People, it really is this simple

by Trevor Scott 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Zoos
    Zoos

bookmarked

• carla
  • AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I once had a JW admit to me that, "yes, the Watchtower Society lied." He quickly followed up that statement with "But it doesn't matter, because they have the truth!"

Truthful lies are definitely more believable than lying lies.

Oh what a tangled web they weave.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

"Since long before World war I Jehovah's Witnesses pointed to 1914 as the time for this great event to occur." WT 6 /15 1954 Jehovahs Witnesses didn't exist until 1931. The IBSA before 1919 are no longer recognized as having the truth. Russell has recently been fired.

• designs
    designs

Whoever wrote the Proclaimer's Book was on Peyote.

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott
    Jehovahs Witnesses didn't exist until 1931.

Hence, the lower case w in "Jehovah's witnesses" in the quote.

• adamah
    adamah

Trevor said-

I once had a JW admit to me that, "yes, the Watchtower Society lied." He quickly followed up that statement with "But it doesn't matter, because they have the truth!"

Amazing, isn't it? And the thing is, he probably said it and didn't even blink.

So from the outside, how do we distinguish between a believer's protecting their FAITH vs just stubbornly refusing to consider any evidence that counters their beliefs that they REALLY DON'T want to hear?

(And note that the guy you talked to didn't even have to plug his ears and close his eyes like the pix: he did it in his mind.)

Because from where I'm sitting, they look pretty much the same to me.

That's why it's not about coming up with the PERFECT logical argument: people only believe what they WANT to believe (eg what makes them feel comforted and happy, AKA sweet lil' lies). So without experiencing sufficient emotional motivation that allows them to see the basic illogic around them on display, there's no chance of getting through via logic.

Adam

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

Adam, good points. And you're right, of course - he didn't even blink.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Oh, I was waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy off. They didn't capitalize the W.

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

3rdgen,

Don't know if they still harp on it, but they used to be pretty anal about lower case w "witnesses" vs upper case w "Witnesses".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit