Whats the "current light" on standing vs sitting during the national anthem?

by BU2B 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BU2B
    BU2B

This is something that seems to be conterversial in Dubbieland. I have always seen JWs stand when at sporting events, but I have heard conversations in which the Dubs said they would either linger in the hallways until it was over, or else sit down during it.

Most of the time when there is such discrepancy between JWs it means the light has been flicked on and off so often it leaves them dazed and confused.

Does anyone know the "current understanding" on this topic? I am going to a NFL game this sunday of my local team with some dubs and I dont want to be embarassed, lol.

• designs
    designs

Good topic, that was always confusing back in the 60s when I was in school.

• mindnumbed
    mindnumbed

I don't know if it is in writing.

About a decade or so ago one of the elders in my congregation chastised a ministerial servant for standing for national anthem and used it as a reason not to recommend for elder promotion.

It was explained to me at the time that with the Pledge of Allegiance, standing was okay as long as you didn't recited the pledge and/or put your hand over your heart, because this would show participation while simply standing could mean respectful but not participating.

I was told that the national anthem was different because most show support simply by standing and that a JW should sit during it. I know some who would avoid the awkwardness of this by conveniently being gone from their seat at the time of the anthem so they could excuse their conscience from not sitting.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Unless something slipped under my radar, it has been fairly consistent over the past years.

Basically, if you are already standing there is no reason to sit. But if you are sitting, you do not stand.

At sporting events, you typically know when the national anthem is to be played so most go to the restroom or stand in the hallway. Really not a big issue at sporting events since you are often standing and cheering anyway. Otherwise, if something unexpected happens, just get up and go to the restroom.

Rub a Dub

• mindnumbed
    mindnumbed

In the 80's, JW and Tigers baseball player Lou Whitaker would not stand for the national anthem during ball games.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" At sporting events, you typically know when the national anthem is to be played so most go to the restroom or stand in the hallway. Really not a big issue at sporting events since you are often standing and cheering anyway. Otherwise, if something unexpected happens, just get up and go to the restroom."

Yep!!! LOL!!! We have "THE TRUTH" and all must be given a witness before the END! We are proud to have THE truth! So proud in fact, that just like the three faithful Hebrews, Hannaniah, Mishael, and Azariah, we conveniently go pretend to get a beer or use the head before we hear the harps, and horns, and zithers!! What a glorious witness! The angels in the outfield were witnesses to our scurrying to the hot-dog stand.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

we conveniently go pretend to get a beer or use the head before we hear the harps, and horns, and zithers!!

data-dog ...

LOL ... yes, there is a disproportionate number of JW's in line buying hot dogs and beer during the national anthem. I can attest to that.

Rub a Dub

• St George of England
    St George of England

As RubaDub said. I think it changed to that in 1985, previously if you were standing you had to sit.

George

• mindnumbed
    mindnumbed

It is in writing.

*** sj pp. 15-16 Flag Salute, Anthems and Voting ***
    National Anthems and School Songs
    A national anthem often is, in effect, a hymn or a prayer set to music. The Encyclopedia Americana (1956) says: “Love of fatherland and pride in one’s country are the keynotes of most national anthems, and in many, religious feeling is blended with patriotic sentiment.” Actually, patriotic songs express the same fundamental ideas that are embodied in the pledge of allegiance to the flag. And since there is no Scriptural basis for the nationalistic pride that has so divided our world, we do not join in singing songs that extol any earthly nation.—Acts 17:26; John 17:15, 16.
    When national anthems are played, usually all that a person has to do to show that he shares the sentiments of the song is to stand up. In such cases, Witness youths remain seated. However, if our youths are already standing when the national anthem is played, they would not have to take the special action of sitting down; it is not as though they had specifically stood up for the anthem. On the other hand, if a group are expected to stand and sing, then our young people may rise and stand out of respect. But they would show that they do not share the sentiments of the song by refraining from singing.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    On the other hand, if a group are expected to stand and sing, then our young people may rise and stand out of respect. But they would show that they do not share the sentiments of the song by refraining from singing.

mindnumbed ...

Wow ... I totally missed that.

So now I understand why some at sporting events stand for the national anthem when it is announced ... "Stand and put your right hand on your heart." Basicly, if there is more than just standing involved, then it is ok to stand. Interesting.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit