1975 - The Killer WT quote

by tim hooper 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wasblind
    wasblind

Heartofaboy

The Governing Body Still lay blame on the sheep when it comes to falsehoods

that they claim they got from GOD

" Jesus said that he would have on earth a " faithful and discreet slave " ( his anointed followers viewed as a group ), through which agency he would provide spiritual food to those making up the household of faith. Jehovah's Witnesses recognize that arrangement. As was true of the first century christians, they look to the governing body of that "slave " class to resolve difficult questions--- not on the basis of human wisdom, but by drawing on thier knowledge of God's word and his dealings with his servants, and the help of God's spirit, for which they earnestly pray."____Reasoning book page 205

Here's an example of layin' blame on the sheep. without mention of who fed the sheep those falsehoods

Have not Jehovah's Witnesses made errors in their teachings ?

" It is true that the Wtinesses have made mistakes in thier understanding of what would occur at the end of certain time periods, "_______Reasoning book page 136

Yea right !!! Blame 1975 and everything else on the sheep becuase they didn't " Understand " what was in print

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I like to think I have a very good memory of the time between 1968 and 1975. The summer of 68 had an Awake Title: Is it Later Than You Think? which basically said if you are in school now, forget college, you will NEVER have time to use your education before this system ends on or BEFORE 1975. I was going into my Senior year in HS and that article changed my life. I took only the easiest required courses, skipped all the electives, and got out at noon, all with my JW parents permission. I got engaged and married a few months later. I didn't get a job because (hate to admit it) I was plain lazy. Why think when the WTBT$ did it for me? Why learn a skill or trade when I had a husband to support me? Besides the world was going to end in a couple of years. By 1973 I was 21 and took the religion MUCH more seriously. At that time we were studying the "Ezekiel book" (The nations Shall Know I am Jehovah How?") The message we were bludgened with was : the vast majority of men, women, and children are about to be destroyed by "Jehovah of Armies". If someone dies because I personally didn't warn them then I am bloodguilty and will ALSO be destroyed. (makes you feel warm and fuzzy doesn't it?) Anyone who was paying the slightest attention to the meetings, literature, and assemblies became caught up with the excitement. I decided pioneering was like life insurance. I wasn't sure the end was coming in a few months but didn't want to risk being unprotected either!

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello 3rgen

The boy's in Brooklyn claim you

" Misunderstood what would happen at the end of certain time periods "

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I can honestly say my husband did not believe the end was near. Not only did he outright say so, he proved it by building houses for us. One in 73 another in 75. That was a real no no in those years, even tho the society was buying and building to beat the band. The Rand F were encouraged to SELL their houses and go pioneering where the need was great. When 1975 came and went all the Elders who looked down on 1st hubby ended up building houses. LOL They even ended up appointing him an Elder!

• Trevor Scott
  • wasblind
    wasblind

Many of the Witnesses in the cong I attended owned thier own homes

but claimed in the New system they would upgrade to any house they seen out in field service

We broke the Tenth Commandment the whole time we went in the well to do sections

I rode in many covetous car groups while out in field service

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Back atcha Wasblind, Yup, I completely "ran ahead of the organization". lol Of course , I wasn't the only one! I personally knew people who put off dental work, making house repairs, even needed surgury. I knew others who racked up HUGE credit card debt figuring they would never have time to pay it off. There was a family in our cong. who had just finished building a $million custom home when they learned the "Truth". Within months (1974) they sold (I should say gave away) their home that had taken years to build, and went pioneering.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I took all the easiest courses, half my day was art and finished early most days as i had free periods and went straight out in the field service with my brother i dropped out of high school to pioneer. 1974.

• trebor
    trebor

Absolutely, the Watchtower Society more than alluded to 1975...

Awake! From October 18, 1966 on page 19 states:

"In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existence and also the first 6,000 years of God's rest day come to an end? The year 1975."

Our Kingdom Ministry from March 1968 on page 4 states:

"Just think, brothers, there are only about ninety months left before 6,000 years of man’s existence on earth is completed. Do you remember what we learned at the assemblies last summer? The majority of people living today will probably be alive when Armageddon breaks out..."

The Watchtower from August 15, 1968 states in the bound volume on page 499:

"Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? PossiblyIt may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years."

Our Kingdom Ministry from June 1969 on page 3 states the following:

"…in view of the short time left, a decision to pursue a career in this system of things is not only unwise but extremely dangerous....Many young brothers and sisters were offered scholarship or employment that promised fine pay. However, they turned them down and put spiritual interests first."

The Watchtower, October 15, 1969 when researched in the bound volume found on page 623:

"More recently earnest researchers of the Holy Bible have made a recheck of its chronology. According to their calculations the six millenniums of mankind’s life on earth would end in the mid seventies. Thus the seventh millennium from man’s creation by Jehovah God would begin within less than ten years...Would not, then, the end of six millenniums of mankind’s enslavement under Satan the Devil be the fitting time for Jehovah God to usher in a Sabbath millennium for his human creatures? Yes, Indeed!"

Our Kingdom Ministry on page 3 in the May 1974 edition states:

"Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world's end."

http://savedfromthewatchtower.blogspot.com/2008/11/false-prophets-part-i-1975.html

• Terry
    Terry

Fred Franz was the only writer at Bethel whose work was to be published "as is," according to Ray Franz. (Crisis of Conscience)

Ray goes on to give one outstanding exception.

Freddy, after stirring things up by pointing to 1975, wrote an article changing it to 1974.

Nathan Knorr was troubled and asked 3 people to review the material BEFORE approving it. (Behind Freddy's back, as it were.)

All 3, (Ray included), recommended NOT publishing Freddy's shortened prediction.

Consquently, on that one occasion, Freddy got over-ruled.

This leads me to believe the 1966 release of Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God, by Fred Franz, had NOT BEEN INTERNALLY REVIEWED

or APPROVED prior to publication. To wit: Nobody had to. Until then.

When the prediction about 1975 came out, it was a fait accompli.

Now, if I'm wrong--why bother worrying about Freddy's follow up?Fred was the source of the 1975 idea and the chronology that "backed it".

If Fred is right about one thing--why would he be less correct about the other?

Anybody have any ideas?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit