1975 - The Killer WT quote

by tim hooper 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bennyk
    bennyk

***w67 7/15p.427 FestivalsofPraisetoJehovah***

5 It is good to know that this weekly sabbath of the Jews is only “a shadow of the good things to come.” The Bible indicates that Jehovah created the heavens and the earth in six days, each 7,000 years in length. On the seventh day Jehovah rested from his creative work and entered into his sabbath. Mankind, however did not keep peaceful rest or sabbath with Jehovah, but through disobedience came into bondage to sin, imperfection and death. Almost six thousand years of the seventh day have passed and there is only a little more than a thousand years left. Jesus, speaking of the weekly sabbath day, said: “The sabbath came into existence for the sake of man, and not man for the sake of the sabbath.” So these last thousand years are set aside by Jehovah for a special purpose foreshadowed by the weekly sabbath of the Jews, namely, for the reign of Christ Jesus, his Son, for Jesus went on to say: “Hence the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath.” (Mark 2:27, 28) It is a thousand-year sabbath within Jehovah’s great 7,000-year sabbath of rest. Like the weekly sabbath, the greater thousand-year sabbath will be devoted to the worship of Jehovah, and to the education of all the living, including those resurrected from the memorial tombs, in the righteous requirements of Jehovah.-Heb. 10:1; Gen. 2:1-3; John 5:28, 29.

***w67 7/15 pp.446-447TheRemovalofMankind’sChiefDisturber***

According to the Bible timetable, man’s history on earth has been nearly 6,000 years. Adam was created in 4026 B.C.E., which means that six thousand years of human history end about the fall of 1975 C.E. We are in the great 7,000-year rest day of God, starting at the time he rested after the creation of Adam and Eve. There are, therefore, a thousand years left to run. Without Satan and his demons to disturb mankind it will indeed be a restful time. It will be like a sabbath. In a way it will be a sabbath within a sabbath. The last thousand years of God’s great seven-thousand-year rest is a special sabbath over which the Son of man will be Lord.-Matt. 12:8.

***w69 5/15 p.312HaveYouBeenStudyingforSixMonths?***

In view of the short time left in which to do their work, Jehovah’s witnesses do not continue to study the Bible with any who fail to respond to its urgent message within six months. The nearness of this system’s end compels them to use their time in the most effective way possible.

***w69 10/15 p.623par.42TheApproachingPeaceofaThousandYears***

42 In order for the Lord Jesus Christ to be “Lord even of the sabbath day,” his thousand-year reign would have to be the seventh in a series of thousand-year periods or millenniums. (Matt. 12:8, AV) Thus it would be a sabbatic reign. Since early in the existence of mankind Satan the Devil has been on the loose, making the human family to toil in hard bondage, causing the earth to be filled with violence before the global flood of Noah’s day and inducing the same old earth to be filled with even greater violence today. Soon now six millenniums of his wicked exploiting of mankind as his slaves will end, within the lifetime of the generation that has witnessed world events since the close of the Gentile Times in 1914 till now, according to the prophetic words of Jesus in Matthew 24:34. Would not, then, the end of six millenniums of mankind’s laborious enslavement under Satan the Devil be the fitting time for Jehovah God to usher in a Sabbath millennium for all his human creatures? Yes, indeed! And his King Jesus Christ will be Lord of that Sabbath.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

I was 10 in 1975. My parents were supposed to be looking out for my well being and my future. And (in the words of Cosmo Kramer) "You blew it, baby!!! You REALLLLLLYYY Blew IT!" Why the hell they didn't smell the BullSH*T for what it was, I just don't know! Nearly 40 years later, neither of them go to meetings, and that's all well and good for them, but dammit, opportunities for my life were stolen! Also for my brother and sister! The only thing I can say is that I am not letting history repeat with my kids. I have allowed them the right to choose for themselves, and they do me proud by living good lives, without the dead weight of BS religion pressing on their backs. My mother-in-law may treat us like we are dead, but, in reality, she's the Walking Dead, she just doesn't realize it. I hate, hate, HATE this Effing organization, and may they all go straight to the Hell I don't believe in.

• steve2
    steve2

I love the phrase, "This is not the time to be toying with...." Oh, pray tell us wise and wonderful Watchtower, When will it be the time to toy with it...?

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

Captain Schmideo, I was 12 in 1975 and your words reflect so much of my experience and feelings. Making sure not to repeat the cult cycle is what I did with my kids as well.

It feels great to see them living lives that make you proud, "without the dead weight of the BS religion," doesn't it?

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I have heard a number (both JWs and ex-JWs) who were around in those times now claim that they "never believed anything about 1975."

Significantly, though, during those years leading up to '75 (and I started associating with the JWs in 1969) I heard not one JW express any such sentiment. To have done so would have got you branded as "immature".

So those of you that now reckon you didn't buy it after all, I have trouble believing your claim!

Bill.

• steve2
    steve2

Psychologists have long said that human memories are seldom blueprints of what people have experienced but are virtually reconstructions depending on current perspectives and mood states. That does not absolve the Watchtower authors for their clever reconstructions but at least in part explains why Witnesses caught up in this fiasco can state thatthey never exhibited the behaviours that suggested they were swept up in it all. It also underscores how vested interests shape memories. Clearly, if you continue to believe the organization is the Truth, and you honestly do not know where else you would go if you left AND you've given the best years of your life to the organization, man - you have so much to lose by facing up to the unfounded doctrinal speculations of 1975. If you must remember, be selective...be very selective, and better still, vilify those who have different memories of what actually happened.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I was certainly around ,long before, and the lead up to the expectations of 1975 .that are amply demonstrated by people who lived through that era , but also by the WTB&T societys literature that can be veiwed on line during that time.verifying they beleived Armageddon was a BIG possibilty/probability in 1975.

smiddy

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

My JW momma denied all knowledge of having been caught up in the 1975 hoo-hah, despite having sold up to move to where the "need is great" in 1972.

I once heard her say to an ex-witness: "Oh. Are you another seventy-fiver too?"

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I find it more annoying when people dispute what was said and believed than the actual belief.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

I've heard people pejoritively referred to as '1975ers' too Tim.......usually by JW's that were nowhere on the Watchtower scene in the 60's & 70's.

The GB very often quotes “By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”— JOHN 13:35 .

The very fact that the GB's first reaction was to blame the R&F JW's for the 1975 debacle is proof the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses were not & are not his spiritual brothers.

Their first reaction was to shift blame, to save face, to protect their self proclaimed position as Christ's spiritual brothers his appointed 'faithful & discreet slave' providing spiritual food at the proper time'

The first requisite of being Christ's brothers was to show love to the ones the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses had misled, in this they FAILED.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit