***PART 8-THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY***

by zev 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• zev
    zev

Part 8
    The Undiscovered Country.
    I call this part the Undiscovered Country because #1... I’m a sci-fi (and star trek) fan, and #2... that’s exactly how I saw it when I delved into the “truth” of the truth.

It started around the end of 2000. What really started it was a death of a close friend. It was a moment I’ll never forget in my life. It was at the wake of this friend that it all started. She was a 50-something year old woman, and I had worked for both her and her husband. Their names were Bob and Louise. She died suddenly and without warning. It was a shock to all of us. When I got the call from a friend of mine, Christine, I couldn’t believe my ears. But it was nonetheless true. I went to the wake and stayed for the entire evening. During the wake the priest gave a sermon, a talk of sorts, about her and her life. What was the most touching part was Bob and his stepdaughter giving their eulogy for Louise. I listened to the experience of a lifetime. About how they had met, fallen in love, and made a life together. It was one of the most touching moments of my life. It actually reached inside me and pulled at emotions and feelings I had not had the courage to face.

On the ride home I cried my heart out. This wouldn’t be the first time or the last. I faced a great many things. My unhappiness with my life, specifically my marriage, and the dreaded feelings I had been harboring regarding the Watchtower. By the end of the year I made 3 resolutions. To examine my situation regarding the two aforementioned things, and to examine myself and make decisions on all 3. I knew even as I made these decisions, my road was going to be rough, and it was going to be ugly. Was it ever.

By February 2001 I had already joined this discussion board after lurking for a very short time. Through all that’s posted here, I weeded through specific areas that were of concern to me. I knew all along something wasn’t quite right with my religion, but had never been able to point to it. Somewhat out of fear, and somewhat out of denial. Something had already caught my eye, and that was the truth about pedophiles and cover-ups. This was all new to me, and it was very disturbing. I read letters all over the net and I couldn’t believe what I was reading. Prior to making the decision to investigate my beliefs…www.witnesses.net was closing. Though they would never allow me in (kinda strange, I WAS a dub!) they had posted a large amount of links to jw and non-jw sites when they closed the site down. I book marked as many as I could, but never actually looked into them. I just saved them because I knew something was wrong and I would open them at a time when I was ready.

My fear at the time was greater than my curiosity for truth.

I bought and read Ray Franz’s Crisis of Conscience. Those who have read it know what and eye opener it is. Those who haven’t, find out quickly. I read the book in 5 days, using my lunch times and over free moments to steal a reading of a page or two. As most of us who were still in, I had to hide the book. Gwen had tried to warn me of how the book may affect me. She knew I bought the book, for I told her I had ordered it from Amazon.com. I spent those days with every emotion I ever felt all coming out at once. I have to say it was one of the darkest times of my life. Yet, I wasn’t satisfied. I wanted to know more, so I ordered In Search Of Christian Freedom.

By the time I finished that book and had done some of my own research, I was already on the brink. Some people call this a crossroad. Mine was a “T”, where I could choose left, right, or go straight ahead and off the cliff. That’s how I felt. I was truly stuck between a rock and a hard place. Now I know why so many keep the blinders on and go through life like a lemming. It wasn’t for me and I could not longer follow. But I did, for a few more months anyway. Going to meetings was agony. The blinders were off which made it worse, and better, because now I could “see” hypocrisy right in front of me.

By May of 2001, I was finding out about my faith and what it really was. My plan was that with more research, by the end of the year I would be sure of its validity and know if I would stay "in" to keep peace, or bail and have freedom. Even with all I was discovering, I felt I HAD to make sure for myself.

One Sunday night that May, my wife pushed me over the edge and I admitted that I wasn't satisfied with the "truth". After I confided that, she went on to drill me for hours, to the point that I told her that I would not be attending any more meetings. It was then that she let me know that if I did not attend meetings, then we had no marriage. I've heard stories as such, but never expected that to happen to me. But there it was. Now what? The bitterness of reality, being in the Watchtower.

At this point I made an effort, though she would not allow professional help for us, to try to make it work. But inside, I knew I could never continue in the watchtower, and eventually, I’d have to face my own reality. I also confronted her with respect to her lack of, well, lets be direct here. Sex. It had already been 3 and ½ years or so. As of this time in May 2001, it didn’t get better. I insisted again we should get professional help. No, she wouldn’t hear of it.

Around this time, I approached my boss. I was feeling very desperate. I needed someone I could talk to, someone I could look in the eye and watch their reaction to what I was telling them. I couldn’t talk to any of my “friends” who were “in”. Now she, Christine, had always known I was a jw. Yet one of the things that bothered her was that I never talked about my religion at all. I told her I had been harboring my feelings for years. It was only within the last 4-6 months that I started my investigation of this religion I had been a part of all my life, and ultimately found myself in the situation I was in. She offered to find me some professional help, as she could see how deeply disturbed I was. She wasn’t successful in this but told me there has to be some sort of support group, someone you can talk to online, that shares this type of situation. I told her I already had, but I was looking for more. Nothing compares talking faces to face with another human, which can watch you, listen to you and see the pain you feel.

If ever you people out there feel, like you need help, go for it. If you feel that leaving the watchtower is too much and you need help, find the councilor you need, quickly. I made the huge mistake of thinking, I was a strong person, and I could do this without help. I’m just a human. And it was the wrong decision to make. My experience, though I’m not so good with the words and descriptions of my feelings, was very traumatic. I should have sought professional guidance on my own, just with dealing with all the issues about the watchtower and the control they had on me.

It got so bad, I drank. I could go long periods, years even without a drink. Then there were times beer could always be found in the fridge. I was flexible. It didn’t help, that my wife hated my drinking at all. “Why”, She would ask? Over and over. During this year I gave my reason, finally, to her. To kill the pain. Yes, I was in pain. Lots of pain.

I started talking to my family. My sisters first. Then later my mom and dad. Throughout all the years, they all had drifted away from the watchtower. They could and did go quietly. I was the last one. And going quietly was not for me. I couldn’t. And if I tried, I was going to be pursued. When I told my family, I found out just what a family I had. I had drifted away and practically cut them off. Partly under pressure from my wife because they were “worldly” now, and partly because I was just not good at calling and keeping the ties close. I was only 25 miles away from most of them and there was no excuse for what I did. None at all. But what I found is they were there for me when I was at my lowest. Whatever I would need, eventually they would provide. Without question, this gave me the strength I needed, knowing that they would be there for me REGARDLESS of my reasons, feelings, and thoughts this was MY FAMILY! And I learned a valuable lesson from this. My family loves me for me. For whom I am, whatever that may be and entail. They had lost me for so many years. They were sure glad they could see I was coming back. Even if not physically, at that time, at least I was opening my door when theirs had been open all along.

From May till September, it was all a blur. I lost my grandfather and my best friend in death. While I wasn’t really that close to my grand father, I was close to my friend, Bob. I did post about his loss here. And even now, I still miss him so. He was not a dub, but “worldly”. Even so, we were friends for years, an unlikely match, he being so opinionated, my being so stubborn; yet, we never had harsh words, ever. Just good talk, on the ham radio, in email, and in person. His passing was a great loss to me. He was at least 25 years older, though I never asked, because, it didn’t matter. I went to his funeral and participated in the ceremony even while still technically a dub. I didn’t care. This was my friend. And while in another church or not, I was doing this because of him and what he meant to me. No one ever asked about it and I never volunteered any information. This was between Bob and myself. The dubs had no business intruding into my life there.

During those 4 months I struggled to grasp the situation and to figure things out. It was a very dark time, and I struggled with everything I did. Even if it was nothing. I was so down, that to pick up a fishing pole was too much to ask and too much work. I wasn’t suicidal, mind you. Just very depressed. I didn’t know what to do, where to turn, and how I was going to get out of the watchtower. I only knew I could not continue in the course I was going. It was literally killing me. Mentally, emotionally, and physically.

The Undiscovered Country rears its presence again, in late August, early September.

While at work, posters from this board, post a link to the UN site and the NGO/DPI page. I read it and vowed that whatever I was doing that night, a letter was going to the UN, everything I had planned was at a halt. This took me over, gave me a new outlook, and was something I could get into, reviving me temporarily.

I was on a mission. The letter went. I never received a reply. I posted that letter here, and its effects were unprecedented. Later in September I took my vacation. By the time I returned a week later, I could not believe what was happening. The lid was blown off this issue, and the watchtower had been exposed, by some very good people on this board, who dug in and found the evidence. Hours and hours of research, time, money, and effort was put in. Though I wish I could say I had a greater part, I was still in and had to be very careful.

I made plans while painting my parents house, with my youngest sister. I had faced reality. And I now knew that my leaving the watchtower meant the end of my marriage. We talked and she had a place for me. “Move in with me”, she said. Damn. I hardly new my sister. But family was family. And she was more than willing to help out her hurting older brother.

Between the beginning of October and the beginning of December, I had the darkest, deepest troubled times. Reality was catching up to me. It faced me square in the face and left no room for doubt. I had sent the watchtower a letter. Now, I KNEW what the story was regarding the UN, but for my own reasons, I had to get something in writing. I HAD to do this. I received the reply on November 6th. I had posted it here, and it’s on my website. Once I read it, I knew I was leaving the watchtower for sure, and for good. I only had to face the fact now that I was going to dissolve an 18 year marriage. Though not a great one, it still bothered me terribly that she had forced a choice on me between her perceived “god” and myself.

One more situation developed between the two of us. Though it would just seem to be another quarrel to the outsider, it was the finishing touch to making my decisions, and setting out on new pathways of life.

While at an anniversary party for my elder friend John, whom I went fishing with often, I made the mistake of saying that my sister is pregnant. Now amongst all the “stuff” I had been going through, I honestly had forgot to tell the wife about that. So she was shocked and mad. She announced out loud in front of everyone, “You have to get out.” Now she didn’t mean out of the party. I know her well enough to know that she meant get out, move out, and be on your way.

I was so mad that she humiliated me yet again. I put my coat on and walked out the door. She ran after me and said, “Don’t do this to me.” Not, “I’m sorry”, just “Don’t do this to ME!” Who did what to who? In disgust, I walked the two miles home and left her the car. I took my time and did a lot of thinking. This was the last time I was going to live with humiliation like that. I had heard, repeatedly throughout the years, from her own mouth “if you don’t like it, you can leave”. I confronted her about that after I told her I was leaving for good. I said, people who love each other, NEVER say anything like that. EVER! I can and have asked many people married and those who aren’t, if that has ever been said by themselves or their partner. The answer was almost always a no. Her excuse? “Its just something you say when your mad”. I reminded her for the last time, it is NOT something you ever say for any reason, unless you mean it. I took her advice, after listening to it for 18 years. I started packing my $hit. (male PMS ) On December 7th, 2002, I made the last trip to work from my home. The home I lived in for nearly 18 years.

On the way, she called me on my cell and asked me not to come home, that she couldn’t “bear” to have me there, she couldn’t handle it all. Believe me, I was more than willing to accommodate her. I had already made plans to sleep over my parents house. In the two weeks prior to this, my parents, knowing I had reached the end of the rope, prepared a room for me at considerable effort and expense.

During my workday she called again. This time she asked me to meet her at a local restaurant to “talk”. I reluctantly agreed. When I did meet her, she told me how sorry she was, and that she would change. She said, “I looked at myself through your eyes and I didn’t like what I saw”. You know, that’s too bad. It took this, my leaving, to get an apology out of her. NOW she wants to see a councilor. NOW she wants to make big changes. I said, “It’s too late”. The one thing I knew is that nothing would change. Maybe short term, but eventually, I’d be back to my miserable self, unhappy and grouchy. Abused, degraded, unloved and not wanted, I was not the person I used to be. I was a crushed unhappy shell of my former self. I knew the road to building my existence, my self worth, and confidence, would be a long and difficult one. I left her there that night with only one thought in my head as I rounded the entrance ramp to I-195-w and to my new home, in Rhode Island. That I knew I was going to be all right.

Next part 9

The voyage home.

Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America
    U.A.D.N.A.--Rhode Island

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

wow Zev, you are really good at pouring your heart out.

I can't wait for the rest of the story because I hope this is the bleakest one.

(((zev))) for putting up with so much stuff.

j2bf

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Zev, I could feel the emotion while reading your story. The pain, the heartbreak. Sometimes life is so hard, isn't it? But then, in almost the blink of an eye, things can turn around, things can change completely. I am looking forward to reading the next part.

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

get a firm hold on your REAL life!!!!

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

(((((( zev ))))))))

• Francois
    Francois

You are very wise not to have fallen for the empty excuses. I believe you are right in your estimate that it wouldn't have taken very long for things to get right back to where they had always been: you flat on your back with her foot on your neck. She didn't apologize and say she wanted you to stay because she actually wanted that. What she wanted was to be in control again. I've seen this dynamic a hundred times, been involved in it a time or two myself.

My hat's off to you sir. Ya can't be walked on unless you lie down first. And now you've stood up on your own two feet and become the independant person you've always been. Great, ain't it?

Perhaps you should think about compiling the entire story into one zip file and make it downloadable from your site.

Best,
    Frank

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Wow Zev,

I imagined walking home with you that night of decision. It has been a difficult year, hasn't it.

I went through terrible depression in the last year. Even went on medication for the first time in my life to deal with it. But my wife, two sons and daughter are all together leaving. My parents and inlaws understand and agree not to shun us (though both men are elders). We are not alone as several local friends secretly support each other and maybe more before this is over.

SO WHY WAS I DEPRESSED? I don't even know. Guess just the loss of the fantasy. But you gave up much more like others before you.

Thanks for sharing the painful experience.

Jst2laws

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

[Silent nod]

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• zev
    zev

joy2bfree:

i promise, the next part, maybe two, will be all positive and happy. Honest!

Dutchie:

reading others storys on this board, inspired me to do this. it was and is very helpful, not only to myself, but to everyone who reads them. it was very emotional to read and write. but in the end, if one person benifits from my experience, then its all worth every minute, hour, day, weeks, and months it took to write it all.

singsongboi:

i did.

dungbeetle:
    thank you! (((dungbeetle))) who was there when i needed to talk to someone.

Francois:

the thing i thought about when i read your comment, frank, is i'm no longer a doormat. thats how i felt, and thats how i lived for so long. i pulled that part of me in, but i'm very lucky to still have all of my feelings, emotions, and mental stability intact. WHEW! it could have been worse. i'm very lucky.

jst2laws:

yes, it was very painfull. sometimes, i just didn't know if i was gonna make it through it all without cracking. i've read others experiences that made me feel the same way. sometimes, it wasn't what was said, it was what WASN'T said, and the "feeling" that went with those thoughts, i could imagine and feel myself, having been through it. it was very powerful, sometimes so powerful all i could do was cry.

Elsewhere:

thank you. sometimes when words cannot be found, a look is all that can be mustered. been there myself.

to everyone else on the board...

part nine, the voyage home, will cover the last 4-5 months, and my experiences, thoughts and feelings i had to deal with in the aftermath of all of this. though very emotional times were upon me, it wasn't bad or negative at all. you'll see ...

to be continued....

Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America
    U.A.D.N.A.--Rhode Island

• Gopher
    Gopher

Zev,

Thanks for sharing these accounts and the feelings that went with them. In some things, we see hindsight is 20-20, for example when you said those who cannot cope well should get counselling! That may have helped you land in the "happy state" where you now are a little sooner. But at least you got there.

And I totally agree with Francois based on my personal experience above. When you are mistreated / humiliated / abused over a long period of time by a spouse, they have irretrievably broken the marriage. No last-minute repentance can possibly make up for all the times she dogged you! You gotta do what's right for you, even if you look like the "bad guy" in the eyes of a bunch of false friends (JW's). Why do they always seem to take the side of the abuser (who continues to promote JW-ism) in disputes like this?

Your experience shows that we CAN make a move to make our circumstances better! No matter how hard it is, and no matter how lonely we feel about it at first, things will work out if we are true to ourselves and to principles, rather than just going with the flow.

Your story shows it can be done!

-J.R.

This post was not evaluated by any mental health professionals.
    Any opinions expressed are those of a fuzzy, cuddly rodent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit