entire faith is shaken to the very foundations.. if not broken entirely. One is left feeling great anger at the betrayal. Where does one go after is avery good question. I have not worked that out for myself either yet. Right now I am nowhere.. in a kind of limbo.. not sure which way to turn or if indeed I should turn anywhere at all. I too still believe in God and Jesus.. and the Bible, but very little else. I think i have stopped looking for something.. and am waiting for something to find me. Despite this uncomfortable uncertain feeling of no longer knowing where I belong I am glad that I am free of the prison that was my time in 'the truth'.. and being set free like a bird from a cage that held it captive there is a certain fear on experiencing real freedom of thought, choice and action for maybe the very first time. It's exciting.. challenging.. full of uncertainty and mystery.. but I like it. It feels right like nothing in 'the truth' ever did. For the first time in a long time I feel like me.. like I am really and truly beginning to find myself and know who I am. My great adventure starts now..

Welcome to life.. :)

• Perry
    Perry

Hi Verenda,

I still believe in Jehovah and the basic teaching in the bible, so where do I go now? thanks

Perhaps the question should not be where, but whom. That's what Jehovah said: " And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him."

As a former regular pioneer and 4th generation JW I used to hear what the watchtower, circuit overseer, my conscience, elders etc; had to say. Now I only hear Jesus.

It sure made things alot simpler for me.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Dis-Member, why don't you check out your local Unitarian Universalist Church? I think I may do that myself... see if this would help:
    http://www.westvalleyuu.org/about-us/about-uu/

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Thank you Braincleaned for the thought and link.

I'm not sure jumping into another structured organisation is the right move for me right now. I suspect what I need to do is just clear my head and free myself of the debris left by the 'org' and do some simple experiments with God. Just God,. and Jesus, nothing else.. Not too interested in human opinions and 'versions' of what God is or is not. I want to allow God to have a chance to just speak for Himself for a change. I need to have my own real experience of Him I think. Yes, that's exactly what I need.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Doctrine doesn't matter!

Again, doctrine doesn't matter! They are being promised everlasting life with their own private petting zoo and free fruit platters. Can you compete with that?

You have to find another way.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Welcome!

• cofty
    cofty

Welcome Verenda.

It must be very disconcerting for JWs to see these ridiculous changes.

Keep applying the same critical thinking skills to your more fundamental beliefs as well. Bart Erhman is an author you may find interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit