People, it really is this simple

by Trevor Scott 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

Thanks for all the comments.

I love this angle to debunking the Watchtower Society. You can run around in circles forever arguing doctrine because of its subjective nature, but a lie is a lie is a lie.

The vast majority of dubs will sit on doctrinal concerns - "wait on Jehovah" and all that - but (imo) blatant outright lying is far more difficult to swallow in terms of cognitive dissonance.

I went through some serious anxiety during my own exodus from the JWs. Uncovering the blatant lies of the organization enabled me to immediately discount the Watchtower Society as being "true religion".

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

Lie or not: "I only believe in what is in line with my belief"

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Just wait on Jehovah... and wait... and wait...

• factfinder
    factfinder

marked

• Fernando
    Fernando

Great OP Trevor Scott.

Great catch The Searcher.

It seems they tried to address their problem (not sure if more lies or true):

*** jv p. 719 Noteworthy Events in the Modern-day History of Jehovah’s Witnesses ***
    1918 The discourse “The World Has Ended—Millions Now Living May Never Die” is first delivered, on February 24, in Los Angeles, California. On March 31, in Boston, Massachusetts, the talk is entitled “The World Has Ended—Millions Now Living Will Never Die”

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman
    I went through some serious anxiety during my own exodus from the JWs. Uncovering the blatant lies of the organization enabled me to immediately discount the Watchtower Society as being "true religion".

After learning about many of the lies myself I came to an alternate conclusion.

The Watchtower is the religion the bible tells us about!

Thessalonians 2:9-12

But the lawless one’s presence is according to the operation of Satan with every powerful work and lying signs and portents 10 and with every unrighteous deception for those who are perishing, as a retribution because they did not accept the love of the truth that they might be saved. 11 So that is why God lets an operation of error go to them, that they may get to believing the lie, 12 in order that they all may be judged because they did not believe the truth but took pleasure in unrighteousness.

abe

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Jesus warned not to follow religious eschatalogical deceivers.

Luke 21: "And He said, "See to it that you are not misled; for many will come in My name, saying, 'I am He,' and, 'The time is near.' Do not go after them."

• adamah
    adamah

yadda yadda said-

Luke 21: "And He said, "See to it that you are not misled; for many will come in My name, saying, 'I am He,' and, 'The time is near.' Do not go after them."

Of course, a readers' narcissism will tell them that the advice doesn't apply to THEM, but the OTHERS. That's the irony here: every reader is convinced the Bible, the best-selling book of ALL TIME, is personally written for THEM and THEM ALONE. Anything that strokes their ego is directed at them, but all the warnings are directed to OTHERS.

Even examples of the most-outrageous multiple flip-flops (eg anyone remember the MANY flip-flops on the question of resurrection of inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah? What, was it like SIX?) are easily-dismissed with three words: "That's Old Light". Proverbs 4:18 is twisted beyond recognition:

"But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established."

A flip-flop is NOT "bright light getting lighter and lighter", but is like the Sun rising at dawn, but then the Sun reversing in it's orbit and it gets darker, then reversing again and it gets lighter, but then reverses its course, etc.

If pressed on the point, they usually respond with, "well, what is the GB supposed to do? NOT change a false teaching after new information is obtained by God?", where they miss the fundamental point: flip-flops are evidence of the GB being WRONG in the first place, per Proverbs 4:18.

But again, if most people believed based on logic and NOT moreso driven by their emotional reptilian brains, then religions would disappear yesterday.

Adam

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

abe, yadda:

Those verses perfectly describe the Watchtower Society. I would add Ephesians 4:14:

So then, we may no longer be children, tossed like ships to and fro between chance gusts of teaching and wavering with every changing wind of doctrine, the prey of the cunning and cleverness of unscrupulous men, gamblers engaged in every shifting form of trickery in inventing errors to mislead. (AMP)

However, this brings me back to my original point about the subjective nature of doctrine. As Adam mentioned, no JW will accept these verses as applying to the Watchtower Society, regardless of how well the shoe fits to an objective observer. To the JW, the verses DO NOT apply. But the fact that the Watchtower Society has lied and is therefore a LIAR ORGANIZATION cannot be disputed. At the very least, every JW has to walk away with the knowledge that the Watchtower Society is teaching lies. How much cognitive dissonanace this knowledge causes depends on the heart condition of the individual JW.

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman
    As Adam mentioned, no JW will accept these verses as applying to the Watchtower Society, regardless of how well the shoe fits to an objective observer

Trevor,

Yep!

and what you stated above ensures that yet another bible scripture applies to them:

Matthew 24:37-39

For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. 38 For as they were in those days before the flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark; 39 and they took no note until the flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be

abe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit