My "Leaving" Letter

by lambsbottom 13 Replies latest jw friends

• lambsbottom
    lambsbottom

Hello everyone,

Through what I have learned from reading Bro. Russell's writings about the ransom for all, coupled with the blood issue, I feel the need to let my friends know that I am making a stand for truth. I could have lost my wife to the blood issue during pregnancy. I have a JW friend with a pregnant wife and simply cannot stay quiet. My conscience is crying out.

Here is the letter I have drafted. Let me know your thoughts. I am trying to keep it sweet and simple.

Dear Friends,

I am writing this post to inform everyone that I have not attended the religious services of Jehovah's Witnesses since last summer, and will not be returning to those services.

******* and I are happily married. I have not been involved in any “serious sin”. I make it my goal, every day, to serve Jehovah God by seeking truth and righteousness. My love for Biblical truth is why I have made this serious decision.

If any of you would like to understand more why I have made this decision, I will be available, by phone or in person, to answer your questions.

I would like to leave with you two thoughts for consideration:

1) At one time, the Watchtower stated that ALL mankind benefited from the ransom of Jesus Christ. It also stated that Armageddon was a time when Christ would remove the governments of this world and not a time for destruction of "unbelievers". However, the long held belief of the modern “Governing Body” is that a person must be baptized as a Jehovah's Witness to be benefited by the ransom.

"There is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a Ransom for all, to be testified in due time." – 1 Tim. 2:5,6 (ESV).

2) The Watchtower, at one time, made the following comments regarding Acts 15:29 (the scripture that is used by the modern “Governing Body” to enforce that having a Blood Transfusion is a "serious sin"):

"He further suggested writing to them merely that they abstain from pollutions of idols, i.e., from meats offered to idols (verse 29), and from things strangled and from blood - as by eating such things they might become stumbling blocks to their Jewish brethren (See 1 Cor. 8:4-13)- and from fornication. ... It will be noticed that nothing is said about keeping the Ten Commandments, nor any part of the Jewish law. It was evidently taken for granted that having received the spirit of Christ the new law of love would be a general regulation for them. The things mentioned were merely to guard against stumbling themselves or becoming-stumbling blocks to others." Watch Tower 1892 Nov 15 pp.350-351

Please be assured of my brotherly love toward ALL of you. I hope to continue my friendship with each and every one of you.

May Jehovah bless you,

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Hi Lambsbottom, in the past, I have thought about how I would compose a letter to friends & family if my departure from the Org was going to be publicised.

Knowing how most J.W.'s "apostate radar" works, the last thing I would say is that I was leaving - it wouldn't be the first thing!!

Otherwise, some might only read the first few lines and hear the "apostate bogey-man" shouting 'boo' at them, and then they throw your letter in the bin!

I'd start the letter with - "I am writing to share two very important topics with you, which as your Brother, I hope you will give some consideration to.....", then explain your points.

By the time they've read your vital information, you've achieved your primary purpose of sharing that knowledge. Now you can tell them what they may already have suspected by reading your contra-Org statements. Too late to rip up the letter now - they've looked at the "Medusa", and now they're going to turn to stone!

Just my 2 cents worth1

• Driving Force
    Driving Force

Don't send it, that's my opinion, and has nothing to do with the contents.
    It is just the type of thing the watchtower police (elders) want to see, to give them an excuse to DA you. You are then showing them you accept their authority. Fading is showing them you do not accept their authority and they hate that.

No JW will talk to you on the street after you send it. If you do not send it you may have the chance to mention one or the other point to someone, which may disturb their indoctrination trance they are in.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I tend to agree with Driving Force. Say what you need to your friends, but hesitate to put it in writing.

I don't want to be the ultimate downer, but most who fade or leave any other way still wind up losing their JW friends.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I like your letter Lambsbottom but agree with The Searcher. Before I go into that I want to tell you that Blood and Armageddon were the two doctrines that started our exit. My wife and I wanted to start a family but in no way did we want to subject our family to the kind of risk associated with refusing a life saving blood transfusion. This was in the 1960's and medical procedures were not what they are today.

Armageddon was just crazy........ I need not beat that horse.

So here's why I agree with The Searcher the apostate tag will surly trigger a rejection. Your hope to continue friendship with those you are writing to will be difficult.

While the issues you bring up and your concerns are justified and well presented........I wonder if you could be more successful by using the growing pedophile issue, the 2 witness rule and the fact that pedophiles are known to be members of congregations some even Elders and MS all are repeat offenders with rare exception and have that opportunity to do so because the Society interferes with the decision to contact the police immediately. And abused children have even been called before the Elders with the offender present and questioned and asked to share the details.

The situation in my opinion is out of control and changes and safeguards need to be put into place.

As a father you have deep reservations seeing this issue fester. Waiting on Jah is not the immediate solution. You could list the newscasts that clearly should that repeat offenders have been stalking JW children and causing great harm for decades.

Just sharing a thought or two.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I totally agree with Driving Force.

Doc

• lambsbottom
    lambsbottom
    Aw man, I was hoping for a majority consensus. LOL. Thanks everyone, y'all have been a great support over the years. If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't be out.
  • tiffy0212
    tiffy0212
    Don't send the letter. You to not have to play by their rules.
  • Floodguy
    Floodguy

I've shot my mouth off to an elder both literally and in print. Since we've known each other my entire life, and I was considered furniture at the Hall, he hasn't shared anything. He has since stepped down I hear.

One thing though, I was asked to an elders meeting as soon as I questioned the 607 teaching. I knew it was a lure to get me in front of "two witnesses " so I said that I didn't have time yet, but that I would get back to them. Then never did. Haven't heard anything in about a year now.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Aw man, I was hoping for a majority consensus.

I think you damn near got that.

It just wasn't what you wanted to hear.

Most of us do not intend to play by their rulebook any longer. Sending a letter like that just makes it EASY for the Elders to DA you. No meeting. No nothing. Because YOU have DA yourself by your statements.

Just say NO!

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit