Am I wasting my time?

by mrhhome 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Watkins
    Watkins

Oops - went off on a jaunt and forgot to address the question, lol.

Planting seeds is what we do... so, no, you're not wasting your time by showing them real Christian attitudes. If the inculcation is deep - and the wt pumps them full of fresh vitriol at every meeting - then it'll take a lot of seed-planting. It's never a waste when all you're doing is letting your light shine and showing what real love is - what it looks like, how it acts and talks - how it feels. Seriously - they are taught to oppose love since, 'the heart is treacherous'. wt doctrines are a hot twisted mess... not really Christian, actually.

So if you think you can swoop in and save them all from the cult - which we'd all love to do for our loved ones caught in it's web - that's probably not going to happen... but who knows how those little seeds might grow, even in those adverse conditions some seeds may manage to sprout!

Happy planting!

Watkins

• Skbj
    Skbj

Hi and welcome.

I'm confused from a part of the story you said her father is a non-believer, but the uncle (father's brother) received a JW's funeral. So I take it the uncle was JW too? Or did they impose their funeral religious function to her uncle? Just asking because when my granddad died they did that with him. And he was not a believer never set foot in a KH...

Anyway if her father is a non-believer and she clearly was there to show support to him, they were totally out of place to behave like that whether she is DA or DF, so well done for telling her brother how you felt. If were me when he offered to shake his hand I would have told him to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Do I think you are wasting your time? Probably. Do I think you should address it? Sure, if will make you feel better. If you are like me this type stuff just boils me inside until it has to come out eventually.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Welcome. Why not mention that you were checking out the new JW.org site and wondered why it clearly states, to the public, that JW's do NOT shun? Let them to explain the discrepancy to you?

• Perry
    Perry

Yes, I had that shunning scripture pointed out to me as well. Let's look at that shall we?

But I now have written unto you not to keep company with any man who is called a brother if he is a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner. With such a one you are not even to eat. 1 Cor. 5:11

When I get this scripture quoted to me I ask the person if they are also familiar with the 9th commandment: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour. Where is your evidence that I am any of those things? I then remind them of God's punishment for false accusers.

Deuteronomy 19 ... if the witness is a false witness, who has testified falsely against his brother, "then you shall do to him as he thought to have done to his brother; so you shall put away the evil from among you.

I then advise them to repent.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Your my hero.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

Respect to you Sir.

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

You did more good than you know by blasting that nonsense and calling it what it is. They are not used to being confronted about their petty nonsense. I can assure you that several JWs felt the heat of the truth. You did well. Now you can be the nice guy, but they will never forget that day that you called them out. They know you were the only one being truthful that day.

Now, let me go back and read all the other poster's comments.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Good for you. It's very important to call people on their BS. You stood up for your wife. How I love that! You've always been nice to them, they are the ones who put the wedge in place.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

• laverite
    laverite

Are you going to be able to reason with them and convince them of anything? Highly, highly, highly unlikely. That said... You are a hero in my book! Wow. Well done. Do not regret a thing. Awesome husband all the way.

• Aunt Fancy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit