Do you or yours have heart disease?

by compound complex 23 Replies latest watchtower medical

• compound complex
    compound complex

I appreciate your reply, Giordano. Another survivor among the others who have posted. Yes, this question-and-answer session has something to do with me. Gratefully, CC

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Like Englishman, I inherited mitral valve prolapse and its accompanying a-fib*. My valve was repaired - reinforced with a plastc ring, and the a-fib took two sessions of catheter ablation to finally clear (after the first cath on the left nodes I was left with an a-flutter - better than a-fib but not normal) the second catheter ablation was on the right side, and that did the trick). Unlike Englishman, I am still fairly sedentary.

*I was also diagnosed with sleep apnea. I havn't used my CPAP since I came home from the hosital following my heart surgery. If YOU have sleep apnea - periodic cessation of breathing while you are asleep, PLEASE seek treatment of the apnea (a CPAP) and, if you can, go further to get the underlying cause of the apnea resolved. DO NOT rely on what your CPAP techs and their RNs tell you; they have a vested interest in keeping you on CPAP - they SELL YOU continuing supplies and service. I asked the RN I was working with if she ever had someone recover to the point of not needing the CPAP any longer and she said no. To me the goal of medicine is RECOVERY (healing) not maintaining the status quo. You have to participate in your healing by being your own best medical advocate.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Sorry for your ordeal, Nathan. I agree with our need to heal and get off mechanics and meds, if at all possible. Thanks for this: "You have to participate in your healing by being your own best medical advocate." CC

• tec
    tec

Heart disease also runs in my family. My grandfather (on my mother's side) had three by-pass surgeries, and eventually a heart transplant. He was the oldest person in Canada to receive a heart for a heart transplant, and he lived a long time after that; outlived all of the others in his particular group at the same time. Maybe 15 more years out of that transplant? My grandfather on my father's side died young of a heart attack. My father recently had a minor heart attack and had a valve put in. Hard for him because he has always kept active, doesn't smoke, doesn't drink. But because of that, I think his recovery went well. I don't think my grandfather was rushed into anything... everything they did for him helped him live much longer. My dad's happened quick, but I don't think he felt rushed. Perhaps because my mom already knew a lot about options and such, because of her father, and my father trusted her when she said to trust the doctors. Peace, tammy

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I recommend the book, Stop heart disease now, by Dr. Sinatra. He is a carriologist and he treats his patients with both statins and certain vitamins/supplements. He has helped people with severe heart disease improve dramatically. He is against statins where there is no risk factor other than high cholesterol. I followed his advice, my doctor was pushing statins because I had high cholesterol. I was unable to get my total cholesterol lower than 330, even with doing all the standard dietary recommendations. I kept seeking answers, started on a gluten free diet and added coconut oil to my diet, plus added coq 10 and other things he recommends. My total cholesterol is now 219, and I don't avoid meat or high fat dairy. I do avoid sugar, junk food, bad fat, margarine, and processed foods.

If you have known heart disease, statins can be a life saver. If you don't, taking statins for prevention is a huge experiment, with no proven benefit. There are side effects to statins. I believe the drug companies have pushed this for their benefit, not ours. I see a heart doctor due to a condition called Wolf-Parkinson White syndrome. It's an extra electrical pathway in the heart that can cause arrhythmias, but doesn't for me. The cardiologist was convinced I had heart disease, he gave me an echocardiogram, my arteries were fine. He still pushed the stains, I said no, I have many other medical problems, and take three other meds, I don't add anything they the mix unless I am sure of it, I was not convinced. Every time you add a new drug, the chances of side effects and harmful interactions goes up.

Of course if I had actual heart disease, I would take statins, but until then, no.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Good for you Lisa, I refuse to take statins too, first time I found out my cholesterol was high two years ago, Dr prescribed it, had it filled, looked it up on the web and said no F*** ing way am I gonna take this. I eat oatmeal, take Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and Artichoke Leaf Extract and a few other things to keep it down, sometimes when i get lax it does go up, but I will never take a statin. But the thing you also have to remember is, since Dr.s found out they could make money pushing all these statins, what the normal reading was thirty or so years ago is about 75 plus points lower than what it's considered now. My current reading is high for the "modern readings" but I'm not that concerned because thirty years ago, before all these new drugs my reading would've been fine.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

1) What was your reaction to the diagnosis? Relief. I've had atrial fibrillation my whole life, my mother called it "palpitations," and put it down to nerves. I finally started being treated at age 43! 2) Have you gotten another opinion? Every doctor I've seen, gen. practitioners and cardiologists, agree, atrial fibrillation. Atrial fibrillation eventually develops into congestive heart failure, so I've got that now, too. 3) Did you feel rushed into proposed tests and treatment? I was grateful to finally have a good cardiac workup. There's nothing wrong with tests. They give you more accurate information to deal with. 4) Have you sought alternative therapy? Alternative therapy doesn't really do enough for all my stuff. I eat my veggies, fruit, grains, that sort of thing. Try to get enough exercise. But the best medicine for me has been to move to Mt. Shasta, away from all the stress and responsibility I had before. My ejection fraction was 35% when I moved here. It is 55% now, which I attribute to the meds I take and the lack of stress. 5) Other thoughts or experiences? My atrial fibrillation is chronic, I've had two cardioversions but the results lasted less than a week. It's just part of my life. I keep my blood pressure at low-normal, don't have diabetes, take my meds -- for which I am very grateful -- and work on getting enough exercise. That's my recommendation, take the meds, eat as well as you can, reduce stress, get some exercise ---- and come visit me in Mt. Shasta! My sofa is available to any of you heart sufferers. We can mosey around the mountain and laugh a lot. J'ai essayé d'apprendre à parler français. C'est un processus lent. C'est amusant, though. Hortensia du cœur ETA -- sorry it's all jumbled into one paragraph!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Wonderful to see all your replies . . . Just got in from a slowly but methodically accomplished housecleaning job. Not too many years ago it would've been a breeze. Took me all day. Wouldn't you know -- it's my cardiologist's house, and we had a long and very reassuring talk about my condition. All these years I was told I had asthma. Respond to your appreciated repiles later . . . CC du coeur auusi

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

At 56 I just went to the dr for a routine physical. My blood pressure is 124/78 and heart is just fine. My only fear is that I get hit by a bus.

But before that I need to get a colonoscopy. ...may be the bus is a better option.

• satinka
    satinka

My health has never been better. I've done much good healing since leaving the old belief system in my dust.

The df'ing was the anchor point where I could turn around toward good health.

The religion was going to kill me if I didn't heal those old harmful beliefs.

satinka

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit