What is new about the Candace Conti trial

by smiddy 19 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    she and her family can benefit from it for decades or more.

Yes, for overlapping future generations.

Rub a Dub

• smiddy
    smiddy

So how close , or far away, are we from a settlement in this case ? I know the WTB&TS would like to drag this case on indefinetely , but surely the judicial system has a limit to how far this can drag on ?

smiddy

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am no expert, but I heard Mr Simons, Candace's attorney, say on a video that after this stage is heard by the Court, it would still be many months before a conclusion.

We must not get too excited yet, nor even when it is finished, we need to then look at the result, and then judge what is the best way to get it out in the public domain by a variety of Media.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

September 2013 update on documents and court records relating to the case of “Candace Conti v. Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York & North Fremont Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses”.

http://jwleaks.org/2013/09/01/conti-v-watchtower-3/

Further, all parties have made application to the court to present oral argument in support of their claims.

JW LEAKS

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

There will probably be an opinion released by the California appeals court sometime in the Spring. That may or may not be a conclusion. It is possible that the losing party could appeal to be heard by the CA Supreme Court, who may or may not agree to hear the case. It's also possible that the appeals court could order a new trial, which could take some time to occur, and then THAT trial could be subject to appeal. Or the decision of this appeals court could be the last word. No one really knows right now.

• smiddy
    smiddy

This is utter bullshit ,the legal system of America needs to be revised. And overhauled because the system you have got is dysfunctional .

smiddy

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

Smiddy, it's true there are a lot of things that are fair to criticize about the U.S. legal system. But one thing that I think it's important to remember is that the U.S. system is far more friendly to private tort plaintiffs seeking money damages than just about anywhere else. I think it's safe to say that if these facts were replicated in any other major country, Ms. Conti would have never been awarded a judgment of millions of dollars against the WTS in the first place. One of the tradeoffs that plaintiffs give up in exchange for broad rights to sue is that defendants also have broad rights to appeal.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

although I am an atheist I am praying for Candace to succeed and for watchtower to lose their appeal. My jw life and my christian friends tell me that prayers work.

So I am focusing on the fact that Mr Simmons argues convincingly that Jehovahs witnesses elders and the organisation have a duty of care towards vulnerable children who are counted in as participants in their closely supervised activity of field service (it is closely supervised to keep out those who not in good standing, to monitor those those who have not been given the designation unbabtised publisher for example, so why after the elders of Fremont congregation realised that Kendrick was a child molester (according to their own testimony) did they not implement a supervisory and protective care plan for vulnerable children in the congregation as they do when they want to monitor other threats to vulnerable sheep and to their preaching work.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Welcome to the board Ruby456

Look forward to hearing more about you and your experiences and your input from your posts and comments.

smiddy

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

thanks smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit