Question for those who believe the bible.

by seven006 82 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sirona
    Sirona

I'm glad this thread was resurrected, its great.

As a pagan, I personally believe that myths can be useful to us. The common themes in myth may reveal the nature of the human psyche and the nature of the divine (Jungian theory I believe).

In the end it doesn't matter if Jesus existed, but it matters that we 'get' the message of why that story is still so important to humankind. What does it reveal about us? How can we correct our wrongs, and build upon our good points (individually)?

The existence of myth does not prove that there is no God.

I personally believe in a universal force that we call God, and the faces that we give to God are a mirror reflecting back to us what WE are.

Sirona

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

Hi Dave,
    Great thread!! I especially enjoyed your comparison of Jesus and Budha/Krishna. 
    Very interesting. I copied and pasted it for future reference.

Heaven,
    I completely sympathize with you. I think I am probably right about where you are, spiritually 
    speaking. 
    		I have lost faith in supposed "men of God" (and that's not just within the WTBS), 
    which has in effect 
    		bled over into my faith in the bible...and somewhat in God. I just got out of 
    the borg about 7 mos ago, 
    		and even before then I had my doubts about the bible. I had many
    folks show me inconsistencies in 
    		the bible, that I tried for the longest to just ignore or to 
    excuse by telling myself, "Well, that doesn't 
    		prove anything because God can do anything. It 
    is beyond our human comprehension." Now, I am 
    		at the point where I do not believe the bible
    is infallible. I simply cannot. I have read too many 
    		contradictions, and things that just don't make
    sense. I believe that the bible has many stories 
    		that can be morally beneficial (but at the same time,
    it also has many that are brutally atrocious). 
    		But I can't let go of my belief in a higher power; 
    a creator. I am simply not ready to do that, and 
    		I don't know if I ever will be. I consider myself 
    a theistic agnostic. I also read a thread by someone 
    		about Deists...their beliefs sound a lot like
    the way I believe too. I'll see if I can find that Deist 
    		thread and post it for you . 
    Bona

Sorry, about the double spacing. I can't seem to get rid of it...

Edited by - Bona Dea on 19 July 2002 11:42:31

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

Heres the link to that Deist thread that I was talking about:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=31064&site=3

Dave, I hope you don't mind me veering off the subject there . My apologies.

Take care all,

Bona

• seven006
    seven006

Larc,

I would like for just one simple scripture to once ask the reader to "do the math" on anything. What peels my banana is how those who believe in the Noah story rationalize that all the thousands of species of animals were all carried in just a few starter members of their particular species. These few representatives of the various animal kingdom "just happened" to spawn all the other thousands of species of their kind and "just happen" to spread them into specific parts of the world.

Many animal species are only found in remote parts of the world. How did they get there from the ark? How did animal species who do not swim like some species of monkeys get to remote islands thousands of miles off the mainland? Why isn't their archeological evidence of kangaroos spread all the way from north Africa to Australia? If they can find dinosaur bones dating back millions of years why cant they find bones of all the various animals that show a trail from the ark to all the different remote parts of the world?

I have a hard time accepting that two little snakes were the ancestors of all the thousands different kinds of snakes that are found all over the world. What about insects? Did Noah take all the millions of kinds of insets on the big boat or did all of them just tread water for a year?

Damn it, you guys got me back into all this crap again. I don't care, I don't care, I don't care!

Sirona,

I would say you have a great outlook on it all. Belief is something great to have when proof is too hard to find. The problem with belief is once it turns into faith all absolute logical thought is thrown out the door. Faith nullifies belief and that is what has got this world all screwed up with all its religions. If there is a god, I don't think he would be this childish game playing blood thirsty egotistical insecure creature the bible tries to portray him as. I'm no great human being myself, but I have a hell of a lot more logic, compassion and love for my fellow man then the big guy in the bible.

Bona,

If you want to really blow your mind, run the comparisons with Superman and Jesus. It's freaky if you take the time to sit down and put it all together.

Take care

Dave

PS: Bona, have at it. I thought this thread died a long time ago

Edited by - seven006 on 19 July 2002 12:23:2

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

Dave,

If you want to really blow your mind, run the comparisons with Superman and Jesus. It's freaky if you take the time to sit down and put it all together.

I would LOVE to see that!!! If you ever get the chance to post something like that, let me know so my mind can be totally blown .

Bona

• thewiz
    thewiz

all i know about george washignton i read from books (that someone else wrote). i've been to mt vernon, va. twice. but how do i know if he ever really existed? so why not question absolutely everything.

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

It's so simple. The flood really occured just as the Bible says. Satan just hid all of the evidence.

Of course hiding all of the evidence was a much greater miracle than the flood. So God realized he couldn't let Satan deceive Man like this. God thought and thought and decided to have some men write a book about him to explain all of this. Unfortunately since God himself didn't write the book, a few details got left out. Satan laughed at him and said "It would be a miracle if you can get anyone to believe that krap". God got pissed. He told Satan "You just wait, if any of them do believe it I will give them everlasting life". So anyway I think this clears up all of those silly questions about the flood.

If anyone has any more silly questions. Just let me know, and I will clear them up for you.

pseudoxristos

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    The last savior of the world I heard about was Superman. I still think he can kick Spiderman ass

The Hulk is returning in 8 months (summer of 2003)

Damn it, you guys got me back into all this crap again. I don't care, I don't care, I don't care!
  • SYN
    SYN

None of you people have FAITH! You must BELIEVE! Ghod moves in mysterious ways! So mysteriously in fact, that no credible witness has ever seen him moving at all!

• seven006
    seven006

I have seen god move in mysterious ways before. Back in my sex and drug experimental days I saw god a few times. Yes, he did float around in the sky and he also wore French cut panties with ruffles. Well, at least I thought it was god. I was really messed up back then. I don't do drugs anymore and I haven't seen god since I did.

I have often wondered if the true reality of life is only seen under the influence of mind altering substances and when we are completely sober our everyday life is actually the true fantasy we experience. I think as a teenager I took a spiritual detour when I rolled joints using bible pages. I felt that mixing pot and the holy scriptures was simply another way of searching for absolute truth in the bible (I wasn't much of a reader back then). After smoking all of Genesis, Exodus, and half of Leviticus I thought I would be enlightened. After all, it was taken from my green bible, it made sense to me at the time.

Different people search for god in different ways, smoking bible pages was my way. My logic was if god didn't want us to smoke pot he wouldn't have created it. I also felt that if god didn't want us to use bible pages to roll joints in he wouldn't have had them print his words in tobacco paper.

In the world of god stuff you can twist anything to fit your own personal interpretation of spirituality. My philosophy on it now is believe what ever the hell you want as long as you don't hurt anyone or drive them crazy and it makes you wake up in the morning with a smile on your face. As I recall, I smiled a lot back then and ate barrels full of potato chips.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit