What is happening in Mexico?

by ILoveTTATT 49 Replies latest jw friends

• dog is god
    dog is god

LongHairedGal....you made me laugh out loud when you said, "back calls". Lots of memories with that. That's what they were called by my mom and by everyone until nu lite "return visits".

I know a guy who was an elder in our cong for years. He was a pretty big partier, owned a race car etc. His wife, sweet and beautiful began to get sensitive regarding the amount of drinking going on. He divorced her (just about killed her) and he was disfellowshipped. He partied on with "worldly girls" that I now work with. Then he was reinstated and married a sister who single mindedly pursued him...a real catch for a JW. He was not just a janitor but the master of all janitors, house cleaning sisters, and window washers. Set up his business well. He retired to a JW enclave in Puerto Vallerta with a pool and housekeeper. He set up the business in his wife's name, so he could collect full social security without the income problem. I speak spanish and for the life of me I cannot imagine him going door to door in a real Mexican neighborhood. His linen white pants might get dirty. His sister is my friend and gives me updates. (she was never "in") His wife pretty much stays in the states. They barely have a friendship. I also have discussed how much of a target living in an american community can make you. Kidnapping is big business there. I just have seen that for him being a jw was always a matter of convenience for which ever agenda he had. Getting cheap workers, find a wife etc. I think Mexicans see the hypocracy.

• hoser
    hoser

QB

"I never liked it when the parents of a Rich country would drag their kids down to a third world country, just so they can obtain some honor or name for themselves as a "Need Great. Server" "

you hit the nail on the head with that comment

We have a couple like this in our circuit, they are probably in their late 20's early 30's. Elder and pioneers. Their parents keep a car just for them when they come back home to tour around the western half of the country going to several district and circuit assemblies to make an appearance and look for green handshakes.

hoser

• sir82
    sir82
    They are even doing away with their records and taking a brand new census showing where people who's first language is English reside.

Hmm....people living in Mexico whose 1st language is English.....

That would pretty much be US middle class retirees trying to stretch their retirement dollars by moving to a country with a lower standard of living, so they can afford "luxuries" like a maid and a gated community.

So, 170 English-language congregations are there in Mexico to preach to a few thousand US retirees in affluent ex-pat communities. US ex-pat retirees who have spent 40+ years turning away JWs who came to their doors when they were living in the US.

Why no, no, that doesn't sound like a waste of time & effort at all!

• jgnat
    jgnat

It was just a Honeymoon stage for the Spanish Mexicans who had hopes ... to improve their economical status. A carrot was dangled in front of them, and now it is crushed. - Quarterback

I noticed a recent immigrant at a hall in town, nattily dressed, wife and children all in a row. I'd put money down he was an elder back in Africa. How much you want to bet the "brothers" will be in no hurry to establish him here?

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I was involved in an English speaking congregation in a 3rd world country. To be honest I thought the whole thing was a bit of a waste of time. Most in the cong were 18 -30 year olds (who's parents were witnesses) who were their to either improve their English or because it was seen as been cool and with the hopes of been able to find a foreign husband/wife. Out witnessing most of the day was just spent driving aimlessly around trying to locate people who had an English surname in the telephone book. Usually when we arrived they were not home. Total joke really.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Sir 82, yup

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

We'll I can officially confirm about the closure of English congs in Mexico is correct. I have just spoken to a Gringo witness that lives there and he confirmed it. The reasons he gave for the closures was.

To improve English

to get a better job

females going there to find a foreign husband.

The Gringo witness said that where he lives they turned 3 English speaking congregations into 1.

So yes it is correct.

• smiddy
    smiddy

The topic of being materialistic is a fascinating one. I've yet to meet a Witness of any description anywhere who thinks the "timely"admonition applies to him or her. It alwaysapplies to someone else in the congregation (nudge, nudge).

I second that steve 2

Talk about Kingdom Halls being like playschool for adults.....

And that one as well LOL

smiddy

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Here is the thing-Christians have for centuries been doing mission work that is based on the premise that they are going to help feed/clothe/help the natives, but what they were really doing is converting them to a life and mindset that suited them.

The WT actually no longer makes a pretense of helping folks learn language (mentioned earlier) and they are not growing in Mexico(mentioned earlier). I wonder about that last info but. . . anyway, the WT is no longer pretending to be an educational group (the way they got to have a legitimate position in the country to begin with because of govt. restrictions).

You know there are actually churches that send real mission workers to Mexico to actually (gasp!) help the communities? Job creation, work skills, building homes, libraries,churches? They bring the money, the labor, the food. They bring clothes, supplies and equipment. And they do it mostly self funded, but they aren't there to drink margaritas, they actually DO things. I only know this cause my cousins spend a month a year there and send home the pictures of the buildings. My late cousin used to do child care while her DIL taught the older ones and there was often different kinds of training or education offered to the moms .. . others set up new buildings, improved the neighborhood power supply (usually pretty rudimentary in any case).

The WT is pretty useless as a missionary organization and that they are consolodating in the expat areas is unsurprising. The most valuable real estate in Mexico is probably in expat neighborhoods.

• SaritaJ
    SaritaJ

The worst need greaters are those who come from their affluent countries to hang out with fellow westerners in cliques in their new countries.The missionaries are too happy to welcome these into their 'clubs' where they talk about the locals disparagingly.

Many of these need greaters go to Africa (for example) so they can boast of their 20 bible studies when they write home.We have some at the KH I go to now and then. What they don't realize is that African hospitality makes it difficult for the locals to reject these guests.Others have their own agenda for welcoming these NG and missionaries.What these westerners don't ask themselves is :if these people are sincerely interested in learning about God, why don't they listen to and study with the local witnessess???

But the tides are changing, many Africans are learning to say NO + the missionaries are not needed in Africa,the locals are already believers.Try Europe or any other atheist regions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit