If YOUR Child Turned Out To Be A Child Abuser Would You Hate Him?

by minimus 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• minimus
    minimus

Let me say, from the beginning, that I believe child abuse is disgusting and terrible and abusers should be punished.

We often react to the subject by getting very riled up, sometimes threatening to beat up or even kill an abuser.

I wonder, would you feel the same way if you realized that your child was an abuser?

• minimus
    minimus

interesting......

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

No. I don't think so, disappointed and sad yes but not hate.

• tec
    tec

In answer to the OP... no.

It would be heartbreaking, but no... and there are a lot of parents who take care of their grandchildren because of this situation, who do not enable the abuse and do what they can to prevent it... but do not hate their own child either. (there are some parents who hate their child too, but perhaps because they find that easier than dealing with the pain... or guilt from their own possible failings or abuse or neglect)

Peace,

tammy

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

The acorn doesnt fall far from the tree.

• DogGone
    DogGone

I'm sure this is not suprising, given my earlier posts on this topic, but I'd love him or her. I'd ensure help was provided to prevent future abuse and that ownership was taken for the mistakes made. That would extend outside of just children (I don't have any children yet, but we are excitedly expecting) to family and friends. For me, this is not just hypothetical.

• minimus
    minimus

I am sure some pedophiles justify their actions and I believe some would be repulsed by their feelings.

Usually, abuse begets abuse, sad to say.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Minimus has reached a new desperate low in attention seeking from starting random threads.

• minimus
    minimus

Actually, I think many people are programmed to knee jerk reactions. If you were to think of this situation very close to home, your vehemence might not be so boisterous.....ok, yadayadayada

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

My JW mother revealed way too much to me in a conversation once.

I managed to get in a comment that I would never ever shun my son (or daughter) no matter what.

She asked, "What if he was a murderer?" I said that I would not condone murder nor help him escape justice, but would be there for him, helping to get good legal counsel and visiting him in prison regardless of his attitude about the crime. If he was released from prison, I would help him even more.

She switched to "Yeah, but what if he was gay? I would have to stay away from him."

It didn't fit at all. SO FRIGGIN' WHAT? But it showed how her Witness training told her that was disgusting. I am glad I haven't had to face that with my mother.

I said that proper communication and showing of love does not mean "approval" of your son's choices in life. (I do approve of gay lifestyles, but I was trying to get through to my JW mother.) "I would never ever shun my son (or daughter) no matter what."

I have to be consistent. I can believe that child abusers must be punished, yet I can aid my son to obtain good counsel. I mean, I want him to get fair treatment and he is my son (in this scenario). Of course there is an inner conflict about wishing such people get their testicles nailed to a ten-foot pole and then discovering that the person is your son. That's why I wouldn't be on the jury. I would not hate my son no matter what.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit