Zebras (Awake! magazine Jan 2001)

by Duncan 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I can explain their lack of explanation ...

If they admitted that the stripes were, as we know, a way of confusing predators then they would have to admit that god created predators in the first place and that they were not created as herbivores which learnt to kill form man (which is what they currently teach).

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

And all this time I assumed that Zebras had such cool stripes because they needed more interesting area rugs in heaven.

• Xander
    Xander

which learnt to kill form man (which is what they currently teach).

So, uhhhhh....where did the dinosaurs learn to kill?

(Actually, to answer my own question, I DID have a CO try and explain this once. I guess he had read how the stegosauros (?sp?) tail had been put together wrong for so many years, and he explained that is what obviously happened with the dinosaur mouths - just scientists trying to put forth their evolutionary theaory, since, obviously, all dinosaurs were herbivores....[8>]...anyone else heard this one?)

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

lol six.

And all this time I assumed that Zebras had such cool stripes because they needed more interesting area rugs in heaven.

Priceless....lol

HS

• Pardus
    Pardus

I've noticed that the Awake! articles about nature and animals have gotten a little better. They are not as dumbed down or short as in previous years, but still if you want any in-depth information without reading technical papers, National Geographic, National Wildlife, Wildlife Conservation, and others are much better. You just can't expect much from Awake! And yes, some of their theories like all dinosaurs being herbivores are really silly.

• Waygooder64
    Waygooder64

That is pretty good stuff!! LOLOL Good job Dunc!

• Farkel
    Farkel

Hillary,

: His comment however about the simplistic nature of the argument was the most interesting one that he made, "HS we do not write these articles for experts, but for the ignorant, these are the people who make up most of our Brotherhood'.

This begs the question, "Are the articles written to inform the ignorant, or are the articles written to KEEP people ignorant?"

Given the history of the WTS over the last eighty years, you can pretty much guess which answer is closest to the truth.

Simon,

: If they admitted that the stripes were, as we know, a way of confusing predators then they would have to admit that god created predators in the first place and that they were not created as herbivores which learnt to kill form man (which is what they currently teach).

Obviously you didn't know that straw is a dangerous predator. For your information, straw is known to hunt in packs and "stalk" their prey. Zebras have stripes so the straw predators can't recognize them so easily and pounce on them and devour them. This God-given relationship keeps a healthy population balance between Zebras and straw.

It's all Bible-based.

Farkel

• Teirce
    Teirce

JWs are for all intents and purposes illiterate. This doesn't mean that they are incapable of interpreting a series of cyphers to extract an intended meaning. It means that because of their mental and physical isolationism of said cyphers, they are unable to grasp the thought of what IS actually literature, ie, the great works of great men who have lived in great moments. The WTS insists on their members becoming "literate", and why? So they have a ready-made recepticle that cannot question and expurgate the contents poured into it. IE, those who must think and discuss are able to question immediately, for if a food smells bad, we as animals generally avoid it, immediately. This reading medium is a pillar of the hypnotism which commands that one allay and defer their questions until they've seen 'more of the big picture'. No less, the WTS uses the term "literature" to insinuate that they, as literary men who are capable of having "translated" Bibles themselves, are fluent in all forms of classical writings and human wisdoms, and have evaluated them in the light of deity, and have found them entirely wanting. What the WTS calls "literature" is not worthy of the word, but is trash that hasn't found its way to the landfill as yet.

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Teirce, When my father was in hospital he was visited by an elder, who noted that dad had a novel on his bedside table. The elder took a moment to tell my father that he shouldn't be reading worldly literature but should restrict himself to WT books. You know? So he could fast track it to demensia!

Marilyn

• LDH
    LDH

Didn't Focus at one time write a treatise on carnivores who love straw?

Or maybe it was AlanF.

Or was it you, Fark?

Either way, I'd love to see it reposted here.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit