1975 - The Killer WT quote

by tim hooper 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

jvchap.28pp.632-633TestingandSiftingFromWithin

"Later on, during the years from 1935 through 1944, a review of the overall framework of Bible chronology revealed that a poor translation of Acts 13:19, 20 in the KingJamesVersion, along with certain other factors, had thrown off the chronology by over a century. This later led to the idea—sometimes stated as a possibility, sometimes more firmly—that since the seventh millennium of human history would begin in 1975, events associated with the beginning of Christ’s Millennial Reign might start to take place then."

Being "God's sole channel of communication on earth", you would think God would've let the WT know they were using "a poor translation" of Acts 13 BEFORE they made really stupid predictions.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Freddy Franz just reworked the old bullshit that Russell used decades earlier.

There was a distance of some 50 years from when Russell used this ploy, he most likely assumed that the JWS of

his era wouldn't know anything about this which retrospectively he was right.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Never trust any eschatalogical statement by a high-control religious organisation that starts with the words "One thing is absolutely certain,..."

Judge Rutherford peppered just about every presumptous prediction he ever made with such phrases, and even as arrogant a man as he admitted that he made an ass of himself.

Freddy Franz was the same presumptous prophet but only slightly less bombastic about it.

These men behind the curtain at Oz are all of the same ilk.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Lurkers, if your religious leaders keep making presumptous predictions and keep insisting that the end is near, you are disobeying the Bible by continuing to follow them:

Deuteronomy 18: 20 But the prophet who speaks a word presumptuously in My name which I have not commanded him to speak, or which he speaks in the name of other gods, [ m ]that prophet shall die.’ 21 [ n ]You may say in your heart, ‘How will we know the word which the Lord has not spoken?’ 22 When a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.

Luke 21: 7 They questioned Him, saying, “Teacher, when therefore will these things happen? And what will be the [ f ]sign when these things are about to take place?” 8 And He said, “See to it that you are not misled; for many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am He,’ and, ‘The time is near.’ Do not go after them.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

ADCMS, I appreciate the WT quotes because they are indisputable. They not only said these things they PRINTED them. The WTBT$ can remove or alter statements like this on their CD rom or websites but they CANNOT remove them from the hardcopy bound volumes collecting dust in many JW households. We dug some of ours out of mothballs and I'm now glad I didn't toss them. The WTBTS can no longer pee on my leg and tell me it's raining. I have what they said in WRITING and so do many others.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

in my Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary Old and New Testament Words (Thomas Nelson Publishers) on page 222 under the word faith,

The object of Abraham's "faith was not God's promise (that was the occasion of its exercise); his faith rested on God Himself, Rom. 4;17, 20-21."

so maybe i was wrong when in post 884 i said

I think i had faith in God's eternal purpose triumphing for man's good...

• zound
    zound

I'm not sure I get what they're saying.. watchtower speak.

Are they saying it's not the time to be speculating when the end will come (then they just go ahead and speculate anyway)?

Or are they more brazenly saying it's not the time to be listening to Jesus words? The sentence immediatly afterwards seems to indicate this.

This is not the time to be toying with listening to the words of Jesus that “concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father.” (Matt. 24:36) To the contrary, it is a time when...

• Zoos
    Zoos

Great quotes, Trebor.

This one is quite ironic:

Our Kingdom Ministry on page 3 in the May 1974 edition states:

" Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world's end ."

... because the only thing I remember as a child in the aftermath of the 1975 debacle was being told how many Witnesses went out and bought expensive cars, houses and boats in anticipation of never having to pay them off.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

zound:

Are they saying it's not the time to be speculating when the end will come (then they just go ahead and speculate anyway)?

Yes, it is classic WT double-speak. What WT means is, it is wrong for other religions to speculate about end-time dates; but, when WT feels like picking up that torch again then it's okay to do it.

It is wrong to be speculating about dates only AFTER the current prediction has failed; then mock humility kicks in. Once enough time has gone by where most JWs have forgotten about the false prophecy (or enough JWs who experienced it have died off), then WT starts speculating again.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

in my Insight on the Scriptures book (Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.) it says

'Abraham had a firm basis for faith in a resurrection, for he and Sarah had experienced the miraculous restoration of their reproductive powers, ...'

I thought i had a firm basis for faith in 1975 as the end of 6000 years of a 7000 year creative day. In the book Gods Eternal Purpose Now Triumphing for Man's Good (1974Watchtower Bible and Tract Society) on page187 in the chapter Making the Seventh Creative Day Sacred it says

"According to God's promise to Abraham, all families of the ground and all nations should bless themselves, procure an everlasting blessing, by means of the spiritual "seed" of Abraham. (Genesis 12:3; 22:18) The thousand years of Christ reign will allow time for such work of blessing."

This thousand year reign of Christ would come as the book says on page 186

"Revelation 20:1-3 pictures this, not as a part of the war at Har-Magedon, but as a follow-up of that war."

In the same book on page 51, it says as the subheading.

"Evening" of Seventh creative "Day" begins, 4026 B.C.E. "

and on page 131 it say under the subheading

'"Morning" of Seventh Creative "Day" Begins, 526 B.C.E.'

'The first half or "evening" period of God's seventh creative "day" was now closing, 3,500 years from creation of Adam and Eve.'

Maybe i've misunderstood it but it seems to me to suggest that from the autumn of 1975 the last one thousand year reign of Christ must begin if it's a seven thousand year long day.

And if I have faith in God and his promises which I understood the mouthpiece of God was telling me then i would never graduate from High School anyway and faith without works is dead so I dropped out of High School to pioneer.

When i met with some elders before i stopped attending the hall and i brought up the subject of my education and working life they told me it had nothing to do with the society so maybe i misunderstood it. Probably due to my lack of education.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit