lager , lager , lager.

by sleepy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Anybody else tried the yard of ale?
    Guaranteed a fun night out!

• sleepy
    sleepy

Please excuse my spelling, its not a welsh thing , just had too much to drink.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Beer is like oral sex; the amount of head you get varies according to where you are.

In England, especially the south, unless one is serving Guiness or another Stout, or one of the Nitro-keg 'Cream Ales' (Ale for lager drinkers), you essentially don't give ANY head. If there's more than a froth at the top, and the glass isn't filled to the brim, you'll get lots of nasty looks and 'to the top, please' comments. In the north I'm told they like more head.

As regards temperature, well, you are more likely nowadays to get lager at a proper lager temperature - as lager is a 'foreign' drink, many pubs didn't have refrigeration in their cellars, as your typical English Bitter or Ale is served cool, but nor refrigerated, so there was never a need. It's less common to get warm larger nowadays, as we appear to be entering the 21st C and have refrigeration for the beers that need it in most pubs.

Never drink English lager. It's foul. The Europeans do it quite nicely thank you; Grolsh and Becks are my favourates. I've mixed feelings about the North American lagers I've drunk; the 'light' stuff like Rolling Rock and Sol is pointless unless you like a lot of water in your beer. Michelob is quite foul. Bud is tolerable at times. The English do very nice Bitters and Ales, as well as some horrid ones. I canot profess any knowledge of American microkegs apart for some half tolerable stuff I had at the Bumbershoot in Seattle a few years ago. There are enough excellent dark beers in Holland and Belgium to keep one occupied for quite some time, like Westmallia Tripple (9% and tastes lovely).

Here in Holland, you get LOADS of head; the little 'pilsje' size is 250ml, which is bugger all really, and you get what looks like an equal amount of head to liquid, so they tend to disappear quickly. They actually froth the beer up and scrape the excess foam off the top with a strip of plastic. Strange, unless it's what you're used to.

England has PATHETIC alcohol measures... they're actually metric now, 25ml... so half the size of most other countries. As for whiskey... well... I like Laphroig... smells funny, tastes great. Canadian whiskey is good too. I like Bourbons too.

• termite 35
    termite 35

Thought i'd get into the beer/lager making again;I made 40 (German pilsner )pints @13p per pint-good eh?!Not really;just noticed yesterday the barrel's been slowly leaking-i've had 20 pints seeping from my airing cupboard upstairs .
    through to the sitting room ceiling!
    QUESTION.How much will one pint of lager cost if the ceiling collapses and the emersion tank falls through the floor?!

• termite 35
    termite 35

In answer to the question ...
    WHAT?Red Wine;The beer that's left in the barrel...

WHERE?Any.

HOW?Open mouth and pour steadily until breath is needed.

• Xander
    Xander

Simon, our micro brews can be tremendous.

OMG YES!! I can't stand the light American beers, either, but WOW - we have some wicked micro-brews here. (Incidently, when not at one, my taste favors Guinness....hmmmmmm....)

We have a local one - 'Willoughby Brewing Company' ( http://www.willoughbybrewing.com/) in an old train station (need setup), that has something - can't remember the name - anyway, a VERY DARK, very thick, lager. 7% alcohol. Now, THAT's a fine beer.

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit