Has The Society, or Any Bro or Sis, Ever Screwed You Out Of Your Money?

by LoisLane looking for Superman 41 Replies latest jw friends

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Interesting how wide spread this is! Flipper is right. The dishonesty starts at the top of the WTBT$ and trickels/pours downward. The society was HAPPY to TAKE my familys fortune when my parents and grandparents gave it to them but pay a teeny tiny amount back??? Not so much. The society is well aware that my father paid for least 6 KHs in California that I know of. (there could be more) this was before the quick build arrangement. If he knew how they treated my mother he would blow a gasket. At least it helped me wake up.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Wasn't it being swindled out of money that first set good old Danny Haszard off?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I have to be careful as this is still fresh out of the courts but a jw I knew started a coffee shop (and deliveries) which became very successful. She moved in with an elder and his wife and she eventually offered them a partnership (yes she is very generous). Later after moving in to her own apartment her accountant contacted telling her that the business couldn't pay its bills and yes on enquiry the elder and his wife had been charging the business for their expensive lifestyle, including cars etc! When confronted they hit the roof, so she just worked harder and the business died and she lost all including her apartment. Finally she broke, left the jws, got legal advice and took them to court. Suffice to say, the lawyers won but no resolution. It was made clear in the court that they had embezelled the business but he is still an elder. Allegedly this couple are disliked in the cong and most are aware of their behaviour (this isn't the first time shady business deals have gone down). She's broken...

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I loaned a friend $500. I knew at the time I would never get it back and I didn't. At the time her friendship meant a lot to me, so I was more sad that obviously my friendship didn't mean that much to her, as we had been friends for over twenty years. I miss her, but even if I had not left the religion the friendship would have ended. I suspect I was not the first person she "borrowed" money from. She was one of those people who always had a hardship or some kind of drama going on.

• ozbrad
    ozbrad

40,000 to a sister who was associated with a law firm. She knew my parents got an inheritance when my grandmother died so asked if she could borrow it for a very short time with a large interest payment in return. Lost it all including her parents money who refinanced their home in a business that went belly up. I think she lost 200,000 all up that was 30 years ago. She repaid them 40 dollars a fortnight till she eventually payed it all back but balked paying any interest.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Money reveals a person's true character irrespective of religion...

• clarity
    clarity

Yup .... an elder didn't pay for work done on a house construction.

>

He had steak & booze everyday.........

>

we had hamburger & koolaid!

ps ...he never even tried to pay the debt!

clarity

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

LoisLane, this thread is helpful to me. I have NEVER heard from anyone anything like this - I had no idea this happened to other JW besides me!

Elder's wife, pioneer, dedicated, zealous, blah blah blah, loved to talk about vitamin supplements and her ailments. I was signed up with a company to order at a discount. I ordered her a couple bottles of supplements and she was supposed to pay me back - never did. She owes me around $60, i'll never see it.

A sister who came from a big JW family, father an elder, she pioneered for many years, all of that. One time the whole bunch of us were so upset because a sister died who had been in a car wreck. The pioneer sister was so shook up, she couldn't go to the store - could i go for her? Sure, I want to be helpful, don't I? I knocked on her door with the requested groceries. "It came to a little over $50." "Do you have change for $100?" "No, just pay me later," I said like an IDIOT. Why didn't I take the $100 and offer to give her change later? That was over 10 years ago - this super spiritual pioneer sister never ever paid me the money she owed me. But she goes to all the meetings, oh yes!

The last few years I was in, a bunch of these parasites, i mean pioneers, all moved out to Mexico, OH it was gonna be so great, no more knocking on doors where no one is home, people are conducting dozens of studies, people are falling all over themselves to study the Bible out there, it's so GREAT!!! You are STUPID and you don't love Jehovah if you don't just up and abandon all your commitments and leave your whole life and move out where these spiritual starving helpless wonderful English-speaking people are just clawing and craving to get a true servant of God to study the Bible with them. Okay, so one of these charmers left a book and a pair of shoes at my house and I packaged them up and sent them out there so they would have the things. Did they say thank you or kiss my ass? No, never even acknowledged the package. I saw them months later at my local KH, where they were celebrities and saints, near about. I said, Did you get the book and the shoes I sent? Oh sure! I got them.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

I feel bad for all of us, the trusting and true loving hearts, raked over the coals, used and abused, disrespected and disregarded. And if we commit the unforgiveable sin of expecting people to keep their word and repay, WE'RE the bad ones with the bad attitude who need to be given the big cold shoulder.

The big smart scripture-quotin' and bible totin' Christian servants of God are so much better than the hard-working, financially responsible hoi polloi. What was the matter with ME, who thought when they said in the meeting that God's servants are so conscientious and honest, they really meant it. I was the most gullible foolish dummy in the place. Everybody else KNEW that crap was just for the KH! Not to ACTUALLY live that way, sheesh!

• smiddy
    smiddy

Maybe I`m smarter than I thought , LOL ,"Never do business with a freind or colleague or lend large amounts of money " So I have never experienced it personally , however I know of a few instances where brothers have diddled others.One "elder"even stated to me "business and the truth are two seperate things , not to be confused together."Another elder misappropiated congregation finances when he was a real estate salesman.Quite a few times in the congregation I was in , and neighbouring congregations, self employed brothers would lodge complaints about another brother and vice versa.Builders , painters and plasterers ,were aplenty.

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit