Am I wasting my time?

by mrhhome 36 Replies latest jw friends

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

I am the husband of an ex-JW. She left when she was 18, because she was dating a non-JW. They got married, and he began openly cheating on her. After several years of forgiving him, she finally divorced. No kids thankfully. Several years later, we met and eventually married. We have made a family together.

To further complicate the story, she was sexually abused by a JW when she was a young teenager. When she came forward, she was “reproved” for adultery. Fortunately, the abuser was DF’ed. However, her father is a non-believer, and her Mom has kept it secret from him to this day.

Over the years, she reached a truce with her family. We were not close, but they would visit once a year. I actually liked them.

It hit the proverbial fan at her uncle’s funeral. Her uncle and his family were JW. Her cousin is an elder. My wife wanted to support her father. I asked whether there would be any JW issues. Her Mom and brother (still JW) gave assurances that there would not be.

All went well at first. My wife spent her time helping her mother prepare the pamphlet for her JW uncle’s memorial service. I spent some time with her brother. Good guy actually. We even spent time with her uncle’s family. I offered my condolences, and my kids seemed to get along well with his grandkids.

Then the JW laid down the law. As we were preparing to get in the car to go to the memorial service, her brother stands before us with Bible in hand. He asked me if I knew a certain scripture (probably 1 Cor 5), and I responded “Not memorized.” As he began flipping through the Bible, I looked at him directly and asked “Let’s get to the point. What are you about to spring on us?”

He began shaking like a leaf. I mean really physically shaking. I have never seen anything like it before. He was obviously distraught. He responds that “I just want you to understand.” My response was something like “I grew up a Southern Baptist. I am used to watching people go over the cliff doing dumb stuff.” My wife (his sister) hugged him and held him for a while. She told him that it was all OK.

The punch-line was that we could go to the memorial service, but that my wife was shunned from the wake. After the memorial service, we met up with one of her non-JW cousins who skipped the wake and had dinner by the beach. It was actually a nice evening.

By the time we got back, I had been stewing for a while. I erupted. I walked in and ripped into her brother. “I have stayed out of this Witness nonsense for 12 years, but I’ll be damned if I am going to let anyone disrespect my wife. She came here to pay her respects to the family and support her father. How dare you throw her under the bus? I am done with this BS. This nonsense needs to end now.”

I must have been pretty mad, because I remember the frightened look in his eyes.

Later he came out and offered to shake my hand. I looked at him and said “I am sorry. I don’t have it in me. I cannot shake hands with someone who will do that to my wife.”

Needless to say, her family has since avoided us like the plague. We have corresponded and gotten the usual JW lines. Her Mom even came close to saying that the sexual abuse was my wife’s fault. She is all twisted and contorted inside.

Of course, I came to a revelation. As I began studying the scripture they cited for shunning family, I discovered that the scripture does not support their actions. I have attempted to engage them in a meaningful discourse on that scripture, but they have avoided the subject.

In hindsight, I regret getting angry. Of course, it is an impossible position as a husband. If I defend my wife, I will drive a wedge between her and her family. If I maintain the peace, I have to let JW walk all over her. That is not something I can support. She has been a loyal wife, a dedicated Mom, and an exemplary Christian. She deserves better.

My wife thinks that I am wasting my time trying to talk to them. As she says, "You underestimate the power of their conviction. You cannot reason with them."

Maybe she is right, but I hold out hope that her brother will realize that this is non-sense. Am I wasting my time?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Pour all that righteous indignation in to loving your wife.

• steve2
    steve2

You sound like an absolutely wonderful husband who cares deeply about how your wife's own family treat her and you did your best to defend your wife and verbally object to the way her family treated her. Your anger is perfectly normal - you did nothing wrong, man.

Your wife is truly lucky to have you as her husband. In my book, you are a truly admirable man.

So, are you wasting your time? No. Sometimes in life when we feel compelled to make a stand, others react by going into an official sulk - because, quite frankly, they have nothing constructive to offer in return but vain and empty "reasoning".

Will her brother ever change? Who knows? But this much I do know: keep focusing on the clear loving relationship you have with your wifeand encourage her to hold her head high and to never apologize to anyone over what happened to her when she was a JW.

Again, wow! You are a wonderful man! very few spouses would have the courage to stick up for their partners under the difficult circumstances you were in.

• MrCellophane
    MrCellophane

Sadly, yes. The more you push against them, the more entrenched they'll become. Their minds are completely closed to anything that doesn't come from the watchtower.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I'd say yes with regard to getting them to change, but you did the right thing! For sure, 100% absolutely the best you could have done for your wife. And welcome (from Poland), You will get a lot of positive responses to your post but it will be hard to beat what steve2 said.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

I don't think you should regret becoming angry and calling them out on their bs. It's done, and from what you tell us of your wifes history, they had it coming. You had your wifes back, and that is what a loving, Christian husband does. Kudos.

I don't know what your mother in law said to make you think that she was coming close to blaming your wife for the sexual abuse, but perhaps you should be shunning HER! Her placing the blame on the victim is not scriptural, and certainly not what a loving mother would do. And why has it been kept from the Father? Does he have a violent temper? I'm sure the family has good reason.

It sounds like the brother may know what they did was wrong, but does not know what else to do.

I see no harm in the occassional scriptural discussion, but perhaps just keeping it cordial and keeping your distance right now would be the best route. I think your wife has been through quite a lot, and is blessed with a great husband.

• happy@last
    happy@last

Do you want to build a bridge to people like that? It's a cult. Continue loving your wife and be thankful she escaped, she's been through enough as a result of that organisation.

• bildad
    bildad

I'm sure he stood up to read the Scripture because he was "counseled" to do that.

I started to suggest that you might ask her brother if he really felt that if Jesus was in the room, he would shun your sister, my wife.

But you know, your wife already did everything that was needed when she went over to her brother and hugged him.

The rest is really up to him. He was shaking because he knew that he was doing something he doesn't agree with in his heart. He was doing what he was told, not what he truly believed was right.

You sound like a good man.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

You are wasting your time trying to convince them that shunning is an unloving thing. It was very good on your part to support your wife like you did. Continue to support her, the jws will not.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I'm going to take a slightly different road that I normally would with this. First of all, you didn't mention your wife being "disfellowshipped". Was she or was it just that strange reproof for being a victim? That seems very odd.

Here is my thought. Since you are an "unbeliever", there is not reason for them to shun you. Why not study up on the subject, go meet with her brother or whomever, and discuss it. If your wife hasn't been disfellowshipped, there isn't even a JW reason she should really be shunned. its kind of at their discression. I mean really RESEARCH what their own publications say. You are in a aunique position to be able to speak to them about things your wife NEVER would be allowed to say. Present yourself as questioning, and "trying to understand", where they are coming from. That will help.

Just ahtought. Chances are however, that you are bumping up against a brick wall. No matter how shameful and unchristian that behavior is, loyalty to the org is considered loyalty to God.

You guys should have attended the wake. That was her father. Screw what they thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit