How Many Enjoy Celebrating Holidays? Birthdays?

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

I'm still not 100% comfortable, but I do enjoy it immensely. My work surprised me this year and I was sooo embarrassed for the fuss. My family threw me my very first party in my whole life last month, and that was quite fun. But truthfully, I enjoy the doing it for others more. It's so fun. I remember arguing about celebrating birthdays when I was a JW, and one guy told me, "it's not that we don't think about others throughout the year, but birthdays give you the opportunity to make it special and to think about the person even more." He was right.

I LOVE Xmas. Even when I was a JW I loved the shiny sparkly-ness of it all. The families and friends getting together. I just love it.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I would love to go all out and celebrate them all but my husband still feels guilty. Instead we go out to dinner for birthdays and for Christmas I'll usually do a in house scavenger hunt for the kids.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

We do. This is the first year as a whole family we will celebrate together.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/private/252119/1/My-daughters-first-birthday

No guilt!

First holiday I celebrated was, with my 3 year old son, Halloween. He loved it. He’s excited for this year. He wants to be a zombie. My 16 mnth old daughter will be the Tin Man with an axe and all. Mrs. Dazed bought the material to make it. I will post pics after Halloween.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

>>> How Many Enjoy Celebrating Holidays? Birthdays? <<<

Only With Wreckless Abandon.

• Skbj
    Skbj

hmm...I am not so bothered about the "celebration" itself. Depends on the mood. I prefer cards to gifts. Like a birthday/xmas/valentine card would do me :)

might change if I have kids. I only enjoyed celebrating my birthday once. The first time I properly did when I was 25, after that I did a few times now I go out for drinks more because my friends insist I do something but otherwise I'm happy with a simple celebration. I think is because I'm getting old more than anything else lol

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Holidays are fun. I use to work on those days because all the "worldly" people wanted off and when I was a jw I did not need to be off. Now it is fun to enjoy those days off of work with relatives and work mates.

• chickpea
    chickpea

i acknowledge other people's penchant for holiday participation, and in fact encourage my now adult children to attach meaning to any, all or none of the holidays as they see fit... for the one kid still in this little town, i always offer to have a fancier meal or some sort of acknowledgement if he has the interest

the only thing i am certain to do is call them on their birthdays and tell them what their births were like (all home birthed) and they always seem to like to hear the stories of their emergence...

i am actually annoyed i got a xmas catalog in the mail this week

• minimus
    minimus

DON'T FEEL GUILTY ABOUT ENJOYING THE FESTIVITIES!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I do enjoy them. Celebrating special days is one of the joys of life. It doesn't matter how you do it, it can be all out if I am the mood, or something simple, the point is to stop and acknowledge the occasion. I have two grandchildren, one five years old and one eighteen. It's true they grow up so fast, so it is important to stop and take the time to get them a little gift or visit them. Every child should feel they are important at least once a year.

Slimboyfat, sorry you are having a bad day

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

We haven't done anything yet, though a friend bought us a gift for our DOG and sang Happy Birthday to him while I stood there like an idiot.... (Our friend loves our dog, lol, and our dogs play great together....)

I don't know if we can yet get past the guilt and "materialistic aspect" of certain holidays or not! They sure do look like a lot of fun, though...

I've been thinking about Halloween lately, and how that seems like it might be fun!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit