Do you or yours have heart disease?

by compound complex 23 Replies latest watchtower medical

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings: We are growing older and have developed illnesses we never imagined would touch us. If you (or a family member or acquaintance) have been diagnosed with heart disease . . . 1) What was your reaction to the diagnosis? 2) Have you gotten another opinion? 3) Did you feel rushed into proposed tests and treatment? 4) Have you sought alternative therapy? 5) Other thoughts or experiences? I am very grateful for any information you might wish to share. CoCo du Coeur

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

I can only tell you about my brother Mike who once posted here as Englishman.

He was born with a defective mitral valve. It's a family trait that has thankfully passed me by. He coped OK most of the time but when he got into his 60's found that he could barely walk half a mile due to the associated atrial fibrillation. He pushed the NHS to operate sooner rather than later and eventually they repaired the valve. Once he was over the surgery he became like a dog with 2 tails and he and his wife have now resumed their love of foreign walking holidays. He's hail and hearty and blesses the Bristol Royal Infirmary!

• blondie
    blondie

1) What was your reaction to the diagnosis?

Heart failure, not heart attack, no surgery possible; like facing immediate death

2) Have you gotten another opinion?

Not needed as discovered in midst of failure in ER with immediate treatment, heart shocking

3) Did you feel rushed into proposed tests and treatment?

Not at all, grateful for the diligent attention, only real treatment is heart transplant

Adjustments with meds, etc, increased fraction from 10 to 25%, now 45% after 10 years

4) Have you sought alternative therapy?

Change of diet and exercise with meds reduced to only one at this time

5) Other thoughts or experiences?

Disregarded initial signs; should have gone sooner for examination

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

My daughter (37) has congestive heart failure, and cardiomyopathy. She was diagnosed about 2 and a half years ago. When she was diagnosed, it was end stage congestive heart failure because her ejection fraction was 8. She has been recovering amazingly well...and her ef is now 40. She is no longer in end stage chf. She has the best doctor on the planet. I am forever grateful! Coffee

• bigmac
    bigmac

heart problems abound in my family--on my fathers side. he has survived 2 heart attacks--and is now 92. several of my aunts and uncles and cousins have died young. ages 15-39. one cousin had a successful heart/lung transplant last year--at Papworth--UK. i had a heart attack in 1996--age 48. i'm now 65--and doing OK. i have some clogged up arteries--but drugs keep it all working. roll on the new system.

• bigmac
    bigmac

hmmm--i typed the above in several paragraphs---not all in one like that.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, friends, for your helpful comments. Paragraphing not working for OP. Maybe now? CC

• prologos
    prologos

I survived a massive heart attack, because 2 great medical people were right there when it happened. since then we have done great --and these things: change diet, mostly vegetarian & fish do not let elders or anyone hassle you. smile and laugh more, about the laughable like talking snake--feeding of religious food starting in 1919-- GB & elders will lead you through A--- and treasure, savour the moment; use the best doctors.

• compound complex
    compound complex

You're a survivor, prologos! Thanks so much for your story. CC

• Giordano
    Giordano

I had open heart surgery in 1987 and received a heart valve. This was a birth defect that grew worse. Shortness of breath increased year by year. There was no alternative treatment. The operation was a success. Should I assume this is about you C C? If so I'd get a second opinion at a hospital that does a lot of the type of surgery you might need or to at least understand in depth what condition you have. The best news is that heart treatment or surgery has advanced greatly. People in their late eighties are capable of tolerating treatment and can make a full recovery. Gio

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit