Question regarding Faith...(adamah)

by tec 210 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec
    anyone here heard about Menocchio, the humble Italian miller who said "I don't believe if I don't see"

I have not heard of him, no. (but I haven't heard fo a liot of people, lol)

Menocchio also reasoned that Christ did not descend from the cross when the jews asked him to because he (Christ) wasn't able to. Imagine saying that in 16th century Italy - well he was condemned by the inquistiion and lost his life for heresy.

Well, I can see why he would wish for a more loving 'church'.

It is so odd how people can get on to thinking that their actions are of TRUTH, when they are so obviously opposite if one IS looking at Christ. Christ was condemned and put to death. He never condemned anyone to death, much less carried out that sentence.

Otwo mentioned how it is no different between one or the other making such claims of doing things in the name of God.

But it is easy to see how these people -though they claimed to be rendering sacred service to God - were false. Hold them up to the LIGHT. They were NOT following Christ; they were not even looking at Him. Neither were those who belonged to and followed them; over Christ.

Christ governs His church (the Body of Christ; the Bride). Men govern the others.

Peace Ruby,

tammy

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    But that just makes your 'light digs' shallow and without meaning. If you want someone to see the flaw in their reasoning, you should probably be paying attention. Just a thought.

I doubt that I could do better than my light digs do to make you see the flaws in your reasoning by paying attention to this endless debate more seriously. Go back to the picture of the blindfolds. Serious debate is lost on you. The only hope is that you see simple logic flaws and holes in your way of thinking.

Christians think that Jesus is the greatest and latest prophet. Muslims think that Mohammed is the latest and greatest prophet. Mormons think that Joseph Smith filled that roll. If we leave out "greatest," we can fill a book with groups and individuals who think someone was the latest prophet, like Scientologists believing L. Ron Hubbard was the latest prophet. We can fill volumes if we collect the names of people who are sure they have "heard" from the spirit world or from the creator in some way. So many prophets and claimers, so little time.

Flood myths predate the Bible, one being the Epic of Gilgamesh. Some even include instructions to build an ark or something similar to save life and animals. Virgin birth myths of other beliefs predate the Bible. No matter how many beliefs of Christianity can be found borrowed or stolen from other beliefs, some Christians go on their merry way insisting, "Yes, but my beliefs are genuine- from the source."
    So many prophets and claimers, so little time.

• adamah
    adamah

Tammy, no offense, but you're shown great resilience to logical thinking and rationalism which is the hallmark of someone possessing the short-term memory of a gnat; it's pointless to try to connect the dots, since you're unable to look at one dot without forgetting where the prior dot was located.

As an example, you just wrote this above:

Adamah: And remember the thief on the cross? His example indicates that general gullibility and a willingness to believe in what we WANT to be true is a valuable trait (esp when there's no other alternatives, in his case). He goes to heaven, despite being a thief his entire life?

TEC:

You don't know what the thief on the cross felt.

And then, in the VERY NEXT SENTENCE, you say:

He KNEW he did wrong.

As if YOU know what he KNEW (I know, you trust the Lukian narrative on this one, and you don't need to rely on what Jesus told YOU about why he saved the thief....)

My point was that the account fits in with the NT agenda of placing FAITH above everything else, and that account demonstrates that exact tendency. You missed that point, but instead brought it back to YOUR gnosis, YOUR interpretation.

Hence it's tiresome to engage with you, since you don't interact with a shred of "good faith", since YOU are the know-it-all who claims Jesus as your trump card in your back pocket, being able to insist YOU are right and the Bible account is wrong since you point to Jesus as your source, as if no one will notice that Jesus would have to be contradicting himself and ignorant of the Bible accounts! Myself and others (eg jgnat) have shown contradictions and errors in your understanding (even on this thread as far as your misunderstanding of the concept of faith), but you're Teflon to logic, and there's no penetrating emotional defense mechanisms; that's on YOU to tear them down, not us.

That's the dishonor you're actually providing to the spirit beings you CLAIM to be serving: you're in effect blaming THEM, and actually dishonoring them in the process. YOU, TEC, are providing AMPLE evidence that Gods are only a product of fallible human minds, even if you cannot see it yourself.

So when you wrote this about the thief:

He did not try to excuse it or blame others, AND, he did good to Christ (as much good as he was capable of doing from his 'tenuous' position).

Methinks you really should reflect on your own eisegetical rationale, since ironically, the advise we offer others often speaks more to the lessons we MOST need to learn. And you are NOT exempt from that rule, since it's a fundamental of human nature.

So I'm agreeing with Cofty and OTWO here, as there's no point in continuing to engage in a 'conversation' with someone who is so cognitively-blinded so as to continue to violate the very rules they insist asymetrically apply to everyone else BUT themselves.

PS I did answer the question on Peter, since I advised you to read Aslan's book Zealot, wherein he discusses the "Messianic Secret"; sorry, but you're going to have to pay $$$ to buy the book or check it out from the library, if you want to know the opinions of Biblical scholars (or better yet, just ask Jesus: it's FREE!).

Adam

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I withdraw all my previous conversations with TEC, just to chime in and agree wholeheartedly with what Adamah said above.

Whatever I said, NEVERMIND. Stick with answering to what Adamah discusses with you.

• tec
    tec
    I doubt that I could do better than my light digs do to make you see the flaws in your reasoning by paying attention to this endless debate more seriously.

Your little digs do nothing.

There are plenty of beliefs that I disagree with... but I'm not going to pursue the people who hold them just to throw some snark at them.

Go back to the picture of the blindfolds. Serious debate is lost on you. The only hope is that you see simple logic flaws and holes in your way of thinking.

Point out logic flaws and holes, and prove them, and I might have to concede to them. But you have not; nor has Adamah. That there are false prophets/christs out there and people following them is not a logical reason to assume that all are false, though that would be their purpose - to mislead and/or lead people away from the Truth, and toward them instead.

I could use the picture of the blindfolds also, to represent how some of you simply refuse to look at CHRIST, rather than at the bible or at what men and religions teach in any debate about a matter to do with faith in Christ and His Father (as this one IS), and then when the bible does not appear to be going your way, then you dismiss it and say none of it is real anyway.

Christians think that Jesus is the greatest and latest prophet. Muslims think that Mohammed is the latest and greatest prophet. Mormons think that Joseph Smith filled that roll.

Why does it matter what others think so much?

Though you should probably get it right when you throw it out there. All three above think 'Jesus' is (at least) a prophet; two think He is the Messiah; one might think that Joseph Smith is the last prophet, but not the greatest.

But of the two who claim to follow Christ, it doesn't matter what they say; it matters what CHRIST says.

If we leave out "greatest," we can fill a book with groups and individuals who think someone was the latest prophet, like Scientologists believing L. Ron Hubbard was the latest prophet. We can fill volumes if we collect the names of people who are sure they have "heard" from the spirit world or from the creator in some way. So many prophets and claimers, so little time.

Again, so what?

What exactly is that supposed to prove? That because there are lies, there cannot be truth? I don't the logic follows that line of reasoning.

Again, for an atheist, I get that it is all the same to you. But for one who follows Christ... well, He specifically warned that many false christs and false prophets would come in His name. So that we knew of it ahead of time. In fact, He'd have been a false prophet if it hadn't happened.

Flood myths predate the Bible, one being the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Was the bible written in real time? Or after (perhaps even LONG after) the event in question?

Some even include instructions to build an ark or something similar to save life and animals. Virgin birth myths of other beliefs predate the Bible. No matter how many beliefs of Christianity can be found borrowed or stolen from other beliefs, some Christians go on their merry way insisting, "Yes, but my beliefs are genuine- from the source."

First... truth is truth. So some truths are within all belief systems, pre or post 'the bible' or 'christianity'. Some truths are 'heard', despite various differences in people and religions. Some just take what has been heard and apply it to their own religion, instead of the other way around. And some truths are carried down, from the start, and carried across different peoples and religions as people moved outward and (often) away from God.

Second, Christianity the religion is not Christ (not the Truth). No doubt that Christianity borrowed from other beliefs (though there aren't quite as many as some like to insist), and we can see that IN the religion, where some doctrines and beliefs and rituals and customs, etc, do NOT stand, when held up to the LIGHT (Christ).

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Tammy, no offense, but you're shown great resilience to logical thinking and rationalism which is the hallmark of someone possessing the short-term memory of a gnat; it's pointless to try to connect the dots, since you're unable to look at one dot without forgetting where the prior dot was located.

As an example, you just wrote this above:

Yes, lets look at the example so you can see the flaw in the conclusion that you have drawn, and then perhaps you can withdraw your insult. (and who says it is theists who resort to petty insults in a discussion with atheists, lol... what is that saying some have: the first person to toss an insult has lost?).

Adamah says: And remember the thief on the cross? His example indicates that general gullibility and a willingness to believe in what we WANT to be true is a valuable trait (esp when there's no other alternatives, in his case). He goes to heaven, despite being a thief his entire life?

YOU assumed what he felt.

TEC:
    You don't know what the thief on the cross felt.
    And then, in the VERY NEXT SENTENCE, you say:
    He KNEW he did wrong.

I didn't assume anything. I repeated what the thief, himself, stated:

"We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."

So Adamah, I did not forget what i said a moment earlier. I did not forget the 'former dot'. But nice try.

As if YOU know what he KNEW (I know, you trust the Lukian narrative on this one, and you don't need to rely on what Jesus told YOU about why he saved the thief....)

Well, make up your mind Adamah. You say I'm wrong on various matters because its not what is written (though it IS written, it just might be contradicted by other writings: hence looking to the Truth, for the truth); but YOU can go ahead and dismiss the written account whenever it suits your personal thoughts/beliefs? You do the very thing you accuse me of doing. But you... and those who are with you... are too blind to see it. (insert OTWO's blind pic here)

My point was that the account fits in with the NT agenda of placing FAITH above everything else, and that account demonstrates that exact tendency. You missed that point, but instead brought it back to YOUR gnosis, YOUR interpretation.

Hey, I'm not knocking putting faith in CHRIST, first (because faith in just anything means what?). Not at all.

I did, however, counter your opinion on the REASON for faith when I said that you do not know what the theif felt:

gullibility and a willingness to believe in what we WANT to be true

But you missed THAT point... to take a potshot that was based on another false opinion of yours.

Hence it's tiresome to engage with you, since you don't interact with a shred of "good faith", since YOU are the know-it-all who claims Jesus as your trump card in your back pocket, being able to insist YOU are right and the Bible account is wrong

Yeah... again... YOU are the one who made assumptions about what the thief felt... not me. I think that would make you the know-it-all here, yes?

And I NEVER insist that I am right. You keep missing that too.

I insist that CHRIST is right. And anything that i share... you can test against HIM.

But you don't do that either.

since you point to Jesus as your source, as if no one will notice that Jesus would have to be contradicting himself and ignorant of the Bible accounts!

Only according to your interpretation. He does not contradict Himself... though He might contradict some accounts as written in the OT, but then some accounts as written in the OT contradict one another too. (like saying that God punishes the sons for the sins of the Father... and also saying that God does NOT do such a thing, and that the saying 'the father eats sour grapes and the children's teeth are set on edge' should NEVER be repeated among the Israelites again) Though often it is a lack of understanding in the context that provides the contradiction.

Myself and others (eg jgnat) have shown contradictions and errors in your understanding (even on this thread as far as your misunderstanding of the concept of faith), but you're Teflon to logic, and there's no penetrating emotional defense mechanisms; that's on YOU to tear them down, not us.

No, you haven't. You think you have, but you really have not. Else it would not have been so hard to simply answer the questions that I asked you.

That's the dishonor you're actually providing to the spirit beings you CLAIM to be serving: you're in effect blaming THEM, and actually dishonoring them in the process. YOU, TEC, are providing AMPLE evidence that Gods are only a product of fallible human minds, even if you cannot see it yourself.

This sentence makes no sense. Blaming them for what? Would you not have to prove that your understanding is correct first... that faith is based on nothing really, that there cannot be evidence for faith or it is not faith? Well, the apostles and Moses and Abraham and Noah... ALL had evidence for their faith. But they still HAD faith in the One they KNEW, the one they HEARD. They had faith and exercised that faith by believing that One, and doing as He said. They were men of faith, and the author of Hebrews used them and their faith as examples of what faith IS. Why would the author of Hebrews show the people examples of faith, saying "this is faith"... but then state, as you are implying that he stated, "but don't mimic their faith. You can't have that faith. You just get to believe because THEY had faith, and you don't get to go farther than belief; you don't get to hear the Spirit. You put your faith in men, because you can't have that faith." Yeah see.. THAT... Adamah is exactly how religion and false teachers get a foothold over people, enslaving them. By the very teaching that YOU are proclaiming to be truth. So who are you really arguing for here? Because my Lord does not teach that. He never taught that. He taught: My sheep hear MY voice. Follow ME. I am the Truth and the Life. I will come to YOU, I will not leave you as orphans. If anyone loves me, they will obey my teachings, and my Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with them. The Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Truth, will teach you, and guide you into all truth. Here I am. I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. And as others taught: "Today if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts." "There is ONE mediator between man and God, the man 'Jesus' Christ"

Methinks you really should reflect on your own eisegetical rationale, since ironically, the advise we offer others often speaks more to the lessons we MOST need to learn. And you are NOT exempt from that rule, since it's a fundamental of human nature.

Of course I am not exempt from that rule. No one is.

So I'm agreeing with Cofty and OTWO here, as there's no point in continuing to engage in a 'conversation' with someone who is so cognitively-blinded so as to continue to violate the very rules they insist asymetrically apply to everyone else BUT themselves.

'Cept you were wrong above. So...

PS I did answer the question on Peter, since I advised you to read Aslan's book Zealot, wherein he discusses the "Messianic Secret"; sorry, but you're going to have to pay $$$ to buy the book or check it out from the library, if you want to know the opinions of Biblical scholars (or better yet, just ask Jesus: it's FREE!).

That is not an answer. That is an avoidance. And again, I don't care about the opinions of 'biblical scholars'... on the matter of what is true with regard to Christ and God. Scholars have all manner of opinions on such matters. I care what CHRIST says is true, and I can ask Him. But I was asking for your thoughts, as it pertains to your definition of faith. Peace, tammy

• cofty
    cofty

I like Tammy/Tec.

She helps a lot of ex-JWs get over the next hurdle and abandon all forms of theism, in favour of an evidence-based worldview.

Without her many people would still think christianity was logical.

• mP
    mP

Crofty:

Tec only talks that she believes, she never actually shows true faith. She never handles snakes like the gospels say true believers will be able too.

• adamah
    adamah

cofty said-

She helps a lot of ex-JWs get over the next hurdle and abandon all forms of theism, in favour of an evidence-based worldview.

Without her many people would still think christianity was logical.

Word on that! I think people like her and RoseMary are actually doing a public service, by demonstrating the fundamental illogic of professing faith in invisible beings. Without them, there'd be little debate going on, just a boring agreement (as found in the JWs).

TEC, my comments are based on your past history of being slippery, playing the "I know Jesus" trump card whenever you're cornered. As I said, you respect the plain-text reading (eg Lukian narrative of thief) when it supports your case, but expect us to respect your holding the magical invincable trump card, to play at your discretion.

Tell you what: why don't you use your Heavenly connections to do something useful by assembling a comprehensive list of Jesus-approved scriptures in the Bible which ARE divinely-inspired and true, and which ones are the product of 'lying scribes'? Then everyone wouldn't have to "test" scriptures for themelves, resulting in many interpretations. Perhaps another voice-hearer could INDEPENDENTLY do the same, and we could see if Jesus is consistent with himself?

(I know, it'll take a while, so I won't hold my breath).

Anyway, re-read this ENTIRE thread, do some independent research on the meaning implied the word 'hupostasis', reflect on the difference between having faith vs demonstrating that faith to others (via works), etc and hopefully someday you'll be able to see what Hebrews 11 is saying (no one can do your seeing for you).

Adam

• tec
    tec

Adamah, Hebrews speaks about what faith IS (assurance, certainty, knowing... not a mere hope; not a mere guess; not hedging one's bets; and you can use the word 'title-deed' if you choose, but it does not change the meaning from assurance or reality, because a title deed is simply proof/assurance/certainty of what has been promised).

You, however, fail to understand what faith is based UPON. Not upon hope... because faith gives hope. Hope is based on faith. Faith is based upon what is HEARD.

"Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ." Romans 10:17

Abraham heard God, and believed, and it was credited to him as righteousness.

Noah heard God, and believed.

My sheep HEAR MY VOICE, and follow me.

"How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly."

Jesus answered, "I did tell you, but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father's name speak for me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me."

(Nor does having evidence cancel out faith, and these are my Lord's words to his apostles: "Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing.")

And yes, blessed are those who have not seen, but believe... because faith comes from what is HEARD.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit