Am I in a "cool hall " or what?

by ?me? 29 Replies latest jw friends

• ?me?
    ?me?

Anybody else in the situation I am? Me and the wife go to a hall that is pretty "hands off". I have not really been out in service for probably 1.5 years and my wife has went out maybe 3 times in the last year. We are also probably 66% in meeting attendance at best. But we still have great friends at the hall, of course we are out of the loop with most of the elders and wife's and young pioneers, but we really don't care to be that close to them. we drink a little too much some times, gamble if we want, go to the movies we want, skip meetings to go to concerts or dinner , or sleep. we might go to half of the convention, and never stay for lunch. Parts of our families are elders and "important people " in nearby congs, but we don't care. we have frank discussions on what we like and what we don't like about what we hear at the meeting or the differnet classes that exists in the hall. the other day my wife said about he WT " WHY DON'T THEY JUST SAY "WE DON'T KNOW" INSTEAD OF TRYING TO CORRECT STUFF THAT WE CAN'T FIGURE OUT"?

I do enjoy a level of worship and relationship with god, but on my terms, and so does my wife. I do not think our situation will change, and i like it that way.

the elders are not interested at all in us or most of the hall as a matter of fact. we like it nice and quiet.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Yep, there is a group just like you in most halls. Generally referred to by the body of elders as spiritually immature, stagnate or apathetic. Great way to avoid the burden of being a servant or elder really. Stay under the radar and don't get caught doing the stuff you know you'd get DFd for. Once you do things start unravelling quickly.

• Laika
    Laika

Personally I think 6% meeting attendance would be too much for me, but if you're happy I guess that's none of my business.

I don't think you'll find many here share your experience of Kingdom Hall... Are you on the school?

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

A social JW, something that has been increasing over the past decades.

This happens because there is no end date and this is an end-times cult. There is no energy because there is no goal line.

I'm sure the GB hates people in your position, dead weight in their opinion I'm sure (unless you are donating, doesn't sound like you are!)

If I had been in your position, I probably would have never woken up, sometimes you have to be in the thick of it to see how much of it is complete garbage.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

"In the thick of it, to see..."

No truer words LG.

• ?me?
    ?me?

oh yeah, i have given exactly $0 to the hall but do find the time to help on the rbc every once in a while, but they are getting crazy with the safey stuff so i fight it, and now have given it up... i am a contractor and know exactly how and what i need to do my job safely, but the WT needs to instist on stupid reglulatons for jobsites...

• ?me?
    ?me?

lg and ty.... maybe if i try to mix it up with the elders or other in the hall i might get caught up in the junk at the hall, but i let even the stuff that comes around me just slide off my back... go to the mtg, get together with friends, and mind my own business.... i have heard of a few people that get involved in others stuff and get the elders involved in their personal lives, and that is not us... we have successfully ignored 3 sheparding calls attempts in the last 10 years by putting them off...

i can imagine some of you have been caught up in stuff at the hall and in social circles that made it hard to ignore or keep quiet about..

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

LostGen, " A social JW, something that has been increasing over the past decades." I am guessing what you are saying is true of small groups, for example, maybe two or three couples? On a larger scale of social activity, WTBTS has pretty well stomped out any congregational gatherings even to just play softball, larger parties, gatherings, music, dancing, inviting brothers or sisters from other halls, etc. The lack of social activity unless there were several elders there monitoring it assisted me in waking up. Or perhaps you were talking about a social JW, one that is not too interested in pioneering, working on the RBC, basically anything connected with work.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Lucky yous.

Would you feel comfortable telling people you think it's okay to give blood and accept transfusions for example?

• Lynnie
    Lynnie

Are you in WA State perhaps?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit