What is the biblical justification for says that a creative days is 7000 years ?

by trackregister99 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It is based on the Eisegesis interpretative approach that the Watchtower is so fond of. Since 6000 years happens to fall with the timeframe of Watchtower history, then it is a convenient interpretation to say the end must be now, plus 1000 years equal 7000 years. Then make it seem legitimate by saying seven is Jehovah's favourite number. If we were 4000 years since the creation of Adam, then you could guarantee the Watchtower would not have said a creative day is 7000 years.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

There can be no proof because there is proof that the Earth is 4.54Byo and the Universe 13.77Byo (yes, we have it down to 4 digits (meaning the error in our estimate is less than 10 Million years). Any proof counter to that would have to prove a lot of errors in general relativity, special relativity, optics, biology, physics, chemistry, astronomy, statistics, mathematics and a number of various other branches of science.

Religion just establishes it's own science by fiat, without any requirements for proof and the absolute requirement to turn off even simple thinking processes.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Well you learn something every day.That`s why I love this site. Of course I have been out for 20 years , so why am I surprised they they have changed yet another beleif.

smiddy

• trackregister99
    trackregister99

I look in Scenario of the photo-drama of creation (1914) page 3, where Russell says: "We follow the theory that each of the Seven Days of the Creative Week was a period of seven thousand years. This, seven times seven thousand, equals forty-nine thousand (7 x 7;000=49;000) years; ushering in a grand Jubilee Epoch."

Then, a a theory was taught as doctrine.

What is the source of that theory?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The zend-avesta?

• bigmac
    bigmac

Well you learn something every day.That`s why I love this site. Of course I have been out for 20 years , so why am I surprised they they have changed yet another beleif.

smiddy

yep--i only found out that the 7000 year lie had been dropped when i got involved with this site.

came as quite a shock to find i was right all along.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Blondie: From the creation of Adam (beginning of human history) to 1975 was determined to be 6,000 years and then the 1,000 years of the millenial reign of Christ.

But how long was Adam in the Garden before the fall? Technically, Adam and Eve could have been there for years. The beginning of human history should start at the time they were kicked out. Also, God ended His work on the seventh day, not the sixth. Carrying that forward, we have a sixth seal earthquake, then a half hour of silence, and that should throw the history into its seven-thousandth year period. Whether the half hour of silence translates to 21 years (1 day=1,000 years) or is a literal half hour, only the Governing Body knows. (It's one of those "light" things.)

JWFacts: Since 6000 years happens to fall with the timeframe of Watchtower history....

Wow. Was Adam the first editor?

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

CS: it doesn't matter, one of that matters because any answer that comes that less than 4.54 billion years for the earth and 13.77 (thought it was 13.72?) billion years for the universe is wrong. And to tackle that would be, as mentioned above, to prove general relativity, special relativity, optics, biology, physics, chemistry, astronomy, statistics, mathematics and a number of various other branches of science wrong.

Even the Mormons know not to do that.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Yes, Captain Obvious, you are correct. Where the Mormons differ is that we're willing to wait for the answers. We don't try to stipulate how old Earth is, when Adam was placed in the Garden, how long he was there, whether dinosaurs lived and when. In a revelation to Joseph Smith, he was told: “...in that day when the Lord shall come, he shall reveal all things—things which have passed, and hidden things which no man knew, things of the earth, by which it was made, and the purpose and the end thereof; things most precious, things that are above, and things that are beneath, things that are in the earth, and upon the earth, and in heaven.” (D&C 101:32-34)

When the scriptures say that God created the earth in seven days and rested (which means he desisted). The word for "day" in scripture means exactly what it means in English. It can mean a 24-hour period, or it can mean an "era" of undetermined time. We believe that when man began, he was an exalted person for a mortal. He did not live in caves or go through a developmental period, but began with an advanced language and had advanced knowledge of God and right and wrong. But he very quickly degenerated into wickedness and became degenerate. How and in what stages this happened will be revealed, but for now we don't have the pieces of the puzzle that are required to have a knowledge of all things.

So many of us are willing to wait. The JWs have always screwed up because they tried to figure out the picture before they had nearly enough pieces.

• processor
    processor

Russell thought that Adam was created 4127 BCE, so 7000 years would end in 2874 CE. Since he should rule for 1000 years, this reign must have started in 1874.

Since nothing happened in 1874, he concluded that there would be period of 40 years (like 30 to 70 CE or like the 40 years Moses spent in the wilderness), and Armageddon would come 40 years after 1874 (= 1914).

Since nothing happened in 1914, they eventually "noticed" that Adam was not created in 4127 but in 4026, pointing to 1975 instead of 1914. So they changed 1914 from "beginning of 1000 year reign" to "beginning of invisible rein over his congregation".

SInce nothing happened in 1975, they eventually "noticed" that the 6th day did not end with Adam's creation but with Eve's creation. So they changed it from "1975" to "soon", which is valid until now.

Since there is overwhelming evidence that the earth is more than 49,000 years old, they silently dropped the idea that one creative day would have been 7,000 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit